The Temple Bar ~ "Kaffy is a wicked, wicked tease"..and so is BoMac.. UYMFA!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
The other thing is that USB turntable I posted the link for only plays 33.33 and 45 RPM records. Is this a cause for concern? Are there many 78 RPM records? I have no clue. :lol:

April, would it be sexy talk if I placed the needle on some sexy music?

I'll allow it. :wink:

I do feel like I walked into Vorshr[oeguierghfghfdj Tekk.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I'm very tempted to write "Larry loves the Tang" in that thread in EYKIW and see what happens, what do you think?

:lmao: EYKIW has been a dangerous place lately, but I say go for it

Zootlesque said:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/90a0/

- 33.33 and 45 RPM playback speeds
- Supports the recording of 78 RPM records through the included software
- Packaged with all necessary cables to interconnect with both a computer and stereo playback system

What do you guys think? :hyper:

That's all you need for what it sounds like you want to do. And it comes with Audacity, which if you don't already use you'll probably enjoy using. Don't use the high-speed recording option tho, there's a trade-off in quality.

You should check if it allows you to put on a better needle that you buy separately....wait....I'm getting geeky again :huh: :lol: it's probably fine the way it is :up:

:wink:

Zootlesque said:
Only thing I don't like about that USB turntable is... it looks too modern. :lol: I want something old fashioned to play the old fashioned records I have. Then maybe I'm better of buying those Crosley wood design ones from ebay. :hmm:

Plus I have no interest in the ripping function! I did not buy records to rip them to mp3! I bought them to listen to audio in record format.

You might not now, but why not buy one with the flexibility to do so? The one you first looked at can be used just with a stereo for now, and maybe one day you'll want to make copies of your records, who knows? :shrug:

I would say though that if you NEVER want to make computer copies of your records, don't buy that one, buy a decent standalone turntable, pay average money for the unit and replace the needle with a better needle than the one that comes with it. The sound is largely about the needle ;)

But it doesn't have that old fashioned look of a record player, does it? :sigh:

Am I asking for too much? lol

Hey GVox, can you recommend me a needle? Mine's crap

It's one of those flat long red onces is that a good enough explination?

And is flat long red one a shady enough phrase for you April?

gvox said:

You don't know old jazz or classical? :sad:

I love swing (not a big jazz fan) and classical, that's what's so frustrating, I just can't find anything I know. I am tempted to just buy something on a whim and hope for the best. I couldn't believe I couldn't even find a classical movement I knew.

elevated_u2_fan said:

there are still record players lurking around, try repair stores or pawn shops...

Oh yeah there definitely are! CoolRecordPlayers.com... ebay!!!

See, this is what I'm bouncing back and forth between:

a. Get a turntable and connect it to a good stereo speaker or computer.

b. Get an old fashioned wood panelled record player with built in speaker and just enjoy the records the way they were meant to be heard!

Isn't option b better?

Zootlesque said:
But it doesn't have that old fashioned look of a record player, does it? :sigh:

Am I asking for too much? lol

Well you might not want to buy a console 'record player' off ebay dude, the shipping charges alone will be worth more than the unit! :lol:

Best bet for that, as elfa says, is pawn shops, second hand stores. There are some real beauties at the shops here in Toronto, anyways..

Did I not mention earlier Zootles that they might have that at Sears? I know they at least sell them at Christmas time if not year round.

Zootlesque said:

Isn't option b better?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the way they were meant to be heard', because when those old wooden thingys came out, that was the available technology for home use but they vinyl itself was mastered on far better equipment, but the cost was too prohibitive for the average home listener. To be honest the oldies but goodies aint that good at all, man.

Get a decent turntable with an excellent needle hooked up to a good stereo reciever and higher-end speakers. That's how the records are 'meant to be played' ;)

Unless, of course, you want to go this classic:

EdisonPhonograph.jpg

:wink:

Hahaha freaking gramaphone... okay I see. So you're saying those old fashioned pretty looking wooden record players with speaker ain't all that?? I just wanted to preserve that antique look or whatever to go with the vinyl. :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Hahaha freaking gramaphone... okay I see. So you're saying those old fashioned pretty looking wooden record players with speaker ain't all that?? I just wanted to preserve that antique look or whatever to go with the vinyl. :drool:

I like the look, and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the sound, but like I said before, I don't know any better, so take GVox's advice, cause he obviously knows what he's talking about :lol:

Zootlesque said:

Ok well I do sense you want to be retro about the look. That's cool and all. I'm a complete sound geek, so I don't care about the retro look so much... I'm not saying you won't get good quality out of the big old wood ones, but you'll like have to make some mods to it. If the cabinetry is what you like, simply get an old cabinet and make your own system out of it with newer components inside. Your guests will never know the difference, and you'll get cool retro looks with great sound :up:

wow... what thread did I just walk into.. We are talking vinyl eh? Haven't heard this kinda talk in a long while..
Guess what 45 I have a copy of? 11 O'Clock tick Tock... :D Still haven't got it signed yet...

Hiya Zoots!! :wave: :wink:

Haha make your own cabinet.. that's a good idea too! Thanks for your help, guys! :) I'm definitely gonna get a player or turntable soon!

April, you can resume ripping BoMac's clothes off now if you like.

elevated_u2_fan said:

oh yeah, like we need more of that... I'm surprised you and BoMac haven't worn out your keyboards with all that sexy talk... :tsk: :lol:

you can choose to take a double meaning from "keyboards" if you want :sexywink:

:lol:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
wow... what thread did I just walk into.. We are talking vinyl eh? Haven't heard this kinda talk in a long while..
Guess what 45 I have a copy of? 11 O'Clock tick Tock... :D Still haven't got it signed yet...

:ohmy:

12" singles blow my mind.

I have the TUF single.

how can you call that thing a "single" it's nearly an effin album

Back
Top Bottom