The Temple Bar - Dalton and the Rescue Pet Team ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unico said:

We'll certainly see. I've just become completely uninterested. Perhaps because I don't see the big change or progress that people are getting excited about. These candidates are lukewarm and neither of their policies seem to move us towards the change I want to see. I just feel jaded and detached. I think things just aren't moving at the rate I want them to. I should be excited because any change is good change, but at the same time I'm just so frustrated with how behind the times this place really is in comparison to other developing nations. Meh. :shrug:

Yeah, after '04, I'm kinda like "damn you, US, you're not going to suck me in and break my heart again." :madwife:

I think it's absolutely wonderful how people are getting behind Obama, the interest he's generating and all, but like you, I feel jaded, and can't see him prompting the vast change that people are hoping for. Even if he has good intentions, once he gets in, he still has to work from within the system.

VintagePunk said:

Yeah, after '04, I'm kinda like "damn you, US, you're not going to suck me in and break my heart again." :madwife:

I think it's absolutely wonderful how people are getting behind Obama, the interest he's generating and all, but like you, I feel jaded, and can't see him prompting the vast change that people are hoping for. Even if he has good intentions, once he gets in, he still has to work from within the system.

precisely! how about changes to the system? how about booting the electoral college and nafta for starters. man could you imagine how many problems that would solve?

VintagePunk said:

My one real contribution, and, I am reticent to talk politics, as you may have figured out. And, of course, this will be nothing too insightful or whatnot, but whatever....

To me, the system is so very fucking broken, not flawed, just broken, that it's hard for me to get my hopes up. I'm very proud that Obama and Hillary are the two left standing, and that one of them is going to represent the Democratic party in the coming Election. That's progress. But until interest groups and major corporations and such lose some of their sway, I hold no real true hope for significant change. I sure as fuck hope it happens in my lifetime, but I aint holding my breath.

I love government, hate politics. :)

my undergrad is polisci. but various factors led me away from that field. it's crazy because you go in wanting to make a difference, and in college they feed that idealism. then you apply for jobs and reality sinks in.

VintagePunk said:
NSW, Mia :up:

See? That's why I'm more comfortable discussing it in here. The climate is much more reasonable.

i don't blame ya. i've minimized my posts in FYM since the election began. i try to pop in with different topics but not many people seem to care.

My interest has been sparked and I intend to be politically active, somewhat (certainly no U2Dem, making campaign calls and whatnot - that's dedication I can't put forth :) ).

I realize that it's mostly bullshit in the end, but I think it's interesting and important.

phillyfan26 said:
My interest has been sparked and I intend to be politically active, somewhat

I've always wanted to be, but honestly, no candidate has ever inspired enough passion in me to make me actually get off my ass and do anything about it.

Canadian politics tend to be painfully dull.

phillyfan26 said:
My interest has been sparked and I intend to be politically active, somewhat (certainly no U2Dem, making campaign calls and whatnot - that's dedication I can't put forth :) ).

I realize that it's mostly bullshit in the end, but I think it's interesting and important.

staying active is key. it is only through the activity that we can eventually get to where i'd want us to be. despite my frustrations with this election i've stayed pretty active on issues themselves. if i don't then i shouldn't be complaining about anything.

I don't know what exactly I'm going to "do about it" other than supporting and debating for the nominee.

VintagePunk said:

Canadian politics tend to be painfully dull.

To expand on that thought, I'd like to add that I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. The US media just tends to sensationalize things so much, and up here, we don't have that happening to such a huge degree.

Hell, we have the most conservative Prime Minister now that we've had in decades, and despite the gloom and doom prognosis regarding his win, he hasn't been that bad. He's completely left social issues alone, which is good.

Mind you, up here, a conservative PM would probably be on the left side, for you guys.

I also want to add, that no one candidate will ever bring drastic change. No one can. It's just not possible, it's not how our government was set up.

However, if one person can begin the process of change, it is Obama.

So I looked out my window this morning and there's a blizzard going on. We've had more snow so far this winter than I've ever seen, and it doesn't look like it's going to end soon.

I would like to punch whoever coined the phrase "global warming" in the face. :sigh: :angry:

AlGorePwned.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom