The Temple Bar - Rockin' The Joint...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:

I do not. Who is Billy Bragg?

Stephen William Bragg (born December 20, 1957), known as Billy Bragg, is an English musician renowned for his blend of folk, punk-rock, and protest music, and his poetic lyrics dealing with political as well as romantic themes. He has been active for over 20 years, and has collaborated with many other leading musicians, including Johnny Marr of The Smiths, protest folk singer Leon Rosselson, members of R.E.M., Less Than Jake, Kirsty MacColl, and Wilco.

here is the wiki page on mermaid avenue, it's pretty interesting Woody Guthries daughter gave her dad's unpublished writings to Wilco and Billy Bragg to make into songs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_Avenue

the album also features Natalie Merchant whom I love :heart:

Can't decide what tracks but I'll upload some for you when I get a chance.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Desperado :heart:

Watching the Grammys is like an annual doctor's appointment you really don't look forward to and it sucks to go through but you know you have to watch it anyway. Does that make sense?

I should have spent the past two hours studying.

Things this long need to be Tivo'd LMPA. You can skip all the breaks, of course, but you can skip the acts you dislike too. It practically screams for it.

Of course, please remember that you're watching it and it has not yet come on here in LA, so, if anything really surprising happens, I'll Buchanan you if you give it away. :)

Kat, are you a 10,000 Maniacs fan?

Same here. Blind Man's Zoo, In My Tribe and Our Time in Eden are 3 of my favorite albums of all time. The first 2 bring back good memories of HS/college for me, or, at least, I associate the albums with my positive memories from that era of my life. They and REM were true "alternative" music, or were considered so at the time.

Natalie left the band, and, the band were of course never the same and for me, her solo stuff was not overly appealing.

I discovered them with In My Tribe I've got quite a collection of imports and singles.

they hugely influenced my high school years. I think I was in 8th grade when I started listening.

I did get to see one of their last performances at The Greek, my favorite venue

Never like 10,000 Maniacs...even though Natalie Merchant was the only female in that group (that I remember at least) I always found them too hippy dippy and estrogen filled. She has a wonderful voice, but their music was too "happy" for me.

Yeah, yeah I realize I've got Samantha Fox and Debbie Gibson in my library, but at least I knew that they were just entertainers, I felt like I was supposed save the environment and love my neighbor everytime I heard a 10,000 Maniacs song...:shrug:

:reject:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Never like 10,000 Maniacs...even though Natalie Merchant was the only female in that group (that I remember at least) I always found them too hippy dippy and estrogen filled. She has a wonderful voice, but their music was too "happy" for me.

Yeah, yeah I realize I've got Samantha Fox and Debbie Gibson in my library, but at least I knew that they were just entertainers, I felt like I was supposed save the environment and love my neighbor everytime I heard a 10,000 Maniacs song...:shrug:

:reject:

that's exactly right Reg. Why won't you love your neighbor :sad:

redkat said:

that's exactly right Reg. Why won't you love your neighbor :sad:

He's just one of those metalheads, Kat. He'll never understand.

I'm jealous of you guys. When all that cool alt-rock stuff was happening (88-91)I was in my tweens. I listened to some of it, but discovering it was really hard. I found out about most of it through Sassy magazine and 120 minutes (when I had school vacations and could stay up late on Sundays). :lol:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

He's just one of those metalheads, Kat. He'll never understand.

Oh, that's so not true...sure I love my Hair Metal, but remember U2 is my alltime number 1 favorite band, closely followed by the Beatles. 10,000 Maniacs = chick band in my book. I don't think their music is bad, it's quite catchy, it's just not my proverbial cup o' tea.

By the way, I loved seeing the Police play tonight...I can't wait to see them on tour.

Yay Beav!!! :hyper: :hug:

I'm on my way to the hospital, too. My mom had some trouble, and had to be moved to the cardiac ward a couple of hours ago. :( Nothing that I had to rush right up there for as soon as I got the call, but... :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom