The Temple Bar - When the Clock Strikes No Pants O'Clock, We Go Powerjuice ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:

Some of the Aussie people, in my opinion, were being a little bit dick-ish about it all and continue to do so. Saying things like "We never thought this would bother anyone" is a lie.

We thought it might bother people for a little bit, admittedly. That was the idea of the whole joke, to have a quick laugh. We were all saying we didn't expect to get past one song, let alone Flower Child. FLOWER CHILD!

Diemen said:
That's what's been rubbing me the wrong way about the whole situation. Well, that and how completely blown out of proportion the whole thing became.

As soon as people bought it, I knew there'd be a troublesome aftermath. I'm not surprised by there being a reaction. Strong at times, and illogical at times, but not unexpected, really.

coolian2 said:

We thought it might bother people for a little bit, admittedly. That was the idea of the whole joke, to have a quick laugh. We were all saying we didn't expect to get past one song, let alone Flower Child. FLOWER CHILD!

I hear you. As I said, I found it funny too, big picture-wise, but, I am not at all surprised that some people did not find it comical.

I'm a little sad that Rob33 didn't pipe up in the aftermath threads. I felt bad when I saw he was caught up in the joke - I thought he was just starting to kind of get the drift of this place and feel more comfortable, and I hope he didn't get too pissed when he found he got fooled.

corianderstem said:
I'm a little sad that Rob33 didn't pipe up in the aftermath threads. I felt bad when I saw he was caught up in the joke - I thought he was just starting to kind of get the drift of this place and feel more comfortable, and I hope he didn't get too pissed when he found he got fooled.

I felt bad, though not as much when he started saying things like, "I can't breathe!" and "I feel pulses all over my body!"

I felt bad for him still, but I mean, c'mon.

corianderstem said:

You know, as I watched that thread progress, he was the one I was most feeling bad for. It's not really relevant if he should or should not have caught on earlier to me. I just felt bad for him and still do.

I should qualify all of this by saying that I'm certainly no angel on this site, and have said all sorts of antagonistic things. I most certainly have my questionable moments, and I try to own up to them afterwards.

:shrug:

I've been there, prone to exaggeration over something I'm really excited about, concerning something I really love.

(Oops, not quick enough. That was in response to THE AMENDMENT.)

I think people need to seriously get a life, on both sides. This is, after all, an Internet message board, not real life, so there's no reason for people to take it as seriously as they do.

But Interference being what it is, and fanatical U2 fans being what they are, things will never change.

corianderstem said:

I did see him listed as on the forum later on afterwards for a bit. I'd imagine he'll be back soon.

We were saying we were feeling bad about it, but by the same token with every passing song we honestly expected everyone would call us on it.

I must admit if i hadn't seen the scepticism on the first page or so of the thread i probably would have been fooled to No Line or Flower Child, and definitely no longer fooled by Mercy.

That is presuming a venue like the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein didn't make me think HOAX anyway.

corianderstem said:

I've been there, prone to exaggeration over something I'm really excited about, concerning something I really love.

Me too...:yes:

Fake Edge totally fooled me...:yikes:

I found a PM I sent to him/her...:tsk:

I phailed...:sigh:

The problem with being good at sarcasm, or being snarky, is that you sometimes forget that there are people out there that are 100% earnest. They don't get or recognize it, for better or worse.

No spoken words said:
I should qualify all of this by saying that I'm certainly no angel on this site, and have said all sorts of antagonistic things. I most certainly have my questionable moments, and I try to own up to them afterwards.

Colossal ass.

No spoken words said:
The problem with being good at sarcasm, or being snarky, is that you sometimes forget that there are people out there that are 100% earnest. They don't get or recognize it, for better or worse.

My take is that it was so fake right from the get go I just laughed it off...I surprised to come back later and find people had taken it so seriously...:shrug:

corianderstem said:

I have too, though I don't think anything could push me to say I couldn't breathre or was getting pulses running up and down me. Maybe that's why I can't relate.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

My take is that it was so fake right from the get go I just laughed it off...I surprised to come back later and find people had taken it so seriously...:shrug:

By my approximation, 16 people posted in there completely buying it at one point.

After reading some of that thread, I felt bad for Rob too. I thought he might have to call for the paramedics.

\sidenote - we were all at U23D on opening weekend. He was supposedly within a row or two of us. He had to know everyone was meeting up before & after said show. Never introduced himself or anything. And we had a seating chart stating where we were

Sorry cori, hope I did not offend your opinion of BOC :wink:

I was on a U2 mailing list for a while and the people were too earnest for me. I slipped up and offended someone, because I was lame and forgot that not everyone likes snark.

So I left. Not the place for me. :)

corianderstem said:
I was on a U2 mailing list for a while and the people were too earnest for me. I slipped up and offended someone, because I was lame and forgot that not everyone likes snark.

So I left. Not the place for me. :)

That's why i'm on here rather than a few other potential U2 fan sites.

I am happy to still have posting privileges though. Although i think that's still up in the air

Back
Top Bottom