The Temple Bar - This is how you start a thread, bitches - UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
For the jam bands: I love Dave Matthews Band. Pretty much everything I've listened to by them has been great, though I avoid their excessively long stuff.

Grey Street is one of my favorite songs ever.

I don't know much of them other than their hits, and that they have a cult-like following, but what little I've heard in the way of jamming I like...I like the way they sort of incorporate funk into it. But again, for me, there's a fine line between an entertaining, good jam, and a long, drawn out boring one.

Kevin Shields is a genius, too....but not as versatile as Frusciante.....that, to me, is what makes Frusciante special....he's very versatile.

Anyway, I'm out for a bit.....Merry XMas to those that celebrate.....see you all later.

ETA - Jam bands just bore me to tears. I like 1 DMB song, though....the space between.....love that song.

No spoken words said:
Kevin Shields is a genius, too....but not as versatile as Frusciante.....that, to me, is what makes Frusciante special....he's very versatile.

Anyway, I'm out for a bit.....Merry XMas to those that celebrate.....see you all later.

Hey if we're talking 'great' guitarists we can't leave out Ace Frehley and Mick Mars...M I RITE Beav....:rockon:

No seriously Beav, I'm gonna need some back up on those two...:uhoh:

LemonMelon said:
Maybe I would be best advised to check out some bootlegs instead. Some bands just aren't nearly as great in the studio, like...I dunno...U2. :drool:

The problem with RHCP live is Kiedis' vocals are much worse. But Frusciante is very good no matter what they're doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvAYtFotjQE

Solos:
2:10
3:40

And the album version has two very good solos. But live, they take it to another level.

phillyfan26 said:

The problem with RHCP live is Kiedis' vocals are much worse. But Frusciante is very good no matter what they're doing:

Yeah, Kiedis can't sing anymore...and to be honest he phrases every song the same way...:tsk:

Still Snow (Hey Oh) is one of the best songs in past two years...:up:

Snow's got such awesome guitar that it makes up for Kiedis. That's the case for most RHCP songs. Kiedis really only was good on "Under the Bridge."

phillyfan26 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvAYtFotjQE

Solos:
2:10
3:40

And the album version has two very good solos. But live, they take it to another level.

That was a good solo.

Speaking of great guitarists, I think Mike McCready deserves more credit. Seriously, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKxLgeNNUs

That, and the solo at the end of Alive. He was something awesome back in the day.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Yeah, Kiedis can't sing anymore...and to be honest he phrases every song the same way...:tsk:

Still Snow (Hey Oh) is one of the best songs in past two years...:up:

I used to like them. Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik era. I can't stand them now. It just sounds like they keep putting the same album out, over and over and over again. :crack:

LemonMelon said:

That was a good solo.

Speaking of great guitarists, I think Mike McCready deserves more credit. Seriously, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKxLgeNNUs

That, and the solo at the end of Alive. He was something awesome back in the day.

Seriously he is underrated...totaly KISS fanatic, and he plays solos they way they used to play them in the 70's/80's...he's not afraid to stand out...I :applaud: him for that...:up:

And to be honest, neither was Kurt Cobain...oh, he played some off the wall stuff, but it was melodic and you could hum them after you heard them...:yes:

Last edited:
I've never listened to any of his solo stuff. The fact that he's associated with RHCP has made me averse, but the way everyone goes on about him here, I guess I should check him out.

phillyfan26 said:

:up: That's awesome.

It was like he was possessed for 10 minutes.

I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan or anything, I liked Ten and all that, but McCready was always a standout guitarist.

A couple other modern greats off the top of my head:

Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
Matt Bellamy (Muse)

Finally got my tree up last night, and then I went out and got groceries at 11 pm. It was glorious, the stores were almost empty. :drool: Now, I just have wrapping to do, and whatever prep I can get done for dinner tomorrow. Procrastination. :up:

We're going to Mass tonight, and then over to my sis-in-laws...then we get to go to sleep and dreaming of sugar plums and all that other Xmas crap you're supposed to dream of before Santa breaks into your house and gives you more stuff...:up:

Should be fun...:D

Last night, we briefly discussed going to church this evening...and then when I pointed out that we're agnostic, Sarah said we could go in the capacity of scientific observers, or anthropologists. lol

Back
Top Bottom