The Temple Bar: Booze & action... UYFA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear your throat is still a mess lmpa. Should you get antibiotics do you think?

ATTENTION: IF YOU ARE BORED I NEED LAPTOP HELP

If anyone has 5 minutes to look at some things I'd appreciate it :bow: and owe you big time.

I don't feel like putting a thread in vorsjdolajd

So I wrecked my laptop again over the weekend and want to just get another one. I don't need one with extraordinary powers or anything, can someone take a look in these flyers and just give me an idea what would be a good one and then I can start comparing from there. Or is there anything I really don't want to be a looking at etc. I hate this stuff....I just need to be pointed in the right direction or told this is what you need, I'm always lost when I start out looking at this stuff and avoid it as long as possible. I need an electronics shopper / blah

http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/weekly_flyer/en/default.asp?logon=&langid=EN

http://www.bestbuy.ca/marketing/promoPC/default.asp?PCName=laptop_onsale&logon=&langid=EN

Those two are really the same company so I'm not sure if there is much a of difference

http://www.mdg.ca/

Anything else I should look at?

Laptops - can you get a Mac? :drool: Do you need it for work, like Excel and all that? What do you use it for? Just interland and pr0n? Aside from a webcam what do you NEED to have? What are you looking to spend?

UberBeaver said:
Laptops - can you get a Mac? :drool: Do you need it for work, like Excel and all that? What do you use it for? Just interland and pr0n? Aside from a webcam what do you NEED to have? What are you looking to spend?

yes beav, mostly interland and pr0n. some excel, when I can tear myself away from gigagalleries and have to do some work. Now that I have instructions I'll get a webcam, I'd like to have a dvd burner, I just never got around to that before. I don't need games or anything, but a decent screen for watching movies (and April and Reg). pretty much the same needs as you. I've never had a mac - would I have to learn stuff? is it easy to use? if I have a million questions will you be willing to answer to answer them so I don't have to scream at the support people?:(

http://www.mdg.ca/en/products/notebooks/horizonbook/

From what I can tell, the middle one would be fine. You might need to get Office though. There's an option below to upgrade to it somewhere in there.

It has a DVD burner, 1gb RAM is fine I think. Price seems ok to me. Reg would probably be more helpful. If you're like me, all those weird features are meaningless and a waste of money. :shrug: I don't know what most of that stuff means.

Macs are cool, but I don't really knowhow to use all the features, so most of them just sit there. It's great for pictures and video ( :drool: ) though. Works awesome with digital cameras and all that jazz. Also, MACs have webcams built right in. I think they tend to be a bit pricier. But yes, they're pretty easy to use. It takes a little while cause they're different than Windows, but once you figure out how the programs work, I think it's easier. You can buy excel for them as well.

Thank you!! If anyone has any other points/advice I'd appreciate it. I think I'll have to read the vista thread...you have a choice of that or XP and I have no idea. Do you think I would ever need 2mb ($99) ? Is 15.4 big enough for a screen? Do I need reg 1GB or 1GB high performance($79) you know basically I'm just asking all the options that you can customize it with...Maybe if Reg has a few minutes he can click through them and tell me which ones to opt for and which ones I won't need. I just always assume taking the upgrade options are better, but that just makes me the perfect customer :mad:

2GB is better, so if the money doesn't bother you, I'd do it. And $99 sounds reasonable.

I don't know about the high performance option though. SOunds like a waste to me. I know a lot of that stuff is geared towards games and high end stuff.

And since we're having this frank discussion this morning, I'd like to say that regarding the song Hallelujah, the versions of it I like best are, in order:

1) Rufus Wainwright
2) Leonard Cohen's original
3) Jeff Buckley

VintagePunk said:
And since we're having this frank discussion this morning, I'd like to say that regarding the song Hallelujah, the versions of it I like best are, in order:

1) Rufus Wainwright
3) Jeff Buckley

I've never heard the Rufus version, so I'll check that out, but right now I like the Buckley version more than the Cohen version insofar as it's more emotional and raw. I think I might prefer the Cohen's version lyrics though.

yeah...the stuff for games is not anything I need so I don't think I need the upgraded video card thing either.

Stupid as in with a phone? am I going to have to confiscate it from you?

Maybe I'm cynical, but I tend to think that Buckley is suffering from the dead artist syndrome, where they tend to be elevated way beyond the status they'd have if they were alive, ala Lennon and Cobain.

VintagePunk said:
Maybe I'm cynical, but I tend to think that Buckley is suffering from the dead artist syndrome, where they tend to be elevated way beyond the status they'd have if they were alive, ala Lennon and Cobain.

I think overall, yeah. First time I heard Grace I thought it was brilliant, but after a few listens it's been downgraded to "really friggin good." But Hallelujah, I think, is brilliant. Definitely the stand out on Grace.

