The Temple Bar - It's Christmas, Elfa, please come home - UYMFA!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone help me. What is this winter classic I watched on TV today? Do all the teams play outdoors? Or is it just select teams in select areas? Like Boston at Fenway?

The Winter Classic is a game the NHL has held the past three years on Jan. 1. It's a way to acknowledge the roots of the game, celebrate it, while trying to reach a wider audience.

The first Classic was held in 2008 in front of 73,000 people at Ralph Wilson Stadium for a game between the Buffalo Sabres and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The second was last Jan. 1 at Wrigley Field between the Red Wings and the Blackhawks.

You'll like this, Phil. The idea for this annual game came after the success of an outdoor game between Michigan State and Michigan at East Lansing in October 2001. That game, dubbed the Cold War, was attended by almost 75,000 people, and ended in a 3-3 tie.

ETA: I pulled this from Wikipedia.

Michigan and Wisconsin will play at Camp Randall Stadium on February 6, 2010. Michigan and Michigan State will meet on December 11, 2010 at Michigan Stadium in the Cold War II (Ice Hockey) Both games have the potential to set a world attendance record, with Camp Randall's maximum capacity of 80,321 and Michigan Stadium's projected 110,000+ capacity at the completion of its current renovation project due to be completed prior to the game.

A dancing snake - you really need to post pics!

I have some vids of him dancing on facebook, if you're interested.

I feel like it's been snowing ever since I moved here. Perhaps that's partly my fault, coming from Buffalo and all. Oops.

Any fun plans this weekend, anybody?

I'm going to NYC again tonight to watch the VT basketball game. Other than that, I have to keep unpacking. Yesterday I put together a wine rack, desk, and dresser.

I watched the vids! Omg, that was hilarious when he fell halfway through the first video and never got back up :lol:
I think he has more rhythm than I do :reject:

So you're spending the day unpacking (like how you prioritized it!) and I'm spending the day packing up as we're going to start showing our house in a couple weeks and I need to get rid of all the clutter.
I probably need to hire one of those house stagers :crack:

It's all good. I have two jobs. Sure one is just above minimum wage and part time, but the other is important as it may lead to the job I want (sub teacher).

Lots of people would love to have two jobs. I am very thankful.

I know, Cali is in the same place as Michigan, if not worse. I hope the best for your cousin. :)

I watched the vids! Omg, that was hilarious when he fell halfway through the first video and never got back up :lol:
I think he has more rhythm than I do :reject:

So you're spending the day unpacking (like how you prioritized it!) and I'm spending the day packing up as we're going to start showing our house in a couple weeks and I need to get rid of all the clutter.
I probably need to hire one of those house stagers :crack:

Isn't he crazy? He's like a super snake. I'm surprised he hasn't broken anything. He has even fallen into his marble water bowl a few times. He just gets back up. Perseverance!

Good luck with the packing. Honestly? You really might wanna consider hiring some help. It was a pain in the ass for me, and I was only moving out of an apartment. I'm still not done moving in. It's a lot of work for 1 person! I wish you all the best! Have you found a new spot yet?

Lots of moving going on eh :wink:
I'm staying put for another year or two til I graduate. Then it's off for a year abroad in Ireland :D

What are you studying, Kristen? A year in Ireland sounds delicious. Is that for a job of some sorts? Or do you get to play with Irish boys for a year?

I am not going anywhere until I can get a teaching job with a salary. Even then, we'd have to make sure it was safe...lots of teachers being laid off for budget reasons...Michigan. :tsk:

Phil, have you considered looking out of state? I mean, moving can be pretty expensive, but it might be worth it in the long run. I know a few teacher friends that were able to secure jobs without hassle in VA. I suspect VA is doing a little better economically than Michigan.

What are you studying, Kristen? A year in Ireland sounds delicious. Is that for a job of some sorts? Or do you get to play with Irish boys for a year?

I'm earning my degree in political science. I have one year left. I took this year off so next year will be my last year :D

I've just always wanted to work abroad before I get settled into my career and such. I've always known that I'm not staying in Thunder Bay. I'll move to a bigger city, probably Toronto or Ottawa. I just want to have a little adventure before doing that. I know a lot of ppl that have done it or are doing it now and they say it's the best thing they've ever done. Plus I'll have my degree by then so hopefully I'll be able to get a half decent job over there. I'm gonna go with a Canadian program called SWAP.
Oh yes, I'll be playing with the Irish boys for a year :wink: :hyper:

45735.JPG

Don't land on 87...:wink:

I'm earning my degree in political science. I have one year left. I took this year off so next year will be my last year :D

