The Temple Bar: Home of the UYMFA Gang ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved Lisey's Story. Enjoyed it a lot. Another of his books that are upper echelon for me is Needful Things - not one that you hear on a lot of favourites lists.

The Stand is upper, upper echelon.

VintagePunk said:
I loved Lisey's Story. Enjoyed it a lot. Another of his books that are upper echelon for me is Needful Things - not one that you hear on a lot of favourites lists.

The Stand is upper, upper echelon.

I liked Needful Things as well.

Maybe I'll check Lisey's Story out, since you both enjoyed it.

No spoken words said:

I liked the Green Mile, but not as much as the other titles. I never did read Shawshank, actually.

There are a few small differences in Shawshank, but the movie mostly stays very true to the story. If there's a better film adaptation of a story out there, I can't think of it at the moment.

the rockin edge said:

why?

do you think me incapable of reading? :angry:

and i didnt mean novels, i meant mainly history and travel stuff + some map books.

Just a joke.

Travel books are dangerous for me....if I go to that section, Tre, it's hard to break away.

VintagePunk said:

There are a few small differences in Shawshank, but the movie mostly stays very true to the story. If there's a better film adaptation of a story out there, I can't think of it at the moment.

Green Mile was pretty damned faithful to the source, right down to the actors they chose...they all looked the part.

Zootlesque said:

I think there is already a real life picture of that.. in an NYC bar. :wink:

Mia prolly has that GFY pic.

i sure do! i found it :D

dbsquarrel.jpg

phillyfan26 said:
The last book I read was "I Am America (And So Can You!)."

Sarah bought that when it first came out, and we've both read it. She's rereading the Jon Stewart one, America: The Book now.

If you like those kinds of books, you should check out Al Franken's books - Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot, and Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them. Both excellent, they make their point, but with a lot of humour and satire - both laugh out loud funny, had me in tears

His books suffer when being adapted for the screen though. They're either so long that they can't possibly be compressed into two hours without being butchered, or else they get made into mini-series, where they suffer from being edited down to fit network standards. His short stories do much better as films.

VintagePunk said:

Sarah bought that when it first came out, and we've both read it. She's rereading the Jon Stewart one, America: The Book now.

If you like those kinds of books, you should check out Al Franken's books - Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot, and Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them. Both excellent, they make their point, but with a lot of humour and satire - both laugh out loud funny, had me in tears

I'm hesitant: I'm like Stephen Colbert, I don't trust books. Unless they're written by him. Or me.

the rockin edge said:

you should do it.

less than 8 months to go for me, i apply for my australian working visa next month.

I can't just yet....I sort of a have a professional mission I am still in the middle of. When that's concluded, it could be my next move prior to shifting careers. We shall see.

VintagePunk said:

I have the Colbert book, and started reading it, but just haven't found the time to finish it. I was on the chapter about sex :flirt: Maybe I'll have to pick it up again :hmm:

I have a Franken book, but another one I started reading and never could finish. I'm just not a reader :shrug: :reject:

unico - LMAO!!!

DOL, have you ever watched The Stand. The "special effects" were poor, but, the rest of it was pretty well done....Rob Lowe and Gary Sinise, amongst others, do a good job. Sinise is great, actually.

I'm mad at Stephen Colbert. He stole my damn birthday. I don't care if he's decades older than me, he still stole it :angry: And so did that damn mermaid pre-cog in the Electrical Storm video.

Back
Top Bottom