The Temple Bar - This is how you start a thread, bitches - UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

Any band that wrote Let Down or Fake Plastic Trees deserves recognition. :yes:

For the record, I do have Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication in my collection, just don't listen to them much.

Frusciante is completely wasted in RHCP. He should move to NY and start a band with me. I'll call it the John Frusciante Band and I'll just sit there and pay homage. And get paid my share, of course. He is probably the most brilliant guitarist of our generation (and I know we're in different generations, LM, but he crosses both - he's just that good.) I can't think of any other better guitarist since, like Hendrix......:uhoh:........nope, drawing a blank..................yep. No one. The guys an artist. Gilmour is awesome, but very different than Frusciante.

UberBeaver said:

Frusciante is completely wasted in RHCP. He should move to NY and start a band with me. I'll call it the John Frusciante Band and I'll just sit there and pay homage. And get paid my share, of course. He is probably the most brilliant guitarist of our generation (and I know we're in different generations, LM, but he crosses both - he's just that good.) I can't think of any other better guitarist since, like Hendrix......:uhoh:........nope, drawing a blank..................yep. No one. The guys an artist. Gilmour is awesome, but very different than Frusciante.

Any particularly good examples? I'm mostly familiar with the more popular material and probably missed the most kickass guitar stuff in the process.

UberBeaver said:

Well, maybe Duane Allman or Stevie Ray Vaughn, since Hendrix? And you know I love Frusciante, bought all his solo stuff a few months ago and all......

Hey Reg! :wave:

NSW, I was reading something on here the other night, and I realized, I've never heard Catherine Wheel. I need to look them up.

Oh, and, your Xmas poem. You're the master. :drool:

Youtube "Frusciante Maybe Slane castle". Not great guitar, but just awesome in general - a lot of his solo stuff is really good actually. The Mother's Milk album was good, I love the last 30 seconds of Higher Ground when he just goes off. BSSM has some good moments, Under The Bridge for example. I like the guitar in Snow a lot, that's the most recent example. I'll try to sit and find my favorites. I don't really like RHCP, but every now and then I put them on and just notice the guitar. Flea is real good too, but I dunno, they just don't do it for me.

LemonMelon said:
Any band that wrote Let Down or Fake Plastic Trees deserves recognition. :yes:

For the record, I do have Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication in my collection, just don't listen to them much.

My favorite is Stadium Arcadium: Wet Sand, Snow ((Hey Oh)), Desecration Smile, Stadium Arcadium, Hard to Concentrate.

If you haven't heard Wet Sand ... listen to it now.

Fake Plastic Trees bored me on my first two listens.

VintagePunk said:
Hey Reg! :wave:

NSW, I was reading something on here the other night, and I realized, I've never heard Catherine Wheel. I need to look them up.

Oh, and, your Xmas poem. You're the master. :drool:

Oh, good, you went back and read the poem! :)

Yeah, I'm a big Catherine Wheel fan, obviously. I never understood why they were not more popular, but a lot of people probably think that about lots of bands. Their first 2 CDs are my favorite, but I like everything but their last, which was pretty bad, actually.

UberBeaver said:
Youtube "Frusciante Maybe Slane castle". Not great guitar, but just awesome in general - a lot of his solo stuff is really good actually. The Mother's Milk album was good, I love the last 30 seconds of Higher Ground when he just goes off. BSSM has some good moments, Under The Bridge for example. I like the guitar in Snow a lot, that's the most recent example. I'll try to sit and find my favorites. I don't really like RHCP, but every now and then I put them on and just notice the guitar. Flea is real good too, but I dunno, they just don't do it for me.

The only thing I don't like is Kiedis. I think if you put a decent songwriter/vocalist there, that band is as good as any. It's a shame, really.

LemonMelon said:

He probably has no idea of which Edge you speak. :eyebrow:

Beav's probably thinking..."Frusciante's not on the EDGE of greatness, he's there man!! Listen to the solo he plays in Lisbon during 'Hump De, Bump De'...during the third note, he hits a D chord and the stadium is stunned, much like getting shot by Spock's phaser in Star Trek, that's the real shiznit, bitches"...:rockon:

LemonMelon said:

He probably has no idea of which Edge you speak. :eyebrow:

:edge: <--- Edge.

I don't know myuch by Duane Allman. I never got into the Allman Brothers, but I think I saw them a few years ago at teh Beacon....Pretty sure it was them. They jam a lot, right? Ugh.

Stevie Ray was great, but not my style of music. I never got into him really.

Plus, Frusciante's not on the EDGE of greatness, he's there man!! Listen to the solo he plays in Lisbon during 'Hump De, Bump De'...during the third note, he hits a D chord and the stadium is stunned, much like getting shot by Spock's phaser in Star Trek, that's the real shiznit, bitches.

phillyfan26 said:

My favorite is Stadium Arcadium: Wet Sand, Snow ((Hey Oh)), Desecration Smile, Stadium Arcadium, Hard to Concentrate.

If you haven't heard Wet Sand ... listen to it now.

Fake Plastic Trees bored me on my first two listens.

PFan, I will just say that I listened to OK Computer a few times, and just did not like it....a year later, gave it another listen and was totally confused as to just what I did not like the first time around....now I'm a huge fan of theirs, have been so for 10 years now, I guess.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Beav's probably thinking..."Frusciante's not on the EDGE of greatness, he's there man!! Listen to the solo he plays in Lisbon during 'Hump De, Bump De'...during the third note, he hits a D chord and the stadium is stunned, much like getting shot by Spock's phaser in Star Trek, that's the real shiznit, bitches"...:rockon:

During the third note he hits a chord? Do you play guitar? Cause that confused me.

No spoken words said:

Oh, good, you went back and read the poem! :)

Yeah, I'm a big Catherine Wheel fan, obviously. I never understood why they were not more popular, but a lot of people probably think that about lots of bands. Their first 2 CDs are my favorite, but I like everything but their last, which was pretty bad, actually.

I looked 'em up on wiki and scanned over their albums, singles and videos, and none rang a bell, unless they're one of those bands where I've heard them, but just don't recognize any titles. That's possible.

LemonMelon said:
Any particularly good examples? I'm mostly familiar with the more popular material and probably missed the most kickass guitar stuff in the process.

"I Could Have Lied" from BSSM is very good.

UberBeaver said:

:edge: <--- Edge.

I don't know myuch by Duane Allman. I never got into the Allman Brothers, but I think I saw them a few years ago at teh Beacon....Pretty sure it was them. They jam a lot, right? Ugh.

Stevie Ray was great, but not my style of music. I never got into him really.

I normally cannot stand jam bands, but, Allman was simply amazing. Nor do I own any Stevie Ray material, but, when I've listened to him play, I'm impressed.

No spoken words said:
PFan, I will just say that I listened to OK Computer a few times, and just did not like it....a year later, gave it another listen and was totally confused as to just what I did not like the first time around....now I'm a huge fan of theirs, have been so for 10 years now, I guess.

Listened to Fake Plastic Trees again ... it's not boring to me as much as it's just not my style. I don't know. I'm still not giving up on them yet. I just haven't been impressed.

No spoken words said:

I normally cannot stand jam bands, but, Allman was simply amazing. Nor do I own any Stevie Ray material, but, when I've listened to him play, I'm impressed.

I've got his last album, the one he did with his brother...Family Ties, I think? It's good.

I also have a Steve Vai album I probably haven't listened to in 10 years, but I liked him back in the day. Of course, I now worship at the altar of Gilmour. :drool:

No spoken words said:

I'm with you there NSW...jam bands = excess

However Allman, Stevie Ray = :drool:

One band I like, but just find comical from that era (or between those two guitarists) Lynyrd Skynyrd...I like some of their songs, but there's like 25 guys on stage. You know 6 drummers, and 13 guitarists...and I'm always confused as to who played what solo, and then I think..."why the fuck do I care...the song rocks either way."...Still, I'd like to know....:yes:

LemonMelon said:
Only one question remains:

Has Frusciante recorded a solo as badass as Paranoid Android's? :hmm:

Well, I don't know about recorded. He improvises most live solos.

VintagePunk said:

I've got his last album, the one he did with his brother...Family Ties, I think? It's good.

I also have a Steve Vai album I probably haven't listened to in 10 years, but I liked him back in the day. Of course, I now worship at the altar of Gilmour. :drool:

You're forgetting Joe Satriani, luv...:yes:

For the jam bands: I love Dave Matthews Band. Pretty much everything I've listened to by them has been great, though I avoid their excessively long stuff.

Grey Street is one of my favorite songs ever.

phillyfan26 said:

Well, I don't know about recorded. He improvises most live solos.

Maybe I would be best advised to check out some bootlegs instead. Some bands just aren't nearly as great in the studio, like...I dunno...U2. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom