The Temple Bar: Saving the World and Falling off Barstools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zootlesque said:
Wow Uber!

We call him JackBeav :yes:

Glad to hear things are going well for you Zoots :up:

New Jobs LMPA?

BEav - I play Vice - no idea what that means, but it's waht they are putting on my shirt:huh:

I think I do all the stuff, you rotate turns, so I get to slide the rocks and do the sweeping. I'm going to bring my camera, so we'll see if I can get some shots of me in action (by that I anticipate I mean killingmyselfintheface as I slip and fall).

I just updated the slutfest with some links.

K - have to be more productive here, I'll be back laterz :drool:

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I am seriously in pain now. I need some chocolate and a fifteen minute break. :whistle:

Sorry -was just leaving and saw this :lol:

Not that I'm laughing at your pain or anything...you know what I mean!!

snowbunny00774 said:

BEav - O play Vice - no idea what that means, but it's waht they are putting on my shirt:huh:

I think I do all the stuff, you rotate turns, so I get to slide the rocks and do the sweeping. I'm going to bring my camera, so we'll see if I can get some shots of me in action (by that I anticipate I mean killingmyselfintheface as I slip and fall).

I just updated the slutfest with some links.

K - have to be more productive here, I'll be back laterz :drool:

Vice - Also called the vice-skip, vice or mate, the third throws the team's fifth and sixth stones, and usually sweeps for the second and the lead. The third usually assists the skip in his or her duties. When it is the skip's turn to throw, it is usually the third who holds the broom for the skip.

After each end (round of play), the thirds for both teams must reach an agreement about which team scored and how many points. If there is a disagreement, or uncertainty, the thirds may measure the rocks to see which ones are closer. At this time, only the thirds are allowed in the house. In major tournaments, the scorekeeping is left to an official. Depending on the tradition, when the third's team scores, the third will record it on the score-board.

Depending on the tradition, the third may flip a coin with the opposing third to determine who will have last rock advantage at the beginning of a game. The winner of the toss has the option to pick either last rock, or the colour of the rocks they wish to play with. In major tournaments, these decisions are usually made beforehand.

:nerd:

My daughter has curled for 5 years now, looks like a lot of fun!

VintagePunk said:

Vice - Also called the vice-skip, vice or mate, the third throws the team's fifth and sixth stones, and usually sweeps for the second and the lead. The third usually assists the skip in his or her duties. When it is the skip's turn to throw, it is usually the third who holds the broom for the skip.

After each end (round of play), the thirds for both teams must reach an agreement about which team scored and how many points. If there is a disagreement, or uncertainty, the thirds may measure the rocks to see which ones are closer. At this time, only the thirds are allowed in the house. In major tournaments, the scorekeeping is left to an official. Depending on the tradition, when the third's team scores, the third will record it on the score-board.

Depending on the tradition, the third may flip a coin with the opposing third to determine who will have last rock advantage at the beginning of a game. The winner of the toss has the option to pick either last rock, or the colour of the rocks they wish to play with. In major tournaments, these decisions are usually made beforehand.

:nerd:

what?

UberBeaver said:

Basically, Snow is second in command, behind the Skip. Amongst her other duties, she throws the fifth and sixth rock, and sweeps for the first and second.

Kat, curling is basically like golf, but in the winter. An excuse for corporate types to get together and drink. :up:

VintagePunk said:

Basically, Snow is second in command, behind the Skip. Amongst her other duties, she throws the fifth and sixth rock, and sweeps for the first and second.

Kat, curling is basically like golf, but in the winter. An excuse for corporate types to get together and drink. :up:

So if you were an exec. in Canada it would be smart to at least know how to play for social purposes. I'm not a golf person. I would like to slide around on the ice though :hyper:

VintagePunk said:

Ah, thanks.

Curling = :shrug:

redkat said:

So if you were an exec. in Canada it would be smart to at least know how to play for social purposes. I'm not a golf person. I would like to slide around on the ice though :hyper:

Exactly. I think some blue collar types do it too (cause we're just basically white trash, and my daughter's involved)...but it's...well...generally attracts the same types as golf, I guess.

What Snow's doing this weekend, a lot of businesses do that. Just a fun day for employees to goof around and get drunk.

UberBeaver said:

Ah, thanks.

Curling = :shrug:

It's a total 'ice sport'. :huh:

I always laugh when I see it in the Olympics. It reminds me of those games my brother and I made up when we were kids and then pretended we were the World Champions at it. You know like knocking over 10 walnuts lined up on the fence with a tennis ball.

VP If i were to go to Canada would it be easy to play? Like here you can walk into a bowling alley. Or do you have to be in a league or something? I'd like to do it someday just for fun

it's popular in the upper midwest too I think.

redkat said:
VP If i were to go to Canada would it be easy to play? Like here you can walk into a bowling alley. Or do you have to be in a league or something? I'd like to do it someday just for fun

it's popular in the upper midwest too I think.

I'm not sure. I would imagine that there are some fun leagues, as opposed to more serious, competitive leagues. We have two curling rinks in town - the high schools play on one that's at a private golf and country club, so I'm not sure if otherwise you need to be a member to play there, but the other one probably has leagues open to the public.

Btw, you can't play on just any ice, the ice for curling is textured, not smooth, like for skating/hockey.

Yeah, it's really popular in midwest states that border Canada.

VintagePunk said:

Bastards....they never told me I'd have responsibilites :yikes:
Now I know why they were giggling when I told someone all I had to do was stand around :angry:

So if you were an exec. in Canada it would be smart to at least know how to play for social purposes

That's why I put my name up for this...It's at a pretty exclusive club and the whole day is catered etc. with an awards thing at the end. There is a competitive draw and a fun draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom