The Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it was wacky. 8:05, scheduled time for first pitch, no rain. the rain didn't start coming down till like 8:35, and it was a lite rain until around 9, and it was over by 9:30, not re-starting again till around 11:15. it came down heavy for like 30 minutes and then was over again just before midnight. they easily could've gotten the game in... and even though the decision is left entirely up to major league baseball on wether to cancel playoff games, i'm sure with a 37 year old starting pitcher and shaky middle relief, the yankees staff wasn't exactly pushing to get the game started.

so for the red sox fans out there... when grady little went to the mound in the 7th inning to talk to an obviously struggling brad penny, not take him out, and proceed to watch david wright hit a 2 run double... were there any flash backs? or were all the horrible memories erased in 2004?

I was at the dinner table and missed Grady's visit, but should have warned Dodger fans not to get too excited if they start looking good in the playoffs, Grady will find a way to screw it up.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so for the red sox fans out there... when grady little went to the mound in the 7th inning to talk to an obviously struggling brad penny, not take him out, and proceed to watch david wright hit a 2 run double... were there any flash backs? or were all the horrible memories erased in 2004?

I missed it as well, but when I heard about it later, oh yes, I got the sense of deja-vu.

Of course this AP article gives you the impression that the Yanks had serious influence on Selig:
(note the bold section)

Tigers, Yanks all wet
By Associated Press
Thursday, October 5, 2006 - Updated: 06:39 AM EST

NEW YORK - Justin Verlander was throwing in the outfield, Mike Mussina was nowhere to be seen and the fans in Yankee Stadium just wondered what was going on.

In a rainout with hardly any rain, Game 2 of the AL playoff series between Detroit and the New York Yankees was postponed last night.

Tens of thousands of fans sitting in Yankee Stadium for nearly two hours made for an odd sight, especially because it wasn’t raining for much of the time after the scheduled 8:09 p.m. start.

Although a light rain fell occasionally, threatening weather was in the forecast. Still, fans weren’t informed of the postponement until more than 10 minutes after the teams knew no game would be played.

“Where’s the rain? Let them play!” one fan yelled over and over after the postponement was announced by public address announcer Bob Sheppard.

Game 2 was rescheduled for 1:09 p.m. today, with Verlander (17-9) opposed by Mussina (15-7). The teams will lose the travel day, and Game 3 will be in Detroit at 8:09 p.m. tomorrow.

The Yankees lead 1-0 in the best-of-five series.

Verlander went to left field and starting throwing but never went to the bullpen mound.

“Obviously, I went out there and I got stretched a little bit,” the bewildered pitcher said. “We were informed the game time was at 10 o’clock. Obviously, I got out there and Mussina’s not out there. Nobody’s out there.”

Detroit players said the first indication they got of a postponement was when a member of the grounds crew went over to pitching coach Chuck Hernandez.

Having checked out of the Grand Hyatt of Manhattan’s East Side, the Tigers had to change hotels and wound up at the New York Hilton and Towers on the West Side.

When it appeared that the game would start, Mussina said the Yankees objected.

“Quite a few of us said, ‘This is crazy. You’re going to mess up the whole series,’ ” he said. “We’d play a couple innings and then get rained out, then we’ve got to go play again tomorrow and it’s just better this way.”

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, reached at his home in Milwaukee, declined comment, referring questions to Jimmie Lee Solomon, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner’s office.

“We wanted to get the game in. We thought we could,” Solomon said. “The forecast indicated we could get in two, three innings tops and would have to stop again for an hour-and-a-half to two hours.”

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Random thought - I think he and Gary Bettman are brothers. Seriously. Both comissioners of pro-sports teams, both look like little trolls, and both are major league toolboxes, like you said. It's uncanny.

Ok, carry on with your stats and stuff, lol. Of which I have no clue about. :wink:

Gary Bettman is a toolbox. Bud Selig is an effin' Home Depot.

Last at-bat for the Yanks with Detroit still 4-3 up... will they Yanks pull it up????

Stay tuned.

(And keep the on top vs. on bottom discussion going... it's far more interesting than baseball... :D )

So how badly did A-Rod get booed (0-4, 3 Ks, including one with 2 out and the bases loaded)?

Wow, Detroit won.

Not that I care much about baseball.

But I like it when the Yankees win. Reminds me of my times in NYC.

some great defense from belliard this series...edmonds with a nice catch on the run as well

on the flip side, dave roberts aside from the mistake on the preston wilson double (judgement of the ball) has played some nice D himself.

Last edited:
game 3 saturday night just got verrrrry interesting.

kenny rogers has been lit up like a wood roasted chicken by the yankees, and really in the post-season in general (bases loaded walk :mad: )... but then again, randy johnson isn't exactly a sure thing right now.

in a slugfest, the yankees obviously have the advantage (you would think)... but if rogers can reverse what all common logic would tell you and shut the yankees down, that would mean that the yanks would have jared 4 innings wright on the mound with the series on the line vs. bonderman... and that makes things verrrrry interesting indeed.

i'd still be very surprised to see the tigers win the series... but what a wonderful surprise it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom