The Temple Bar - Knock it off, Beav: UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It isnt yet.
But I think we decided on Love is Blindness.

It would be cool if we did Do They Know its Christmas :hmm:

unico said:

I get what you mean...but I don't know if that is true in general. I don't think the same can be said for other art media, you know? I think some people were just born with a very technical lens, and they're going to apply that perspective to whatever area they pursue, could be film, music, etc. There's lovers then there's critics.

Well, I'm coming from a specific place, I guess. Having lived in LA for 10 years, I came to know a lot of people who worked in cinema, or, were trying to. A few people I knew went into film school looking at things one way, and came out looking at it another. Same for those who were writer/producer/director majors at UCLA or USC. Now, of course you're supposed to come out of these studies with a brand new perspective, and a whole lot more expertise. They know more about film than I ever will. But, in my general experience, what these people gained in technical understanding and expertise, they lost in appreciating emotional impact. There is someone on this site who adores Scorcese, but hates Spielberg. That's fine. He considers Spielberg's worlds wholly unrealistic, due to the "cloying" emotions displayed on the screen. But he finds Scorcese's worlds believable, despite his probably never having lived in that sort of environment. But, to me, (I am a person who appreciates both for different reasons), both worlds are equally fantastical and realistic. People do cry, and people do commit violence. People do have flights of fancy, and people do steal. When you can watch Schindler's List and dwell on everything that's wrong with it, and not feel any sort of impact at all, I question that, and if that makes me judgemental, so be it. The spectrum is wide and I think you have to allow room for many things.

A very close friend of mine can no longer watch a sit-com without totally analyzing it, as opposed to just viewing it. What does she do for a living? She writes for a sit-com. She's great at her job, but a lot less fun to watch TV with now. :)

GFY Beav.

No spoken words said:

Well, I'm coming from a specific place, I guess. Having lived in LA for 10 years, I came to know a lot of people who worked in cinema, or, were trying to. A few people I knew went into film school looking at things one way, and came out looking at it another. Same for those who were writer/producer/director majors at UCLA or USC. Now, of course you're supposed to come out of these studies with a brand new perspective, and a whole lot more expertise. They know more about film than I ever will. But, in my general experience, what these people gained in technical understanding and expertise, they lost in appreciating emotional impact. There is someone on this site who adores Scorcese, but hates Spielberg. That's fine. He considers Spielberg's worlds wholly unrealistic, due to the "cloying" emotions displayed on the screen. But he finds Scorcese's worlds believable, despite his probably never having lived in that sort of environment. But, to me, (I am a person who appreciates both for different reasons), both worlds are equally fantastical and realistic. People do cry, and people do commit violence. People do have flights of fancy, and people do steal. When you can watch Schindler's List and dwell on everything that's wrong with it, and not feel any sort of impact at all, I question that, and if that makes me judgemental, so be it. The spectrum is wide and I think you have to allow room for many things.

A very close friend of mine can no longer watch a sit-com without totally analyzing it, as opposed to just viewing it. What does she do for a living? She writes for a sit-com. She's great at her job, but a lot less fun to watch TV with now. :)

GFY Beav.

As I see what you mean. You're right then, it must be very specific to film. I don't know any producers or writers, just musicians, visual, and performing fine artists, so I was speaking from those media. Some of them do more critiquing than anything else, but for the most part they really do get lost in this world that only they see. I find it fascinating and they've really opened up my perspective. I find I listen to music, watch performances, and explore canvasses with more of an open mind thanks to them.

waynetravis said:
It isnt yet.
But I think we decided on Love is Blindness.

It would be cool if we did Do They Know its Christmas :hmm:

okay i'll go post a lyric legend. hopefully i can pick a line before i depart for the weekend. thanks for the heads up! perhaps we can do the latter next after LiB.

unico said:

okay i'll go post a lyric legend. hopefully i can pick a line before i depart for the weekend. thanks for the heads up! perhaps we can do the latter next after LiB.

Nice :drool:

IGWSHA = ?

"...just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, and that it's not all dollars and cents: She was beautiful; she was innocent. She was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had it all over the woyild."

That's been in my head all day.

Indeed Dodi, I told the Awesome Elves to reduce Awesome Emissions by 125% for the time being. It may lead to a drop in Bar Ramblings, but it will allow for quicker refreshing, sometimes sacrifices need to be made. And with my olive oil voice and guinea charm, it should help.

you voice sounds more like 2 rats fucking in a sock. many people don't know this because very few can even withstand the putrid stench long enough to talk to you. UGH why did she have to fly in circles for a whole fucking hour. FUCK. where's the fucking pie?

Just droppin' this smiley off. I see another busy day in my immediate future (now) :|

tgif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom