The Temple Bar-Where Everybody Knows your Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redhotswami said:

:hmm: i think that needs to be my new sig...now i just need the perfect image for it.
glmm.jpg

UberBeaver said:

It's very real. The special is sometimes hard to watch. The NBC version will never do that. American's hate TV like that. They don't have the patience for the descent followed by the rise to victory. Once it's uncomfortable people tune out. It's a shame cause it makes the payoff so much better.

Seinfeld had moments of discomfort...but with a punchline....Curb Your Enthusiasm does, too, but it's on HBO which is a different animal than network TV. No network primetime show could have that level of discomfort and thrive.

That was the best part of the BBC finale, a little bit of redemption, and growth, for Brent.

I wrote a slow jam called "Gangstas need love too" at work a few years ago, and then e-mailed it to my direct reports instructing them to have it memorized in an hour. Immaturity + a staff = trouble for all.

No spoken words said:

Seinfeld had moments of discomfort...but with a punchline....Curb Your Enthusiasm does, too, but it's on HBO which is a different animal than network TV. No network primetime show could have that level of discomfort and thrive.

That was the best part of the BBC finale, a little bit of redemption, and growth, for Brent.

Yeah, Seinfeld and Curb do, but it's different. You know it's a goof, and you know it'll work itself out, and their character sort of bring it upon themselves out of, I dunno, pride and just being self-centered. With David Brent it's all about his insecurity. He can't help it cause he's so scared, you know? He has nothing, really. No real friends (which always made Tim's sympathy for him so nice). So when he crashes, you don't know what's going to happen. He sinks real low in the special. It's awesome.

UberBeaver said:

Yeah, Seinfeld and Curb do, but it's different. You know it's a goof, and you know it'll work itself out, and their character sort of bring it upon themselves out of, I dunno, pride and just being self-centered. With David Brent it's all about his insecurity. He can't help it cause he's so scared, you know? He has nothing, really. No real friends (which always made Tim's sympathy for him so nice). So when he crashes, you don't know what's going to happen. He sinks real low in the special. It's awesome.

He sinks lowest during season 2, in my opinion. His begging not to be made redundant was one of the most difficult things I've ever watched, outside of scenes in tv or film designed to make you sad or cry.

I agree it's different with Seinfeld and Curb, but, it's still awkward at times, making their success all the more impressive, because the average american viewer does not take the time to reason out something like :

"You know it's a goof, and you know it'll work itself out, and their character sort of bring it upon themselves out of, I dunno, pride and just being self-centered.".......

Whoa, that site is awesome. Nice.

Oh man, the begging was hard. I think I actually turned away. I was watching the special with my wife before and she's seen some the seasons where it's all laughs, but she never saw the special, and I could see her thinking, "You enjoy this?" I think also the average American viewer doesn't have the patience for a story to build, either. Like Lost has a big story, but there is almost constant stimulation at the same time. Does that makes sense?

UberBeaver said:
Whoa, that site is awesome. Nice.

Oh man, the begging was hard. I think I actually turned away. I was watching the special with my wife before and she's seen some the seasons where it's all laughs, but she never saw the special, and I could see her thinking, "You enjoy this?" I think also the average American viewer doesn't have the patience for a story to build, either. Like Lost has a big story, but there is almost constant stimulation at the same time. Does that makes sense?

Yes it makes a lot of sense...and, a lot of people have lost (no pun intented) patience with Lost....this season has been a debacle, in my opinion.

A slow build does not work well here in The States, by and large. We need it in our face and we need it now. Sad state of affairs. But I still love the USA!!!

On that note, time to destroy hundreds....wait, thousands of aliens.....funnily enough, the most recent ex just texted me asking me if I was home reading or was I home watching a DVD.....she knows me too well, but she does not know I took the $$$ I saved on her xmas gifts and bought an xbox!!!

Talk to you guys later.

UberBeaver said:
I really like the "oh snap - Oh Shit Son" thing.

Mia should remember that I'm a BIG fan of her current sig....but, Mia, I'll take the Gangstas Need Love sig for my own, if that can be arranged!!! It'll be my way of honoring Bono (Beav, Bono is in the band U2)...and Gangstas....and you....and by honoring all 3 of those, I in turn do honor to us all.

Ok, on the real this time, talk to you later.

Back
Top Bottom