The Temple Bar - Not Like Everybody Says ... Like Dumb ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
:lol: Oh, Dumb and Dumber. A classic. I don't know anyone who doesn't like that movie.

I used to know every line from that movie. I probably still do. :reject:

Aspen CO sure looked droolworthy in that movie! :drool:

Thanks for the info NSW! Yeah I hope I get to vacation there sometime. :)

I pretty much hated Dumb & Dumber. But I loved the soundtrack.

Oh wait, I did laugh at the scene where Jim Carrey's trying to think of the girl's name and something about it being on her suitcase and .... "SAMSONITE! Huh, I was WAY off."

His delivery on that bit cracked me up. But I didn't like the movie. And I usually am game for dumb humor.

OK...I'm forcing myself to get off this laptop and go to bed.

Goodnight bar :wave:

:D

Oh and did I mention that Obama swept the primaries and caucuses held in Washington, Nebraska and Louisiana today? He also took the Virgin Islands :applaud:

I KNEW Cori was going to not have liked Dumb and Dumber, somehow.

Which is good, cos now I am not alone. Film was just not my cup of tea. Not a big Carrey fan.

Right on, my brother.

Carrey was hit or miss for me, back in the day. First I saw of him was The Mask, which I loved. Then I went home and immediately rented the first Ace Ventura, which I hadn't seen. Loved it.

Then I got sick of him pretty fast.

I like him in 2 films:

Truman Show
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Which are 2 dramatic turns for him, although the former has dashes of his manic nature.

I thought the Truman Show was just okay. I think I was one of the few who liked The Cable Guy. Don't need to see it again, but I thought it was interesting, and the first stretch for Carrey to do something other than amiable jokey guy. Creepy jokey guy is a step in the interesting direction.

I loved Eternal Sunshine.

I just rewatched the Truman Show not too long ago, and it's even more poignant to me now than the first time around. Maybe cos I work in the business and all.

Eternal Sunshine is the better film, though, to me.

Zootlesque said:
His serious roles were really good but I still think D&D was his peak! The Mask too.

I think most Carrey fans would agree with you. Since I'm not a fan, though, I find his dramatic roles a hell of a lot more interesting.

Same with Sandler. Not a fan of his films (loved him on Remote Control and SNL, though), but, thought he was fantastic in Punch Drunk Love.

When a person with that sort of manic energy can suffuse it, or channel it into a role, I'm kind of fascinated.

No spoken words said:

I think most Carrey fans would agree with you. Since I'm not a fan, though, I find his dramatic roles a hell of a lot more interesting.

Same with Sandler. Not a fan of his films (loved him on Remote Control and SNL, though), but, thought he was fantastic in Punch Drunk Love.

When a person with that sort of manic energy can suffuse it, or channel it into a role, I'm kind of fascinated.

So you'd put Robin Williams in that category as well? I much prefer his dramatic roles than the comedic ones. But I did really like Good Morning Vietnam, where he was kind of himself but also playing a real person (Adrian Cronauer)

Robin Williams has done some interesting things since venturing down the "serious" path.

I love Good Morning Vietnam, but there's a lot of "Robin Williams" in the performance. Which is fine, it works in the movie.

I also liked The Fisher King, but there were still moments where you saw that manic "Robin Williams" again. Which mostly worked with the character, who was mentally ill. But still.

Same with Dead Poets Society, where there's still a little bit of that manic guy trying to get out.

I thought he was really subdued in Awakenings, and it worked well. And he plays creepy REALLY well. One Hour Photo and Insomnia, he was good in both - I thought he was super creepy in One Hour Photo.

And then he does shit like RV or Patch Adams, and when you see him on TV he's still doing his manic attention whore act, and it just makes me hate him.

corianderstem said:

I thought he was really subdued in Awakenings, and it worked well. And he plays creepy REALLY well. One Hour Photo and Insomnia, he was good in both - I thought he was super creepy in One Hour Photo.

:yes: I love Insomnia, and One Hour Photo was good as well.

He was pretty much all non-manic in Good Will Hunting.

Lila64 said:
So you'd put Robin Williams in that category as well? I much prefer his dramatic roles than the comedic ones. But I did really like Good Morning Vietnam, where he was kind of himself but also playing a real person (Adrian Cronauer)

He was really good in Awakenings and Good Morning Vietnam :yes:

Movies like Awakenings bother me, because they are, to me, overly manipulative.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, a recent film dealing with a stroke patient, managed to be funny and moving and sad and hopeful all at once without ever being predictable or manipulative, and it was based on a true story so you know how it ends, making the film all the more remarkable.

There are so many movies out, and many discussed here on the forum, that I just haven't seen, but would like to. But I'd prefer to see them from the comfort of my couch. Yes, I'm lazy.

And I'm now listening to The Doves, before taking a break. Nice touch on the Brokeback Mountain track there :up:

I made my list months ago, so, I cannot pretend the Brokeback bit is in honor of Ledger....I just wanted some short tunes to break up the different parts of the list. Glad you're listening to it, hope you like it, regardless of who you vote for. This is the first list I've ever done for an interference thread.

I tried downloading and listening to many during the Desert Island contests, but it got to be too much for me, especially with180 minute lists and such. I would play it while working most times. I prefer the shorter lists, especially since there's so much downloading involved. And re-sorting lists so they play in the order that those participating in the competition wanted them in. You not-withstanding. Currently on TFF, a band I saw back in the 80s in Hollywood.

I know that this site has lots of crazy threads, just rife with comedy, but this is my favorite lately:

Thread:

Confirmed track names?

jinn77 said:
Mercy
No Line On the Horizon
Northern Star

Any more?

phillyfan26 said:
What do you mean by confirmed?

jinn77 said:
By confirmed, I meant rumoured or works in progress.

Come on, this is just too fucking rich.

BonoManiac said:
^Speaking of which, doesn't it seem like the Super Bowl was played ages ago? I know it was only last Sunday but it feels like it's been a lot longer than that for me.

Agreed.

I watched some college hoops tonight, Purdue at Wisconsin, on an absolutely amazingly programmed Network. :)

Back
Top Bottom