The Temple Bar - Hoegaarden FTW & UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to love TWOP too, but haven't been in a long time. I don't think I have very many posts in the forums, but it was too much to keep up with.

phillyfan26 said:
How does the moderating of this board compare to others?

Compared to some of the sites I've visited over the years, they're less control-freaky here, which is nice.

Honestly, with a few exceptions, I think they do a good job here. Yeah, they miss stuff, and maybe sometimes come down harder on certain people, but they're just people too, you know? I think they do fine.

I try to remember that not everyone wants to sit around and snark all day, and while I can't really relate to those kinds of people (I usually come around to snark around with like-minded folks), I understand why the mods might feel the need to settle shit down, but I think usually they come around when it's appropriate they do so.

I remember getting a warning on Fametracker because I broke a cardinal rule of using netspeak for the purpose of humor. Never gotten warned before, never did anything naughty.

Then one day in a thread about the Phantom of the Opera flick, I busted out with an old board in-joke dating back to the Buffy/Angel days: (OMG! CHRISTINE + ANGLE OF MUSIC 4EVAH!!!!!11!!eleven) and got a slap on the wrist from a mod (Veep - it was WingChung, which shouldn't be a surprise) saying "You know better."

I almost emailed her back with a "Oh, fuck off," but didn't. Because I'm a good girl.

You couldn't even start a post with "Um ..." because it read as a snotty remark, even if you used it to start off an actual question.

Last edited:
Ha! You think you get scolded here for starting shit (perceived or not)? They were seriously hard-ass about that kind of thing on TWOP/Fametracker. You wouldn't have lasted a day. :wink:

corianderstem said:
I stopped going to TWOP a few years ago, but I used to love it. I stopped reading the forums because yeah, like you said. Then I kept up with the recaps of shows I liked, but then they stopped being funny and started being too mean. And just people writing because they liked the sound of their own typing.

I think I popped by recently to check out a recap for a show I'd forgotten to watch, and was so turned off by the new format of the site, I didn't bother.

I completely agree with the change of format statement. And all the good, funny recappers of the past seem to have moved on to bigger and better things. Most of the forums that I read are not in the main section of the shows they cover, I read mostly shows that are in the Other Shows section. I think sometimes that because they're not in the main group of shows, those threads aren't quite as heavily moderated. TV Potluck has some pretty funny threads.

Pfan, I find the moderating here pretty fair, and not nearly as heavy-handed as some sites, thank goodness. They let people have fun without it turning into chaos. There is the odd time that I find it kind of arbitrary the way they choose which threads to lock and when, but overall, I think they do a great job here.

corianderstem said:

Compared to some of the sites I've visited over the years, they're less control-freaky here, which is nice.

Honestly, with a few exceptions, I think they do a good job here. Yeah, they miss stuff, and maybe sometimes come down harder on certain people, but they're just people too, you know? I think they do fine.

I try to remember that not everyone wants to sit around and snark all day, and while I can't really relate to those kinds of people (I usually come around to snark around with like-minded folks), I understand why the mods might feel the need to settle shit down, but I think usually they come around when it's appropriate they do so.

I remember getting a warning on Fametracker because I broke a cardinal rule of using netspeak for the purpose of humor. Never gotten warned before, never did anything naughty.

Then one day in a thread about the Phantom of the Opera flick, I busted out with an old board in-joke dating back to the Buffy/Angel days: (OMG! CHRISTINE + ANGLE OF MUSIC 4EVAH!!!!!11!!eleven) and got a slap on the wrist from a mod (Veep - it was WingChung, which shouldn't be a surprise) saying "You know better."

I almost emailed her back with a "Oh, fuck off," but didn't. Because I'm a good girl.

You couldn't even start a post with "Um ..." because it read as a snotty remark, even if you used it to start off an actual question.

Haha, Wing Chung. One day I got all stalkery and read her blog (can't remember where it was, but one of the sites linked to it). Her and Glark are from Toronto, so I have this weird home-girl attachment to them.

As MMG/BM would say: :huh: :| :eyebrow: :laugh:

VintagePunk said:

Haha, Wing Chung. One day I got all stalkery and read her blog (can't remember where it was, but one of the sites linked to it). Her and Glark are from Toronto, so I have this weird home-girl attachment to them.

As MMG/BM would say: :huh: :| :eyebrow: :laugh:

:lol: My old roomie was from TO, and she had her blog bookmarked on my computer. I read it once or twice, I think.

God, I am SO FARKING BORED. It's been way too quiet around here. Not that I want a shit-storm of work to rain down upon me, but this is ridiculous.

No spoken words said:
We used to go to TWOP now and then out of professional curiosity.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of people in the industry do.

Aaron Sorkin's posts on that site are legendary.

One of my fondest memories is of the Joe Schmoe thread, where the show creator would come on and ask what we thought of the episodes, answer questions and tell us insider info.

Cori, didn't that one Buffy writer, Drew Whathisname post there, or am I thinking of something else?

Eta - Goddard. Drew Goddard.

Spot on!

:up:

That's the problem with places where the snark flows heavily - some people come up with some great snark, but then they get a big head and think everything they say is worthy of 500 lol's posted in response.

I hate the word snark, and I also don't want to make TV for people whose focus is snark. That's why shows like The Wire are so astounding to me....no bullshit, no pandering, no lowest common demoninator stuff, just intelligent writing...not witty, intelligent.....with no worry at all about demographics, psychographics, ratings, shares, etc.....they're just telling the story they have to tell, and HBO lets them do it.

That all being said, I can be pretty snarky. :)

I'm not sure I know of TV that's made for people whose focus is snark.

People will snark on anything.

I thought that stuff was made because it's what people want to watch, and people these days will apparently watch anything.

I guess I didn't understand your statement, then - I thought you were talking about TV made SOLELY for snark.

The VH1 stuff, I'd say that was made solely for ratings.

Back
Top Bottom