The top 10 most influential Interferencers of alltime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
Interferencers who've made the biggest impact since the forums were opened in May 2000. Bear in mind this is for biggest impact fullstop, both good and bad, kinda like TIME magazine's person of the year award, whose past winners include Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Ayatollah Khomeni. This list might include a few names not familiar to those of you who haven't been here terribly long, but I'll try to give a brief summary as to why they made the list.

1. Elvis

Founder/owner/landlord/promoter/master of ceremonies. Need we say more?

2. Sicy/Sicilian Goddess

Made an undeniable impact when she joined in January 2001, and has risen from smilie queen to forum empress in the 18 months or so since. Has had an impact almost everywhere at Interference, but my personal favourite remains the influx of smilies!

3. Achtung Bubba

Until his recent departure, Bubba's time here had been marked by two distinct periods. The first saw him as Elvis' faithful lieutenant, thoughtful poster and popular forum administrator, a role not unlike the one Sicy has now. After an extended break for personal reasons, he returned in force around the time of 9/11, and this event changed him more than perhaps any other feedbacker. He became as argumentative and dogmatic as he was meticulous, and was a prime contributor to some of this forum's uglier moments.

4. Achtung Bebe

A constant around feedback for a long time until recently, Bebe was ever popular and made a name for herself as an incisive and witty poster, as well as doing a sterling job as moderator until work and life conspired to cut her time here. Made a particular bang as Bono's dancing partner during the Elevation show in Houston!

5. r o u g e r u m, Son of Pear, The Gold Trumpet et al

Stretched the rules in more ways than one, and can be credited with starting several trends, multiple handles in particular. His desire for attention and tendency to play devil's advocate at all times did not make him popular with the authorities or the forum at large, but certainly made certain that he was remembered long after being forcibly ousted from Interference.

6. Zoomerang96, deathbear, Supreme Cutlas et al

Another who changed character partway through his time here. Zoomerang96 was outspoken, but relatively tame compared to the deathbear creation that was sprung on all of us early in 2001. Irreverent, annoying, frustrating and forever Radiohead, deathbear's image had alot to do with its creator's fascination with r o u g e r u m.

7. Salome

Witty, outspoken and irrepresible, Salome made It's Official what it is today, and for that alone earns a place in this list. However, he's also here for his longevity, his tireless moderation, his championing of the 'there are better bands than Radiohead' cause and, last but not least, his immortal signature.

8. melon, Whortense

As an unabashed Catholic liberal, melon was instrumental in developing Free Your Mind into the hotbed of politics and religion it seems to have been for as long as one cares to remember. Prepared to argue and debate various issues meticulously and studiously, melon's long debate posts and replies had a huge influence on increasing the average length of posts at Interference, thus forcing us all to stay here that much longer to read it all!

9. Achtung Steve

I warned you that this list wouldn't be all positive, and here's one of the negatives. Steve took the forum and the chatroom to new lows in taste, tact and manners. He'd stretched the patience of all concerned many times, until, having returned from a trip to India, some naked racism and contempt for non-Western culture tipped him over the edge. Not a pleasant chapter in the history of this place but a chapter all the same.

10. The Wanderer and zooropamanda - tied

These two make the list because of their longevity, the depth and breadth of their posts, and their tiffs with authority that have caught the eye on more than a couple of occasions. The bottom line is they have remained on the cutting edge of 'the feedback experience' for longer and more consistent periods than almost anyone else.

Last edited:
I like that list

Sometimes I wish rougerum was still around, though

funny that...

I don't think people should be singled out good or bad. But I do have a few names that need to be included for the good.

Cass
Spanisheyes
Follower
Sula

There are many more I could list.

BC, Sicy, Elvis, Salome, Hello Angel, Sula, Zoomerang96, Asstrap, Larry Mullens pop angel, SF

brett-
thank u for not putting me on that list.
the last thing i wanna come across as is some little attention -seeking bitch-hound.:angry:

thx again-
:sexywink: :mad:
db9:dance: :cool:

Last edited:
I would have to agree with all the people on that list

Nice list Brett.. but you left yourself out. :wink:

Oh and you forgot Johnny Swallow.. but that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: I would have to agree with all the people on that list

AcrobatMan said:

i have also influenced lot of people here...but never mind :mac:

you really have

AM makes me use the following smilies: :kiss: :love: :drool: :D :cute: and also the :banghead: :crack:

I can agree with that list. But I'd add spanisheyes and Michael Griffiths for their insight and contribution to the U2 discussions. Both these men are wonderful writers with a gift for insight into U2's music and lyrics and rarely waste words.

alright, i think i agree with most of the list, i think.

angel, your on my list, if that means anything.

As for all the others mentioned in this thread, I could do a huge roll of honourable mentions but I've been encouraged to leave it as is. The case of Johnny Swallow in particular was difficult, but I decided to leave him out because a) he's kindof fallen out of the loop quite a bit so doesn't really get the longevity vote, and b)these days I don't really think his posts are as terribly relevant as they once were.

Glad some of you agreed!

U2Girl had a huge impact. So did Bonovista. U2Bama. spanisheyes. DethVeggy. doctorwho. DC. melon. Angela Harlem (voice of reason). popsadie (poetry). froggie. bicyclingfish. hippyactress (testimony). Lots more.

haha forte, thanks!

Brettig and I were having a great old discussion about the history of interf last night, reliving all the saga's and drama this place has gone through. It was a bit of a memory lane trip.
I do want to stress incase anyone feels this is another popularity thread that it isn't really the case. I'd guess this list comes from the convo last night, which of course no one else knew about til now, so it may appear as another lame thread - But it isnt. It was made with good intentions. Foray, Sula's and U2Bama's names came up but as 'stayers', those who are consistently thoughtful, and basically quiet achievers. I hope this isn't taken as an insult as it really isn't. You dont need to create waves to make a lasting impression. My list would contain Brett too, but he would never put his own name down hehe.

I think I've influenced a lot of people here................to want to kick my ass.;)

Back
Top Bottom