The Temple Bar: Booze & action... UYFA! - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #466
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 01:44 AM
2GB is better, so if the money doesn't bother you, I'd do it. And $99 sounds reasonable.

I don't know about the high performance option though. SOunds like a waste to me. I know a lot of that stuff is geared towards games and high end stuff.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #467
Blue Crack Distributor

I wish I had a laptop, so tonight when I'm curled up on the couch I can write my essay then zonk out without having to move a muscle.

I just know I'm going to do something stupid today.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #468
Blue Crack Distributor

And since we're having this frank discussion this morning, I'd like to say that regarding the song Hallelujah, the versions of it I like best are, in order:

1) Rufus Wainwright
2) Leonard Cohen's original
3) Jeff Buckley
Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #469

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
And since we're having this frank discussion this morning, I'd like to say that regarding the song Hallelujah, the versions of it I like best are, in order:

1) Rufus Wainwright
3) Jeff Buckley
I've never heard the Rufus version, so I'll check that out, but right now I like the Buckley version more than the Cohen version insofar as it's more emotional and raw. I think I might prefer the Cohen's version lyrics though.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #470
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
yeah...the stuff for games is not anything I need so I don't think I need the upgraded video card thing either.

Stupid as in with a phone? am I going to have to confiscate it from you?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #471
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe I'm cynical, but I tend to think that Buckley is suffering from the dead artist syndrome, where they tend to be elevated way beyond the status they'd have if they were alive, ala Lennon and Cobain.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #472

Quote:
Maybe I'm cynical, but I tend to think that Buckley is suffering from the dead artist syndrome, where they tend to be elevated way beyond the status they'd have if they were alive, ala Lennon and Cobain.
I think overall, yeah. First time I heard Grace I thought it was brilliant, but after a few listens it's been downgraded to "really friggin good." But Hallelujah, I think, is brilliant. Definitely the stand out on Grace.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

1) Rufus Wainwright
3) Jeff Buckley

*SHUDDER*

I'm sorry, I still have that reaction to Hallelujah, esp when Jeff Buckley is mentioned... This stems from a Jeff Buckley tribute weekend that I went to (which is still an annual event but this was the first) because there were a bunch of artists performing that I wanted to see, unfortunately spread out over the three days (it went Thurs-Sat). It was by far the worst ever weekend of music I've ever had in TO.

Now to set this up, I have to say that Tory Cassis used to do a Tom Waits tribute night (note the difference at the beginning - Waits with a much longer career has a night, Buckley got three days) that was one of the best organized tributes I've ever seen. Each artist gets one song at a time (though some got a second in the second set) and THERE ARE NO REPEATS.

For that Jeff Buckley tribute weekend, over the three days (not exaggerating, I kept track when things started repeating) I heard Hallelujah SEVEN TIMES (three times by one artist who started off all three nights *shudder*, and her own music was worse - avoid Mary Simon), and various other songs repeated as well. Not to mention each artist not only got to do a Jeff Buckley song, but one or more of their own as well, which kind of defeats the purpose of a tribute night in my mind.

This also is the origin of the absolute loathing I have for Three Days Grace *SHUDDER* Not only did they do a repeat of a song done at least twice before, but the lead singer did two songs solo (bad songs to boot) before saying "And now I'm going to bring up my band" and proceeding to suck even more.

Ever since that weekend, my friend Leanne and I have referred to Hallelujah as "The Song Which Shall Not Be Named" - no reflection on Cohen, just the unfortunate result of three nights of musical torture

Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #474
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

1) Rufus Wainwright
3) Jeff Buckley
I your new sig.

For me, it's 3, 1, 2.

Quote:
Stupid as in with a phone? am I going to have to confiscate it from you?
Yes.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #475

OK, here's my new least favorite version, Sheryl Crow. Can someone stop this woman from doing covers? Why does she have a career?

<---especially this one.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #476
ONE
love, blood, life

I have no idea what you are all talking about. I know the names and stuff but I'm really going to have to work on my musical ignorance so I can engage in these discourses too

hand over the phone I hate to do this to you

I heard that Carrie Underwood song yesterday for the first time and I liked it

<----- no taste
Old 06-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #477
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
OK, here's my new least favorite version, Sheryl Crow. Can someone stop this woman from doing covers? Why does she have a career?

<---especially this one.
Why the fuck is that woman still allowed a career? I admit, I liked her up until that Soak Up The Sun song, she's gone completely downhill since.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
I have no idea what you are all talking about. I know the names and stuff but I'm really going to have to work on my musical ignorance so I can engage in these discourses too

hand over the phone I hate to do this to you

I heard that Carrie Underwood song yesterday for the first time and I liked it

<----- no taste
Nooooooooooooooooo, it's my phone and you can't have it. :tantrum:

Ok, here. *throwsitover* I think it's better this way.

When I was over my mom's last night she wanted me to listen to it and said, "oh, you'll like it, trust me" and then I kinda did.

I should listen to that again and remember why I don't need to be stupid with the phone. White trash Shania singing and fruity drink having women are more up his alley. :hmrph:
Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #478
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Why the fuck is that woman still allowed a career? I admit, I liked her up until that Soak Up The Sun song, she's gone completely downhill since.

Nooooooooooooooooo, it's my phone and you can't have it. :tantrum:

Ok, here. *throwsitover* I think it's better this way.

When I was over my mom's last night she wanted me to listen to it and said, "oh, you'll like it, trust me" and then I kinda did.

I should listen to that again and remember why I don't need to be stupid with the phone. White trash Shania singing and fruity drink having women are more up his alley. :hmrph:
yeah - and she's paying taxes in Switzerland - they can have her, we don't want her back.

You just know she's going to be a bleach blonde tramp

I loved the bits about the car - Carrie Underwood seemed very lame to me so I got a kick out of hearing her singing that!!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #479
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774

yeah - and she's paying taxes in Switzerland - they can have her, we don't want her back.

You just know she's going to be a bleach blonde tramp

I loved the bits about the car - Carrie Underwood seemed very lame to me so I got a kick out of hearing her singing that!!

I love it, too. If only it had said "beat up pickup that you're afraid to drive outside of town cause it's falling apart" instead.

My mom knows I'm all bitter and stuff lately so she was spot on when she said I'd love it. I knew of the song but like you, just heard it for the first time last night.

Beach blonde tramp who rides dirtbikes, mind you.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #480

The Puppy Man Affair really has this place up in arms. Protests and shit. lolz.