The Tuesday, March 11th, 2003 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
up your nose with a rubber hose... wow didn't think I'd ever quote Whoreshack from Welcome Back Kotter

Well that's another one or two ays, epening on where you are. I've ecie I'm going to buy iniviual Clash albums rather than the 'Essential Clash' thing, unless there are cool liner notes an stuff.

Min your ''s.

MARCH 11 IS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock the Casbah

Dance in disarray

TOMORROW!!!!!!

I cant believe tomorrow is March 11. I'm going to need to change my signature at some point in time.

NEW AFI AND THE CLASH ALBUMS WILL BE MINE IN HALF A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could see whats left of The Clash @ the R&R Hall of Fame thingy tonite. Elvis Costello, The Police & The Clash all inducted. Heaven on earth!!!!!!!!!:drool:

i totally forgot that was tonight...

and an UPDATE:
u.s. bombs album MARCH 25ht, NOT MARCH 11th...like anyone really cared about that one...more people probably cared about everclear :shrug:

but i'm just saying, it's not going to be in stores tomorrow like i thought, epitaph pushed back the release date :mad:

I know what is going to be out tomorrow:

AFI - Sing the Sorrow
The Clash - Essential Clash

I know what I'm going to be listening to tomorrow:

AFI - Sing the Sorrow
The Clash - Essential Clash

WOO FREAKING HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from Circuit City

AFI - SING THE SORROW was $5.99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yee haw. They only had 2 left and I had to search for them. I got the limited edition silver cover though. Yee haw.

The Clash - Essential Clash -$21 for 2 cd's, that's a good deal! I havent even opened it yet. I will do that right now.

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just got The Clash for $15.88!
I want to listen to it right now but I have classes for the next 4 1/2 hours
I can't wait to get home!

AFI - Sing the Sorrow has 2 hidden songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One has really cool lyrics, but it's just people reciting the words, like a book on tape with music.

The other song, This Time Imperfect, WOW. Could end up being my favorite song on the whole album!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now listening to Essential Clash.

I just listened to the first song I'd never heard before, Capital Radio One. Buying this 2 CD set was worth it just for that song so far. It was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Songs I hadnt heard & my opionions on them:

Capital Radio One (just listened, GREAT!)
Safe European Homes (listening, dont even need to finish it. Could end up becoming one of my favorite Clash songs)
Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad (Ok, this is great too. I'm getting ticked I havent heard all of these songs!)
Stay Free (Fantasmulisic. guitar = good, bass part & guitar solo at the end are great!)
Groovy Times (This sounds like no other Clash song I've ever heard. Groovy is right!)
Ivan Meets GI Joe (I like all the production/electronica. Sounds like a dance track, I'm into that. Got old fast, not bad though)
Police On My Back (The guitar is AWESOME!! I REALLY like this one!)
Stop the World ( I like the beat/tempo on this one. Cool, but nothing to write home about)
Somebody Got Murdered (Good guitar, I really like this one)
The Streed Parade (Awesome. Cool bass, cool beat!)
Ghetto Defendant (pretty cool song, I like the voice in the background)
Straight To Hell (I've heard it before, dont remember it)(definitly great, a classic)
This is England (I was scared to hear it. In all actuality, I really like it)

My final thoughts on Essential Clash - It's essential.

This is written in the album booklet, "Ask anyone who knows - The Clash were just about the most important band to ever walk the planet."

Last edited:
bought the afi, didn't buy the clash. if i had so much as looked at the cd i'd be down 20 bucks now...so i went in the store, grabbed the afi cd, paid and left. i may have been in the store a minute, maybe less.

excellent cd thoughl, i'm enjoying it more now that i've got it on cd than when i was just listening to the mp3s. "this celluloud dream" is my favourite now

but i love the secret tracks too!

mofo, where's that full analysis on the clash songs that you'd not heard before? those little comments don't cut it ;)

don't you think that "this is england" could be a really good guitar song...had that riff just not been so snyth-y?

u2popmofo said:

Capital Radio One (just listened, GREAT!)

yeah, isn't it? it sounds really great when you listen to it sandwiched in the middle of garageland and complete control...but it's a really good song by itself too of course

u2popmofo said:

Safe European Homes (listening, dont even need to finish it. Could end up becoming one of my favorite Clash songs)

definetly a great song. just don't try to use it as an alarm clock cos that first chord has enough energy to literally kick you out of bed and into the ceiling. ok, so maybe you have to sleep on a loft to hit the ceiling, but it's still crazy...definetly one of my favourites (but then again so are most clash songs)

u2popmofo said:

Ghetto Defendant (pretty cool song, I like the voice in the background)

allen ginsberg

u2popmofo said:

My final thoughts on Essential Clash - It's essential.

This is written in the album booklet, "Ask anyone who knows - The Clash were just about the most important band to ever walk the planet."

:up: of course!

Haha, I've only listened to those songs once or twice each. I cant give more analysis that that right now.

Have you looked at the lyrics in the AFI CD booklet? I wasnt even close in what I thought they were saying most of the time. Cool lyrics though.

The Clash cd's are great. Well worth the money, that's for sure. The booklet doesnt have too much in it. One cool thing is that right when you open the booklet facing you says,"Whilst we were compiling this album we suffered the tragic and untimely loss of our friend and collaborator Joe Strummer. We would like to dedicate theis album to his memory. Joe Strummer 1952-2002"

i read the afi lyrics while i was waiting for my orthadontist appointment...i have this terrible tendency to be early...i really WANTED to be late....i wanted to be able to say i was late cos i had to buy the sfi album FIRST...but i managed to get all the stuff i needed to get done in town before going to the orthadontist (going to the ATM, returning my library books, hanging up some flyers for a show the radio station is sponsering, getting the cd)

i had no idea what was being said anyway, the only words i really knew were "cinematic" and "melt away"...good music. really great cd. i'm listening to it now. third time.

:up: everyone who didn't listen to us and get it today better go get it tomorrow.

u2popmofo said:

Who is that?

a realy well-known beat poet, i wish i had the exact quote from the box set cd book where strummer was talking about how they got ginsberg to write half the song...i'll have the quote by the end of next week, at anyrate...but i don't have the cd book with me right now...

hold on, i'll go find you some info...

Allen Ginsberg, b. Newark, N.J., June 3, 1926, is an American poet and leading apostle of the beat generation. His first published work, Howl and Other Poems (1956), sparked the San Francisco Renaissance and defined the generation of the '50s with an authority and vision that had not occurred in the United States since T. S. Eliot captured the anxiety of the 1920s in The Waste Land. Ginsberg's bardic rage against material values, however, was in a voice very different from Eliot's scholarly mourning for the loss of the spirit. In his second major work, Kaddish (1961), a poem on the anniversary of his mother's death, Ginsberg described their anguished relationship. In the 1960s, while vigorously participating in the anti-Vietnam War movement, he published several poetic works, including Reality Sandwiches (1963) and Planet News (1969). The Fall of America received the National Book Award for 1974. Collected Poems, 1947-85 (1995) contains all of his important work; White Shroud (1987) includes poems from the 1980s. Ginsberg sees himself as a part of the prophetic tradition in poetry begun by William Blake and continued by Walt Whitman. He names his contemporary influences as William Carlos Williams and his friend Jack Kerouac.

there's more stuff there if you're really interested, i didn't really go through the whole site, it was just the first one i clicked...

Back
Top Bottom