The Temple Bar - Not Like Everybody Says ... Like Dumb ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
I use FYM as practice for real life debates. It does go in circles, but I try to use that to refine and perfect my clarity.

I've been in too many real life debates, especially when I was younger, to really ever look at FYM as anything useful for me. I do learn a thing or two from the Yollands of the world, but that's about it.

I've been at the point in my life for a while now where I'd rather do something about a problem or cause than talk about it. I just keep it to myself for the most part.

unico said:

yes that was classic!! i was sad my thread was closed. that had to be my favorite snowlock post ever.

I think you and I were "arguing" in EYKIW once and I dropped that quote on you.

Never a bad time for that.

You guys can join my efforts in rescuing 'deep'. Here's our logo.

967_140x140.jpg

No spoken words said:

I've been in too many real life debates, especially when I was younger, to really ever look at FYM as anything useful for me. I do learn a thing or two from the Yollands of the world, but that's about it.

I've been at the point in my life for a while now where I'd rather do something about a problem or cause than talk about it. I just keep it to myself for the most part.

I agree. It amuses me that all these people are talking politics, campaigns, etc. Yet they're never out on the streets, making phone calls, connecting with voters. At least not that they talk about.

No spoken words said:

I don't talk about politics among my friends or family, so for me it's really the only option I have aside from the rare school debate (had one last week in which I called religious reasoning for law "anti-intellectual" :lol: ).

In fact, when my mom found out I was liberal a few months ago, she said, "Well, don't discuss politics with my brothers then."

phillyfan26 said:

I don't talk about politics among my friends or family, so for me it's really the only option I have aside from the rare school debate (had one last week in which I called religious reasoning for law "anti-intellectual" :lol: ).

In fact, when my mom found out I was liberal a few months ago, she said, "Well, don't discuss politics with my brothers then."

My HS was a different sort of place, so, we debated all sorts of shit all the time, and that's where I started to become inquisitve/active politically, and for causes that hit home for me. Granted, as I grew older and perhaps busier, my efforts ran more towards financial support than time and effort, but, I still believe in taking action and not babbling for hours on end about the same.....fucking.....issues.

I lurk in FYM for the most part. But my favourite FYM post in a long time was when someone said, and I paraphrase: "When George W. Bush is gone, God help us all." After the initial shock of reading that wore off, I couldn't help but laugh hysterically. :)

phillyfan26 said:
That's the sort of place I'm in: becoming politically interested and aware.

That's a good thing about FYM, it WILL challenge you and some posters will really make you think and refine your own positions on the issues.

But sometimes it's just :blahblah:

When I first started posting in FYM, I considered myself on the fence about the death penalty, and pro-life. Both of those views have evolved.

phillyfan26 said:
When I first started posting in FYM, I considered myself on the fence about the death penalty, and pro-life. Both of those views have evolved.

There is no topic on G-d's green earth that I feel more strongly about than the death penalty. The last place, therefore, I'd go to talk about it would be FYM.

Does anyone here use the ignore list?

I never have. I don't think people should get away with their stupid comments, personally.

I really wish I knew who was ignoring me. I am positive I piss people off now and then, but I really am not sure who I've pissed off enough times to ignore me.

Back
Top Bottom