The Temple Bar - This is how you start a thread, bitches - UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm Catholic, but I'm much more loose in faith than my family, and my parents hate it.

My mom once used the phrase, "You would argue with the Pope!" to which I responded completely seriously, "Yes, I would. The Pope's been wrong before."

That pissed her off.

phillyfan26 said:
I'm Catholic, but I'm much more loose in faith than my family, and my parents hate it.

My mom once used the phrase, "You would argue with the Pope!" to which I responded completely seriously, "Yes, I would. The Pope's been wrong before."

That pissed her off.

lol I like your style!

I have lots to say on the topic, but I'm afraid it would veer into FYM territory.

I recently read a quote from someone in the Catholic church regarding the whole Golden Compass hubbub - he said that rather than ban the books or urging people not to see the movie, that parents should use the opportunity for discussion with their kids. I really respect that.

I'm not anti religion, I just haven't found anything that resonates with me. Logically, none of it makes sense to me. I was raised Christian/Protestant, but very informally.

Well, I plan to stay Catholic. I certainly don't agree with everything the Catholic Church says, but I believe in religion as a unifying community, and I definitely feel like a part of a community with my churchmembers. So, I'll stick with it.

I'm not a big fan of Protestant religions, and that's all I'll really say on that.

phillyfan26 said:

That pissed her off.

Don't feel too bad. I rarely agree with anything that man comes up with. :shrug:

phillyfan26 said:
Well, I plan to stay Catholic. I certainly don't agree with everything the Catholic Church says, but I believe in religion as a unifying community, and I definitely feel like a part of a community with my churchmembers. So, I'll stick with it.

I'm not a big fan of Protestant religions, and that's all I'll really say on that.

Yeah, the feeling of community and fellowship is definitely an important part of it.

Protestants are just so spread out, from one end of the spectrum to the other, it's insane. :huh: That's one of my huge problems with Christianity in general; it's like, if religious folk can't get their shit together and agree, how do they expect to attract someone like me into their fold? Any denominations my family were ever involved with were of the more liberal ilk, like United. My older brother and sister went to church when they were kids, but by the time I came along, my mom preferred to sleep in on Sundays.

My parents and I are at odds in ideology. They're both strict to faith and conservative. I'm liberal and much looser in faith.

I'm considering joining my school's Democrats club after a number of people have asked me to join, but I'm a little worried about having to deal with the thoughts of my parents on aligning myself politically.

Are they that controlling that they can't accept you having different political views than they do?

Is there any way you could join secretly? :shifty:

The gifts sitting here aren't going to wrap themselves, unfortunately. :sad: In case I don't see some of you in the next few days, Merry Christmas. :)

No, actually, they've taken the attitude of not discussing politics with me so as to let me form my own views. It's odd, though, because the one time I talked to my mother about politics, well ... I wrote about it in my journal sometime. It's hard to explain.

I hope to join secretly. The main reason is that the Dems want me in the debate against our school's Republican club, as per my debates in English class.

PF...:up:

I must say I'm right there with you on your views on Catholicism (as I am a practicing Catholic)...and :yes: the Pope has been wrong before...and will be in the future.

I also say, join the Young Dems...then you and U2Dem can have these long winded conversations in FYM...:drool:

Alright, well I'm out for the evening.

My mom's family gets together on Christmas Eve, so I'm heading out west to Lancaster.

Stupid neighbors behind us decided to build a fence this morning. I couldn't sleep past 10:00am. Bastards!

Waiting for hubby to bring lunch. Maddy went to a sleepover party last night, and needless to say, she's now sleeping on the couch. And my computer says it's 77 degrees :happy:

Did you finish all your shopping Reggie?

I still need to hop in the shower. Probably after lunch. Hang around the house today I'm guessing. Check out Christmas lights this evening. Watch a movie or somthing

UberBeaver said:
Wait - are you at work? Or are you volunteering @ a juvenile deliquent center?

it's been hard to tell today but today is my paid job.

unbelievable.

well I'm off to finish* shopping

*by finish I mean start.

It took me two hours to get through the drama here and get back to my office :crack:

UberBeaver said:
No Country For Old Men = Very Good. I don't really know WTF happened, but I liked it anyway.

is this a movie?

Reggie Thee Dog said:
My wife just called and told me we's having some Prime Rib for dinner tomorrow night...:drool:

Snow...are you doing better...:hmm:

can I come?

I am, this is a brief stop on my way to pick up my final purchases (the liquor store of course). I am still in shock over today, cannot actually believe that happened. when I get back I am chilling the fuck out and making up for my lack of drunk posting over the last year. oh yes.

UberBeaver said:
No Country For Old Men = Very Good. I don't really know WTF happened, but I liked it anyway.

I want to see it, but when I tried to convince my friend to go, he refused to see "that old man movie". :grumpy: We saw Beowulf instead, which was actually a lot better than I expected.

I'm playing another 5000-player poker tourny tonight, starting in 2 minutes. I came in second in a 45 player tournament on Friday. I had an ace-high flush, went all-in, and the other guy finished off a full house on the river. :angry: Anyways, I played really well then and I think I'm getting a lot better. I'll update y'all as I go. :up:

:hi5:

9.gif

We need a new Christmas Eve/Christmas thread soon. What's it gonna be Bri?

Back
Top Bottom