The Temple Bar: Horton Does a Who...UP YOUR FUCKING ASS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
snowbunny00774 said:
I like white too, and blush. no reds for me...I always thought is was tannins (sp), I get those headaches too.

hmm could be either, I've always had migraines and was told to avoid sulfites and red wine has gives me a headache faster than banging my head against a wall. There are some sulfite free ones but sounds like that may not help

Here’s a toast to the good tidings that the occasional glass of wine is something of a health drink. May your favorite Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Pinot Noir keep your heart strong, your HDL cholesterol high, and, possibly, your brain cells active and well connected! Alas, for some, that toast would be a preamble to a throbbing headache, especially if the wine is red. The red wine headache is a real—if poorly understood—phenomenon.Here’s a toast to the good tidings that the occasional glass of wine is something of a health drink. May your favorite Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Pinot Noir keep your heart strong, your HDL cholesterol high, and, possibly, your brain cells active and well connected! Alas, for some, that toast would be a preamble to a throbbing headache, especially if the wine is red. The red wine headache is a real—if poorly understood—phenomenon.

The Sulfite Story

Sulfites are possibly to blame. They are compounds that contain sulfur and a less-than-optimal number of oxygen atoms. Consequently, they “grab” oxygen before it can react with food and spoil it. In wine, sulfites also control bacteria that might otherwise digest the alcohol content, turning a $50 bottle into some very expensive vinegar. Some sulfites are created naturally during fermentation, as the yeast breaks down sugars in the grape juice into alcohol and carbon dioxide. But wine makers often add more as a preservative.

Sulfites were once considered harmless, but in the 1980s, studies started to show that a small number of people (about 1%, according to the FDA) are sensitive to them. The FDA, therefore, prohibits the use of sulfites on fruit and vegetables intended to be eaten raw, so salad bars and your supermarket’s produce section should be sulfite-free. Depending on their concentration levels and other factors, the sulfite compounds must be included in a food’s list of ingredients. Most wines are emblazoned with a “contains sulfites” warning.

But many experts question whether sulfites are the source of red wine headaches for several reasons. First, breathing problems (including asthma attacks), not headaches, are the more typical reaction to sulfites. Second, red wine is typically the trigger, yet many sweet whites contain more sulfites than reds because they have a higher sugar content. Third, plenty of other foods contain sulfites, so these headaches shouldn’t be particular to red wine.

This doesn’t mean that sulfites in red wine can’t be a problem. For example, red wine has been known to trigger asthma attacks, presumably because of the sulfite content.

The Histamine Hypothesis

White wine is made using only the grape’s juice, or must. Red wines use the entire crushed fruit, including the skins, which contain the biologically active compound histamine. As a result, red wine contains 20–200 times more histamine than white wine.

Some people are histamine-intolerant because of a deficiency in diamine oxidase, an enzyme that breaks down histamine in the small intestine. Alcohol also inhibits the enzyme, so some experts believe that red wine headaches are caused by a combination of wine’s alcohol content and a diamine oxidase shortage. But this theory is contradicted by some studies. For example, a French study in the February 2001 Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology of 16 people with “wine intolerance” found no difference in reactions to low- and high-histamine wines. The researchers didn’t dismiss the possibility that histamine plays a role, but suggested that some other ingredient in red wine might boost levels of it in the blood.

The Tannins Tale

Tannins, another constituent of grape skins, give red wine its distinctive pleasant but slightly bitter flavor. They may also explain why red wine is so healthful, because they’re flavonoids, antioxidants found in plant-based food. But here’s proof that there’s no such thing as a free lunch: tannins may cause headaches. Several carefully controlled lab experiments have shown that they provoke blood platelets into releasing serotonin, and high serotonin levels can cause headaches.

Finally, for some people, it may simply be the alcohol. Alcohol, in any drink, is a well-known precipitant of migraine, and some of the headaches set off by wine are migraines.

What You Can Try

If you can tolerate some but not a lot of sulfites, you might try a brand that promises “no sulfites added,” though there are still going to be some from fermentation.

If tannins are the culprit, try a wine with a lower tannin level—Beaujolais instead of Cabernet Sauvignon, for example. Mature wines might be better than young, heavily alcoholic ones, especially if you avoid the sediment.

Some advise taking aspirin or ibuprofen beforehand, although there’s little published evidence that this works.

Histamine hypothesis proponents sometimes suggest a nonsedating antihistamine like Claritin.

Connoisseurs might consider keeping a record of their wine choices and any headaches to figure out which to avoid—and just hope that the wines causing a problem aren’t their favorites.

yeah, I found an article that said neither was 100% proven to be the culprit. lets just be glad we're not the alcohol allergic people :yikes:

So...I went to my boss today and told her if I was going to be working for her this summer she needed to give me a raise. It was only fair because I always come in when she needs me...I mean I even worked for her during spring break, right up til 20 minutes before I had to leave for the airport, LITERALLY. And I've been working there three years, she's got me working six days a week, and I need a car.

to all this she says:
I don't know how I can give you a raise without everyone else here getting upset

EVERYONE ELSE HERE HASN'T WORKED HERE FOR THREE YEARS!!!! THERE'S one PERSON that's worked there longer than me, and I know for a FACT that she makes a hell of a lot more than I do...

No, I've had a few raises, but my last one was before the summer last year, because I've been working on and off during the school year. After I told her that I needed a raise and she said she didnt' know if she could give me one, then I told her I was going to have to get a second job then...so she gets quiet for a few minutes (it was just the two of us working) and finally I go, "What? Are you mad at me now?" and she goes, "No, I'm trying to think of somewhere else I can get you a job."

Where's the :Zomgwhatthehellpassesout: smiley

It's hard for me to think about leaving because the two of them that own the store have been REALLY good to me as long as I've worked there...except for when it comes time to give me a raise...

bono_212 said:
It's hard for me to think about leaving because the two of them that own the store have been REALLY good to me as long as I've worked there...except for when it comes time to give me a raise...

I'd be really good to you if you worked with no raise right until you got on a plane back to school....

:hug:

fah, we never have any idea what goes on in here

See the thing that really got me started is that I wasn't supposed to work today....I was supposed to start Wednesday. they asked me when I could start, I said Wednesday. I did not say I'd be back in twon by Wednesday, I said I wanted to start working on Wednesday
so what happens when she finds out I get in town on Monday?
she calls me in on Tuesday. I've only told them no like twice the entire time I've worked there.
Chances are she'll give me a raise, but she'll have to give me a review then, and she's going to call me out on as many things as possible therefore only giving me like a ten cent raise.

:banghead:

Like I said, right now I'm mad so I'm only focusing on the bad, there's been way more good than bad, or I wouldn't have worked there as long as I have.

bono_212 said:
See the thing that really got me started is that I wasn't supposed to work today....I was supposed to start Wednesday. they asked me when I could start, I said Wednesday. I did not say I'd be back in twon by Wednesday, I said I wanted to start working on Wednesday
so what happens when she finds out I get in town on Monday?
she calls me in on Tuesday. I've only told them no like twice the entire time I've worked there.
Chances are she'll give me a raise, but she'll have to give me a review then, and she's going to call me out on as many things as possible therefore only giving me like a ten cent raise.

:banghead:

Like I said, right now I'm mad so I'm only focusing on the bad, there's been way more good than bad, or I wouldn't have worked there as long as I have.

:ohmy: :hug:

job loyalty is great but if you're not making what you could be somewhere else then maybe it's time to look elsewhere plus you'd get a wider range of experience for your resume. It's hard to leave a job you're comfortable with and with people you like but the long term is something to consider.

What do you want to do when you graduate? Could you be doing something related to that field?

Hey Kathie - what are you doing in the bar at this hour? Sweeping up? :wink:

Bet this thread will be closed by the time I awake :yawn:

signs-goodnight2.gif

redkat said:
job loyalty is great but if you're not making what you could be somewhere else then maybe it's time to look elsewhere plus you'd get a wider range of experience for your resume. It's hard to leave a job you're comfortable with and with people you like but the long term is something to consider.

What do you want to do when you graduate? Could you be doing something related to that field?

Sounds like my situation. I've been here four and a half years and just got a raise last summer. But, to be fair, it was a culmulation of how much I'd have gotten had I gotten a raise each year I've been here.

In MI's economy, one has to be grateful they even have a job. :slant:

^ :hug: and your doing everything right to protect yourself in that economy.

still think you should move though :wink:

anyone have any problems with the neighbours we need to know about several times?

I don't know, bono's neighbours fires are bothering his kid who has asthma. fair enough, that's crap, newsworthy though? and okay, even if it's newsworthy how much more detail do we need exactly? how much is enough really? the purchase agreement for the apt. that outlines no fires? then we can be angry at the neighbours for him I guess.

How come no one is it mad at my thieving neighbours?huh? :wink:

so I guess it all boils down to bono's not okay in this one.

well if we keep decriminalizing everything there'll be that much less for you to learn though, right? lol

snowbunny00774 said:
I don't know, bono's neighbours fires are bothering his kid who has asthma. fair enough, that's crap, newsworthy though? and okay, even if it's newsworthy how much more detail do we need exactly? how much is enough really? the purchase agreement for the apt. that outlines no fires? then we can be angry at the neighbours for him I guess.

How come no one is it mad at my thieving neighbours?huh? :wink:

so I guess it all boils down to bono's not okay in this one.

well if we keep decriminalizing everything there'll be that much less for you to learn though, right? lol

*goestolook*

The forum's gonna explode today cause Bono's not ok, isn't it? :sad:

I'll be mad at your theiving neighbours (practicing my spelling for when I live there now :wink: ).

Back
Top Bottom