The Temple Bar ~ "Kaffy is a wicked, wicked tease"..and so is BoMac.. UYMFA!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to listen to the soundtrack now :sad: but my records and record player are out in the car with most of the rest of my crap. Youtube stuff will have to suffice

So... I just received a Porcupine Tree CD in the mail. Bought it from an amazon.com seller. It said brand new sealed but the price had been discounted from the regular price of 17 something to 12 bucks. I just opened the package. The 2 CDs and liner notes are in perfect condition but the jewel case is all busted in 3 or 4 different places. :| The 2 CD holder that is supposed to hinge from the middle of the case came off loose. I guess that's why it was discounted. Otherwise CDs and notes are in great condition.

:sigh:

KhanadaRhodes said:
awwww. i'm never far from my record player :drool:

Yo what record player do you have? I have a few records and I never listen to them cos I got no player! :lol: I've looked at Crosley players on ebay ranging from 70 to 100 bucks. :hmm:

I almost always expect the jewel case to be irreperable when I buy cds off of amazon, and for the most part I don't care, as long as the linear notes are ok :drool:

Um WTF: just got a reply:

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

*note to self, never get an earthlink email address*

Zootlesque said:

Yo what record player do you have? I have a few records and I never listen to them cos I got no player! :lol: I've looked at Crosley players on ebay ranging from 70 to 100 bucks. :hmm:

I've got one of those antique looking dealies that play my tapes, cds, records, iPod, and radio

bono_212 said:
I almost always expect the jewel case to be irreperable when I buy cds off of amazon, and for the most part I don't care, as long as the linear notes are ok :drool:

Well... the thing is this seller never mentioned in the posting that the jewel case was broken! Not one word! :grumpy: Oh well.

bono_212 said:

Um WTF: just got a reply:

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

*note to self, never get an earthlink email address*

:lol: The nerve of that guy! :yell:

well it was an automated response so Idon't blame him. But that seems like it owuld be the most inconvienent thing ever. How does he get e-mail, like ever?

Zootlesque said:

Even iPod??? Wow!

Well mine just has a slot for a line in cable, which I can use to play my iPod on it. But I did see one at sears for the same price with an iPod dock on it (Couldn't get that one cause mom had a $50 gift card to Carson's so really the record player I got was $50 "cheaper")

You can buy empty jewel cases - I have a ton here for work :)
Zoots - the CD may have been fine, it may have been damaged in transit. Sometimes, no matter how well you pack CDs, they arrive cracked. We do our best to send stuff in good condition. If we see a sealed CD has a cracked case, we'll throw an extra one in the shipment.

Sorry about the bonehead who thought he was buying a CD when you clearly stated it was an LP bono_212. That sucks. His stupidity really shouldn't be your fault. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

Well... the thing is this seller never mentioned in the posting that the jewel case was broken! Not one word! :grumpy: Oh well.

If it was sealed, is it possible that the case was broken in transit? I've bought lots of new cds and dvds online from Amazon or a Canadian chain, Chapters, and have received some of them with cracked cases, or more commonly, the inner tab thingy that holds the cd in place broken. :happy: I HATE that.

Ashley, does Amazon still allow users to rate sellers? I agree that the guy is being awfully petty, but you've gotta ask yourself if holding out on the return is worth getting negative feedback.

Zootlesque said:
it's an ion record player, i got it from tower records :sad: a few years ago. i plays 33s, 45s, and 78s. not that i have any 78s to play on it! :lol: but still. it just hooks up to any stereo and you're good to go. i just needed...i think it's called an rca cable from radio shack? i'm not so good with names of cables, but i always know what they look like. the player itself was like $90.

(to lila and VP)
Yeah maybe it was damaged in transit... I don't know though. It looks too busted in too many places to be something that happened in transit! :lol: I guess it doesn't matter cos I'm gonna burn the CD to itunes and my iPod anyway and never listen to the actual CD again! lol. I do have spare jewel cases but none that hold 2 CDs.

Last edited:
Khan, there are Crosley record players on ebay and other sites that you don't even need to plug in to any other device... they have their own speakers! that you can get for within 80 to 100 bucks with shipping.

Zootlesque said:
Khan, there are Crosley record players on ebay and other sites that you don't even need to plug in to any other device... they have their own speakers! that you can get for within 80 to 100 bucks with shipping.

:lol: You young 'uns are so cute when you talk about 'record players' and express excitement that some come with speakers. :cute:

Zootlesque said:
:lol: i just plug mine into my stereo. i already had it and it's got good sound, so that part doesn't bother me. unless it was a huge record player (like the big wooden kind from the 70s or something) i don't think i'd want ones with built-in speakers.

VintagePunk said:
:lol: You young 'uns are so cute when you talk about 'record players' and express excitement that some come with speakers. :cute:

:reject:

Are built in speakers usually not good?

Zootlesque said:

:reject:

Are built in speakers usually not good?

In small, portable record players? No, they're usually crappy. I can't say about bigger ones that might be out now, I've never looked at them.

Basically, when I was really young, they used to have small, cheap portable ones with built in speakers - stuff that kids would use. When you got into your teen years/became a real music fan, you would get a decent stereo system with components, and buy a good turntable to hook up to it. Adults still persisted on calling these turntables record players though, much to the disdain of the hipper generation. Then older adults who didn't know any better would have floor model type record players/stereo systems, in which all the (usually cheap and crappy) components were built into a wooden box that was more like a piece of furniture.

[/historylesson]

:wink:

It just simply blows my mind that the record will play without hte speakers anyways, don't try to complicate matter VP, I'm young :lol:

Portable (although this one is way more old school than I remember)

42-17244518.jpg

This is a copy of the old cabinet model, the top is a lid that you lift where you'd find the record player and controls. They didn't have drawers for storage like this one does. Looks like this ones sells now at some UK store:

fol039666.jpg

So I just went on that rate my prof site to see if my whole "this guy is ridiculous" claims were unfounded and hmm, seems like my entire school thinks he's the devil incarnate. :happy:

I was going to try and half ass it, but I don't want to risk failing altogether cause it sounds like this guy is a-n-a-l. Lovely. :down:

I think I've had it with this day.

when I turn the volume all the way down on the stereo, the record is still audible, why's that?

VintagePunk said:
This is a copy of the old cabinet model, the top is a lid that you lift where you'd find the record player and controls. They didn't have drawers for storage like this one does. Looks like this ones sells now at some UK store:

fol039666.jpg
thank you! that's what i was trying to think of in my post. for this model, of course i would just use the built-in speakers. but anything other than a cabinet model? i'll be hooking it up to a stereo or other component parts thx
headphones.gif

Back
Top Bottom