I've just always wanted to work abroad before I get settled into my career and such. I've always known that I'm not staying in Thunder Bay. I'll move to a bigger city, probably Toronto or Ottawa. I just want to have a little adventure before doing that. I know a lot of ppl that have done it or are doing it now and they say it's the best thing they've ever done. Plus I'll have my degree by then so hopefully I'll be able to get a half decent job over there. I'm gonna go with a Canadian program called SWAP.
Oh yes, I'll be playing with the Irish boys for a year :wink: :hyper:

That's awesome Kristen - I did the SWAP thing for a year in London, England after my first year of poli. sci., too! Loved it so much I ended up moving out there for 4 years after I completed my degree :)

That's awesome Kristen - I did the SWAP thing for a year in London, England after my first year of poli. sci., too! Loved it so much I ended up moving out there for 4 years after I completed my degree :)

That's so cool :up: I'm jealous :wink:
London would be my second choice. I'm gonna try for Ireland cuz that's always been my dream.
Did you go with the actual SWAP program?

I did the first time, yep. My mom is from London so I applied for a 'Right of Abode' visa when I decided to go there for a longer period of time.
But yeah, it was all through SWAP when I went for the summer (not the year, oops) in 1994. I got a job as a cocktail waitress at an American crabshack on the King's Road in Chelsea.
I think I looked into Dublin, too but at the time I was told there were more job opportunities in London (I think that's why I chose London, it was so long ago I can't recall!).
What a blast, definitely recommended :up:

Hi everyone!

Back from my parents' place. :crack: 20 people crammed into one (fairly large) house, along with two very rambunctious little boys does not allow for much peace and quiet. :lol: It's nice to be in my own home again.

Kristen - I definitely echo the suggestions to study abroad. I did a semester program in Ireland with my university, and did my minor over there. It was amazing! Plus, you're so close to the other European countries, so we were able to do a lot of travel while we were there. Hope it works out for you to go with your school!

Hi everyone!

Back from my parents' place. :crack: 20 people crammed into one (fairly large) house, along with two very rambunctious little boys does not allow for much peace and quiet. :lol: It's nice to be in my own home again.

Kristen - I definitely echo the suggestions to study abroad. I did a semester program in Ireland with my university, and did my minor over there. It was amazing! Plus, you're so close to the other European countries, so we were able to do a lot of travel while we were there. Hope it works out for you to go with your school!

Home Sweet Home :up:

Wow that's so awesome you studied in Ireland :hyper:
I'm gonna go after I'm done with school. I want to have my degree first.

Home Sweet Home :up:

Wow that's so awesome you studied in Ireland :hyper:
I'm gonna go after I'm done with school. I want to have my degree first.

I haven't been home in over 2 weeks, so it's sooooo nice! :lol: I didn't realize how much I missed all my stuff, and just being at home. My parents place is nice, but it hasn't been my home in a long time.

Yeah, it was fun being in Ireland. :D I wasn't as much of a U2 fanatic as I am now, but we did go to the Clarence hotel, and spent a night at The Kitchen (their nightclub that I think is no longer there), and that was fun enough for us. :)

I haven't been home in over 2 weeks, so it's sooooo nice! :lol: I didn't realize how much I missed all my stuff, and just being at home. My parents place is nice, but it hasn't been my home in a long time.

Yeah, it was fun being in Ireland. :D I wasn't as much of a U2 fanatic as I am now, but we did go to the Clarence hotel, and spent a night at The Kitchen (their nightclub that I think is no longer there), and that was fun enough for us. :)

Trust me, I'll be going to ALL the U2 places when I'm there :D
*coughBono'sHousecough*

I'll be cheesy right now and say "home is where the heart is" :cute:
It's always nice coming home and sleeping in your own bed after a long vacation.

Trust me, I'll be going to ALL the U2 places when I'm there :D
*coughBono'sHousecough*

I'll be cheesy right now and say "home is where the heart is" :cute:
It's always nice coming home and sleeping in your own bed after a long vacation.

:lol: Well, don't get arrested for stalking, or whatever!

It really is. The beds I've slept on for the past few weeks have been pretty crappy or I slept on the floor, so I'm excited to be in my own bed tonight. :D

I don't have much food in the house (nothing fresh), and I really don't feel like going out to the grocery store. I'm debating whether to suck it up and go now, or just wait until tomorrow. Decisions, decisions!

Oh hai, kafforz! :kiss:

Hai, Sharon! :kiss: I'm going to install Skype soon, so expect fabulous conversation shortly.

Back
Top Bottom