VintagePunk said:

1) Rufus Wainwright
3) Jeff Buckley

*SHUDDER*

I'm sorry, I still have that reaction to Hallelujah, esp when Jeff Buckley is mentioned... This stems from a Jeff Buckley tribute weekend that I went to (which is still an annual event but this was the first) because there were a bunch of artists performing that I wanted to see, unfortunately spread out over the three days (it went Thurs-Sat). It was by far the worst ever weekend of music I've ever had in TO.

Now to set this up, I have to say that Tory Cassis used to do a Tom Waits tribute night (note the difference at the beginning - Waits with a much longer career has a night, Buckley got three days) that was one of the best organized tributes I've ever seen. Each artist gets one song at a time (though some got a second in the second set) and THERE ARE NO REPEATS.

For that Jeff Buckley tribute weekend, over the three days (not exaggerating, I kept track when things started repeating) I heard Hallelujah SEVEN TIMES (three times by one artist who started off all three nights *shudder*, and her own music was worse - avoid Mary Simon), and various other songs repeated as well. Not to mention each artist not only got to do a Jeff Buckley song, but one or more of their own as well, which kind of defeats the purpose of a tribute night in my mind.

This also is the origin of the absolute loathing I have for Three Days Grace *SHUDDER* Not only did they do a repeat of a song done at least twice before, but the lead singer did two songs solo (bad songs to boot) before saying "And now I'm going to bring up my band" and proceeding to suck even more.

Ever since that weekend, my friend Leanne and I have referred to Hallelujah as "The Song Which Shall Not Be Named" - no reflection on Cohen, just the unfortunate result of three nights of musical torture :wink:

VintagePunk said:

1) Rufus Wainwright
3) Jeff Buckley

I :heart: your new sig.

For me, it's 3, 1, 2. :shifty:

Stupid as in with a phone? am I going to have to confiscate it from you?

Yes. :sad:

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are all talking about. I know the names and stuff but I'm really going to have to work on my musical ignorance so I can engage in these discourses too :grumpy:

hand over the phone :sad: I hate to do this to you :(

I heard that Carrie Underwood song yesterday for the first time and I liked it :reject:

<----- no taste

UberBeaver said:
OK, here's my new least favorite version, Sheryl Crow. Can someone stop this woman from doing covers? Why does she have a career?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWDfH51gvc0&mode=related&search=

Rufus version is allright, but I still like the Buckely version better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQUdHMFpBQ&mode=related&search= <---especially this one.

Why the fuck is that woman still allowed a career? I admit, I liked her up until that Soak Up The Sun song, she's gone completely downhill since. :down:

snowbunny00774 said:
I have no idea what you are all talking about. I know the names and stuff but I'm really going to have to work on my musical ignorance so I can engage in these discourses too :grumpy:

hand over the phone :sad: I hate to do this to you :(

I heard that Carrie Underwood song yesterday for the first time and I liked it :reject:

<----- no taste

Nooooooooooooooooo, it's my phone and you can't have it. :tantrum:

Ok, here. *throwsitover* I think it's better this way.

When I was over my mom's last night she wanted me to listen to it and said, "oh, you'll like it, trust me" and then I kinda did. :help:

I should listen to that again and remember why I don't need to be stupid with the phone. White trash Shania singing and fruity drink having women are more up his alley. :hmrph:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Why the fuck is that woman still allowed a career? I admit, I liked her up until that Soak Up The Sun song, she's gone completely downhill since. :down:

Nooooooooooooooooo, it's my phone and you can't have it. :tantrum:

Ok, here. *throwsitover* I think it's better this way.

When I was over my mom's last night she wanted me to listen to it and said, "oh, you'll like it, trust me" and then I kinda did. :help:

I should listen to that again and remember why I don't need to be stupid with the phone. White trash Shania singing and fruity drink having women are more up his alley. :hmrph:

yeah - and she's paying taxes in Switzerland - they can have her, we don't want her back.

You just know she's going to be a bleach blonde tramp :tsk:

I loved the bits about the car - Carrie Underwood seemed very lame to me so I got a kick out of hearing her singing that!!

snowbunny00774 said:

yeah - and she's paying taxes in Switzerland - they can have her, we don't want her back.

You just know she's going to be a bleach blonde tramp :tsk:

I loved the bits about the car - Carrie Underwood seemed very lame to me so I got a kick out of hearing her singing that!!

I love it, too. If only it had said "beat up pickup that you're afraid to drive outside of town cause it's falling apart" instead. :love:

My mom knows I'm all bitter and stuff lately so she was spot on when she said I'd love it. I knew of the song but like you, just heard it for the first time last night.

Beach blonde tramp who rides dirtbikes, mind you. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom