The Temple Bar - Lemons UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
I didn't take the SAT. I only took the ACT, because both schools I was looking closest at didn't require the SAT.

What kind of scool requires ACT? I see the study guides, but I never knew what it was for. I was thinking either architecture, education or business.

2030? Nice! It's the same as the year you're finally gonna get some. OOOHHHHH SNAP, SON! PWND!

I got 1100, which is why I figured you got 1200, cause at sixteen my greatest achievement was turning an apple into a pipe. I couldn't have gone into FYM and had any sort of intelligent debate back then. In fact, I still can't but that's beside the point. But I didn't need to wait until...2014 to get some either. OOHHHH SNAP, SON! PWND x2!

UberBeaver said:

2030? Nice! It's the same as the year you're finally gonna get some. OOOHHHHH SNAP, SON! PWND!

:lol: Dude needs to get some common sense and actually cheer for a baseball team with less than 10,000 losses before that SAT score means something. :wink:

unico said:

:shocked: holy shit! that's awesome :hi5: What would be your 1600 score?

Oh and sidenote: my students in the next room also happen to be talking about the SATs too.

My best score was in writing, which you take off for the 1600 score ... 1310.

LOL. Dublin. I'd love to visit Ireland sometime.

My mom's goal for me was 1400, so she's a little disappointed. But you know what? I learned a long time ago that it's difficult to please her academically, so I really don't give a shit what she thinks.

I'll probably take it again in March or April.

phillyfan26 said:
LOL. Dublin. I'd love to visit Ireland sometime.

My mom's goal for me was 1400, so she's a little disappointed. But you know what? I learned a long time ago that it's difficult to please her academically, so I really don't give a shit what she thinks.

I'll probably take it again in March or April.

tell your mom if she wants a 1400 she can take the damn test herself.

I'm screwing around with some SAT prep tests.

I now know that I have a pretty damn...uh...good vocabulary. :wink: I'd fail horribly at anything mathematical, however. That's the only subject I've ever struggled in. It started with division and has continued into algebra 2. It's all a struggle for me. :reject:

UberBeaver said:
What kind of scool requires ACT? I see the study guides, but I never knew what it was for. I was thinking either architecture, education or business.

One was a state school, the other a private, liberal arts school (which I ended up attending). The ACT itself wasn't required per se, but if you didn't take the SAT, you had to take the ACT.

I barely even remember taking it. No idea how I prepared, or what the test itself was like. I did well, that's all I need to remember. Not that it matters 12 years out of college. :wink:

Well, she did.

And I think she got over a 1400.

:shrug:

She claims now that she's not disappointed, but just thinks that 1310 "won't blow people's doors off."

My lowest score was in math, but I have a C in math this quarter, so I didn't have too many expectations for that either. :lol:

phillyfan26 said:
Well, she did.

And I think she got over a 1400.

:shrug:

She claims now that she's not disappointed, but just thinks that 1310 "won't blow people's doors off."

My lowest score was in math, but I have a C in math this quarter, so I didn't have too many expectations for that either. :lol:

as a college administrator i can tell you that it takes a hell of a lot more than a high SAT score to blow someone's door off. you're the vp, you play basketball, and you've got a 1310. doors are already blown because you are a very involved and well-rounded person. that's what they're looking for. no worries man. but, as you know, you can take the test as many times as you want.

I'm certainly relieved. Now I feel like all future SATs have some of the pressure off.

phillyfan26 said:

My mom's goal for me was 1400

But that's exactly 300 LESS than the most politically insightful SAT score in history. Crazy.

corianderstem said:
I barely even remember taking it. No idea how I prepared, or what the test itself was like. I did well, that's all I need to remember. Not that it matters 12 years out of college. :wink:

I just remember so much hype and preparation for that stupid thing. And then.....nothing. COmpletely forgot I even took the thing, really. I guess it helped cause I got into the only school I applied to. I dunno. Stupid shit.

Funny story:

My dad was a C student for much of his high school years, and ended up with one of the highest SAT scores in the history of his school district. He went in with a cold, guessed his way through much of it, and everybody thought he cheated. :lmao:

In the end, I think he got a partial scholarship or something and never even completed his first 4 years of college at San Jose St.

I think stories like that that kind of weaken the credibility of the SAT.

Yeah, I hear you. I only applied to two schools. When I started out, I was looking for a school that had a specific "music business" school. That ended up being pretty useless and I ended up designing my own major for a while, then ended up with a double major and a minor. Anyway.

I always wondered how I would have done on the SATs, but I don't know that I'm the best test-taker in the world. It probably just would have made me feel inadequate.

I'm really confused as to the importance of the SAT's. I had to take some subject tests but I never had that demarcation like High School to College

My mother never even took an SAT. She got out of it with a medical excuse (major surgery due to a tumor on her spine).

I'm told it's best to apply to six or seven schools: 2 fall backs, 2 high standards, and 2-3 reasonable choices that fit your needs.

I already know my two fallbacks are local state schools, and I'm applying to Penn State. Other than that ... I don't know. It'll come with research.

I hear a lot of good things about Maryland, actually.

Yes, there's always my favorite community college: DCCCCCC. (Delaware County Community College - Chester County Campus)

I have a story like LM's Dad, actually, but I already bore everyone enough.

More importantly......PFan, congrats on the score!!

I wish your Mom's reaction was a little more supportive/positive. You should be proud of yourself for scoring so high, and for being a pretty damn well-adjusted and intelligent kid, sports allegiances aside. Many parents wish their kid could 3/4 as well on such a test.

Anyway, again, well done.

unico said:
I mean, the SAT is a valid test, as it sets out to measure proficiency in specific areas. However, it does not predict college success, which is a notion that some people seem to believe.

QFT...I know people who scored high on their SATs, took two years of college and then started bagging groceries at the local Safeway.

You gotta have the drive too...which I'm sure is no problem for PF, but it's not an indicator of the future for everyone...:no:

unico said:
I mean, the SAT is a valid test, as it sets out to measure proficiency in specific areas. However, it does not predict college success, which is a notion that some people seem to believe.

Exactly. SATs are great for people who are great at taking tests. Some struggle with the pressure and their grades are slightly lower because of it, but that doesn't mean they won't be able to succeed in college.

I have always been great at taking tests and writing my thoughts down on paper, but that doesn't mean I'll be a success in the workplace or anything.

No spoken words said:

I wish your Mom's reaction was a little more supportive/positive. You should be proud of yourself for scoring so high, and for being a pretty damn well-adjusted and intelligent kid, sports allegiances aside. Many parents wish their kid could 3/4 as well on such a test.

exactly. but you know you've got our support right here in your favorite bar, pfa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom