The Temple Bar ~ "Kaffy is a wicked, wicked tease"..and so is BoMac.. UYMFA!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoManiac said:
Let me ask you: are both your parents of Italian descent? If so, was it them that sheltered you? Were they born in the States or in Italy? Are they particularly traditional in their thinking?

My mom is the Italian, and she's very cool. Neither of them really sheltered me, and looking back, I was never really "sheltered" per se as more of it being my own doing. Does that make sense?

Are both of your parents Italian, and did you get that kind of treatment, even though you're a male?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

My mom is the Italian, and she's very cool. Neither of them really sheltered me, and looking back, I was never really "sheltered" per se as more of it being my own doing. Does that make sense?

Are both of your parents Italian, and did you get that kind of treatment, even though you're a male?

Well, that's what I was getting at actually. Both my parents are Italian, but I know that they treated me differently because I'm a male. I know for a fact that most families would definitely take a harder line with their daughters. I was just curious if this was the case with you, because you mentioned the word "sheltered".

Sicy said:
My parents are both Italian/Sicilian :drool:

Somehow I knew you'd pop up during this discussion. :lol:

What about you? Do you think your parents sheltered you more because you're a woman?

I'm interested in this, because in Montreal, the vast majority of Italian families—and most Mediterranean households (see My Big Fat Greek Wedding for an example) for that matter—have retained traditions and values from the "old country." I've been rebelling against this mentality for years, because I think that it's causing a lot of people to grow up with a skewed sense of reality. Most Italian moms, for example, really overdo it by doing absolutely everything, from cooking to cleaning, for their children (usually their sons). This causes them not to learn about the "real world" and can have far-reaching consequences later in life.

Case in point: I moved out at 24, and I didn't even know how to use a washing machine, much less cook for myself because I never had to! I'm lucky because I learned, but there are still people in their early 30s who don't know these skills because their parents shelter them. This is wrong in my opinion.

Don't get me started! :rant:

*exhales*

Well my Dad's parents/grandparents are from Sicily but he was born in the U.S. My mom was born in Rome and moved here when she was 26. I lived at home until I was about 26 :reject: But I know how to use a washing machine :tongue: They are kind of old fashioned but over the last say 10 years my mom has totally broken out of this shell and she is very 'hip' and 'cool' now :lol: She doesnt just sit at home and cook and clean.. she has a life and she is always out doing things. My dad is still an non-emotion-showing hot tempered man so between the two they've balanced out me and my brother.

Sicy said:
Well my Dad's parents/grandparents are from Sicily but he was born in the U.S. My mom was born in Rome and moved here when she was 26. I lived at home until I was about 26 :reject: But I know how to use a washing machine :tongue: They are kind of old fashioned but over the last say 10 years my mom has totally broken out of this shell and she is very 'hip' and 'cool' now :lol: She doesnt just sit at home and cook and clean.. she has a life and she is always out doing things. My dad is still an non-emotion-showing hot tempered man so between the two they've balanced out me and my brother.

Ok, that's interesting. I'm glad your Mom is cooler now.:wink:

The sheltered thing and not learning how to cook/clean may be a problem with the next generation of kids, and not having anything to do with being Italian. Maddy is just learning how to do laundry. She brought her notepad out and took notes. She doesn't really know how to do other things :grumpy:

Lila64 said:
The sheltered thing and not learning how to cook/clean may be a problem with the next generation of kids, and not having anything to do with being Italian. Maddy is just learning how to do laundry. She brought her notepad out and took notes. She doesn't really know how to do other things :grumpy:

Yeah, but she's 13, so at least she's starting relatively early. I'm not trying to bring this down to a race thing, I'm just relaying what I've observed.

But good for you for teaching her these things! :hi5:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
No shit...I'm just as bad with my kids. Geez, I swore they'd have to work like I did, which was never as hard as my father worked when he was a kid. Pretty soon our kids won't be able to do anything..:sigh:

I was just having a talk with a co-worker about her daughter. This kid is going to be sheltered, cause she's already got the newest phones, the Juicy outifts, expensive perfumes, and is a brat and doesn't do anything. :crack:

I have a friend who is in her 20's, also very sheltered and she always comments on my cute apartment and stuff and I tell her that I work for it all, mommy and daddy do not pay for any of it.

Kids today :madwife:

BonoManiac said:

Yeah, but she's 13, so at least she's starting relatively early. I'm not trying to bring this down to a race thing, I'm just relaying what I've observed.

But good for you for teaching her these things! :hi5:

Really not THAT early. I'm not bringing it to a race thing either. I just see it that kids seems to have it good cuz the parents do everything for them. I had Maddy make me some tea last night. She wasn't sure what to do. I said just boil some water (she makes ramen all the time). And she'll help Dad when he makes breakfast on Sunday mornings (waffles) and she'll occasionally make cookies from scratch. Usually the store bought refrigerated kind too, the ones you just pop in the oven.

Hi Amy :wave:

Amy...:flirt:

Lila, I know what you mean, my 11 y.o. still wants me to cut his waffles for him...:huh: I told him to figure it out for himself...let's just say there was a lot of waffle and syrup on the table by the end of the meal...:lol:

My daughter is at least interested in helping and being a little more independent...:up:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Kids today :madwife:

Srsly. :crack: Ashley's sister is 14 and she has, an african american boyfriend, a tongue ring, a belly button ring, a new phone every month, goes out all the time, stays at friends' houses, half the time her mom doesnt even know where she is :rolleyes:

Sicy said:

Srsly. :crack: Ashley's sister is 14 and she has, an african american boyfriend, a tongue ring, a belly button ring, a new phone every month, goes out all the time, stays at friends' houses, half the time her mom doesnt even know where she is :rolleyes:

The mean streets of San Jose...:tsk:

No way...my daughter doesn't even have a cell phone!!! :no:

But she does have an African American boyfriend, a tongue ring, a belly ring, and a drinking problem...:whistle:

kids today is right :madwife:

Maddy is more grounded/level headed (I'd like to think). She knows when we shop when things are overpriced or expensive or just not even in the realm of being considered for purchase. I rarely buy myself stuff anymore cuz of the expense. And times have been tougher the last year or two. She wanted to do stuff around the house to earn money, but even that's difficult. I don't really feel she should be paid for doing things like keeping the house or her room clean or other "chores". Those should just be done. No one is paying me! We have a cleaning crew come once a month to clean the house, so if we let them go & Maddy wants to take over, we'd pay her. But she'll be entering high school :shocked: in the fall, and I don't see her having much free time at all. She doesn't have a lot now as it is :sigh: She's growing up so fast :sad:

Back
Top Bottom