The Tragically Hip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WAS WRITTEN BY AN AMERICAN!!!

I have to say that I absolutely love this band.

I have to say that anyone who loves U2, likes REM, and is interested in very good music with an amazing lead singer, check out The Tragically Hip.

The Tragically Hip are a Canadian band who have been around for I would guess about 15 years. Their songs tell stories much like that of REM, and many of them have Canadian history backgrounds. The band is really good musically, but the lead singer "Gordie" blows every lead singer I have ever heard out of the water. He is very much like Michael Stipe in appearance, demeanor, and storytelling, but he has a set of lungs on him that produces deep deep sounds.

The greatest paradox about this band is that they can sell out arenas and stadiums in Canada, but when they tour the states they are lucky to sell out a theater or club. When I was in college I heard they were coming to an old theater on the outskirts of Boston, so I went to go see them. The place was half empty and the half that were there were all waving Canadian flags. My friends and I really did not give them a chance, and we left early.

After that I heard they had opened for Robert Plant (I think) and heard they did a sold out arena tour in Canada. I gave them another chance and got a few records.

In grad school I heard they were coming to another theater (about 4 years later) so I got some tix. I could only get mezannine seats, but someone actually droped a floor seat on the ground on the way in because he could not sell it. I picked it up and was in about the 3rd row. I have to say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. No real stage show, few lights, but big sound. I am totally blown away by the lead singer and suggest people check out this band.

My favorite album is called "Day for Night" and my favorite song is the first one off of that album called "Grace, Too"

They opened the show with that song when I saw them and have to say it is the quintesencial opener...

Check them out - I think you will like them....

From the perspective a a Canadian, I have had them hailed to me as the premier canadian band for 15 years and it is just not true.

they have good songs, and God knows Gord is an amazing writer...among the best there are anywhere. But I find a lot of their songs lacking of something I can't quite put my finger on. Just doens't grab me.

But like I said, they have great songs. I especailly like a few songs off the album that has Bob Cagien.

I also appreciate it because his lyrics are rife with beautiful Canadian landscape imagery!

I know what you mean.

I think it is because they have two guitarists....

I cannot trust a band with 2 guitarists...

Easily one of the best live bands around. I've seen Gord and the boys about 8 times. They were here in the summer for a outdoor event. It was huge like 60000ppl it was great he can put a show on. And the last month they played three shows here at a 200 capacity place it was great. They played pretty much three different sets.

Oh and if you want to here what GOD(gord) sounds like in live, listen to New Orelans is sinking(Killer Whale Tank)!!! Its absoulutly great!!

Most of the people I know (Canadians, mind you) don't care much for the Hip. I presonally find Downie's voice a bit on the annoying side, and the music kinda rambling. Of course they do have good songs, but just not all they're often cracked up to be in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom