The Temple Bar: Home of the UYMFA Gang ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

I think there is already a real life picture of that.. in an NYC bar. :wink:

Mia prolly has that GFY pic.

I think it would be interesting in smiley form too.

No spoken words said:
Yes. I liked the first 2 books a lot, then liked it progressively less and less as I went along...I'm not sure why.
I had trouble getting into the first book the first time I read the it, but liked it a lot more when I reread it after completing the series. It helped that he revised parts of it to make it consistant with the series ending. And while I really liked the second book the first time I read it... I liked it less the second time around. Eventually I was like "oh my god, how much longer are they going to walk across the fucking beach with Detta screaming her head off?!" because it felt like that was basically the whole book.

I love the series as a whole, but it's not perfect. Wizard and Glass was so frustrating to read the first time, because there's so much backstory, and while it was interesting (and far more enjoyable upon rereading) I really just wanted to get back to the ka-tet and see what was going to happen to them next, rather than all the Roland/Susan OTP! stuff.

The series really gets weird toward the end, when King basically smashes the fourth wall (metafiction might be a better term for that) and the ending really, really, really pissed me off. I was so mad when I finished the series that I wanted to write an angry letter to King and chew him out for cheating me out of any real conclusion.

God, I am a nerd with no life :sad:

phillyfan26 said:
You need to make a smilie of NSW and Beav banter.

new_smilies_35.gif

angry-punchingbag.gif

tool.gif

icon_argue.gif

Just a few I had saved. Don't know if they'll do. I'll keep looking

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I had trouble getting into the first book the first time I read the it, but liked it a lot more when I reread it after completing the series. It helped that he revised parts of it to make it consistant with the series ending. And while I really liked the second book the first time I read it... I liked it less the second time around. Eventually I was like "oh my god, how much longer are they going to walk across the fucking beach with Detta screaming her head off?!" because it felt like that was basically the whole book.

I love the series as a whole, but it's not perfect. Wizard and Glass was so frustrating to read the first time, because there's so much backstory, and while it was interesting (and far more enjoyable upon rereading) I really just wanted to get back to the ka-tet and see what was going to happen to them next, rather than all the Roland/Susan OTP! stuff.

The series really gets weird toward the end, when King basically smashes the fourth wall (metafiction might be a better term for that) and the ending really, really, really pissed me off. I was so mad when I finished the series that I wanted to write an angry letter to King and chew him out for cheating me out of any real conclusion.

God, I am a nerd with no life :sad:

You're a nerd that likes to read. Which means you have some company in this thread. I agree with most of what you said above. I liked Blaine the best, to be honest. :) No, The Stand and It are my 2 favorites, and then there is a drop-off...the next wave might include The Dark Half, The Shining, The Dead Zone and a few of his short stories (Langoliers).

phillyfan26 said:

Legally, I am required to inform you "no."

well, legally so would i be. fuck that bullshit.

my friend has some rum, vodka, jaeger, schnapps and lots of beer. choice baby, choice. :yes:

my plan, get off work at 7, start drinking by 8, build a big ass bonfire, pass out around 2 or 3.

Last edited:
the rockin edge said:

we, legally so would i be. fuck that bullshit.

my friend has some rum, vodka, jaeger, schnapps and lots of beer. choice baby, choice. :yes:

my plan, get off work at 7, start drinking by 8, build a big ass bonfire, pass out around 2 or 3.

Good.

There's many thoughts being tossed around at this point. Nothing confirmed.

No spoken words said:
You're a nerd that likes to read. Which means you have some company in this thread. I agree with most of what you said above. I liked Blaine the best, to be honest. :) No, The Stand and It are my 2 favorites, and then there is a drop-off...the next wave might include The Dark Half, The Shining, The Dead Zone and a few of his short stories (Langoliers).
Have you read Lisey's Story? I read it before starting IT. It's pretty good. As I recall, King said that he thinks it's his best novel yet, though that could just be his own version of Bono hyperbole.

I'd recommend it :) Although be forewarned, once the dust jacket is off, the cover underneath looks nothing like a King book should. It's all covered with purple and pink flowers, and looks more like a romance novel aimed at teenage girls :wink:

No spoken words said:

No The Green Mile? No Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption? :ohmy:

I agree, The Langoliers was very creepy.

Back
Top Bottom