The Temple Bar: Legit Home of the RECESSION ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Office wishes it was 1/2 as good as AD was.

AD got cancelled because no matter where Fox aired it, it garnered poor ratings. They were actually set to cancel it after Season 1, but it won a shitload of awards, Emmy included. Just one of those shows that the critics loved, and had a cult following, but could not get mainstream America to watch.

Beav, coincidentally, I've been watching Season 2 this week, first time watching these episodes since their original air. Fucking amazing.

Yeah, it sounds like a show that's right up my alley too. I'm very intrigued.

PFan, I'd be stunned if you did not like it.

The best thing is, there are things you might not notice the first time around, it's that packed with references and sight gags, etc. I could not recommend it more highly.

I'm right there with Pfan...haven't seen AD once in my life. Heard it was great though. Any particular episode to start with?

Could not agree more.

I noticed something in an episode last night that I totally missed the first time around, and it cracked me up....involved their lawyer, Barry Zuckerkorn. Fucking priceless reference.

LemonMelon said:
I'm right there with Pfan...haven't seen AD once in my life. Heard it was great though. Any particular episode to start with?

As Beav said, you need to start from the beginning. Not one episode is a stand alone.

Well, I have nothing else to do tonight, really. I'll dig up some episodes on the net and tell you what I think.

No spoken words said:
Could not agree more.

I noticed something in an episode last night that I totally missed the first time around, and it cracked me up....involved their lawyer, Barry Zuckerkorn. Fucking priceless reference.

Which one?

Scott Baio is awesome too - Bob Loblaw. Hysterical.

No spoken words said:

Not one episode is a stand alone.

I've heard some speculate that that's why it didn't succeed, that because of the story arc, it was hard to get into.

I really, really like the show, but unlike most who do, I don't think it's the best thing ever. I think The Office and now, 30 Rock are better. I'll show myself out, now.

VintagePunk said:

I've heard some speculate that that's why it didn't succeed, that because of the story arc, it was hard to get into.

I really, really like the show, but unlike most who do, I don't think it's the best thing ever. I think The Office and now, 30 Rock are better. I'll show myself out, now.

Ha, you don't have to show yourself out. I like the Office and 30 Rock, but, to me, they're not in the same league as AD.

The story arc made it hard for new viewers to just jump in, yes.

No spoken words said:

Ha, you don't have to show yourself out. I like the Office and 30 Rock, but, to me, they're not in the same league as AD.

The story arc made it hard for new viewers to just jump in, yes.

It's just weird. Most people who watched the show feel the same way about it that you and Beav do. We started watching it mid 2nd season, I think. I got Sarah the 3 seasons of dvds for Christmas.

Baldwin is easily the best part of 30 Rock. Tina Fey is a strong writer, but not a great comic actress. Kenneth cracks me up....the episode where he starts drinking coffee, good lord, he was killing me.

No spoken words said:
Baldwin is easily the best part of 30 Rock. Tina Fey is a strong writer, but not a great comic actress. Kenneth cracks me up....the episode where he starts drinking coffee, good lord, he was killing me.

Dude, Tracey Morgan is as funny as Alec Baldwin. I love that they are polar opposites, but get along so well. Did you see the one when Alec Baldwin role-played Tracey's father? That was friggin hysterical.

I have not missed an episode, I really do like the show a lot. Just not on par with AD. I actually think VP and I had this exact discussion at least once before, possibly twice. :)

And, yes, that episode was great. I cannot claim that I find Tracy as funny as Baldwin, I don't, but, he's better than I originally thought he'd be, since his background was stand up and then the sketches on SNL.

my mom told me ther other day I shold be watching 30 rock :(
I fail at pop culture. What season is it on now? I should try and find it online.

No spoken words said:

I think Fey is brilliant in this. I've read where people have called her "wooden" but I don't find that at all. And I've also read comparisons of her and Jerry Seinfeld as far as acting skills go, saying that he wasn't exactly a good actor, and yet his show succeeded wildly.

UberBeaver said:

Dude, Tracey Morgan is as funny as Alec Baldwin. I love that they are polar opposites, but get along so well. Did you see the one when Alec Baldwin role-played Tracey's father? That was friggin hysterical.

I'm more on board with this. I find Tracy hilarious in this, and I really didn't expect to. The only character of his I liked on SNL was that animal show guy who thought the animals were talking to him. lol I think the show has a really strong ensemble cast, and that Baldwin, Morgan and Fey are equally important.

The one character I don't really get a feel for is Jenna. Is she supposed to be an airhead? Is she smart, but playing an airhead? Are her and Liz Lemon best friends, or are they acquaintences? They need to make up their mind how they're gonna play her. Oy vey.

I've only seen a handful of 30 Rocks, but most are good. Some of it's forced, and none of it is as good as AD. But how can you not love Tina Fey?

I like the one when Tracey explains to Kenneth that whenever he loses something he just screams out the item he lost and then he always finds it. So he starts screaming, "PANTS PANTS PANTS PANTS PANTS" and griz and dot com come running out with handfuls of pants. lol. That was funny.

snowbunny00774 said:
my mom told me ther other day I shold be watching 30 rock :(
I fail at pop culture. What season is it on now? I should try and find it online.

She's right. :drool: It's amazing. Funny and snarky and topical. Everything that SNL hasn't been, for decades.

The show succeeds despite her sub-par acting, largely due to the strong writing, and the strength of those around her, just like Seinfeld.

Again, I like this show and have watched from the pilot on.

Back
Top Bottom