The Temple Bar ~ Bono has "special" powers - honest!.....UYMFA!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you guys think of the smilies right now.
I put all the ones I think are the best/most popular up before you click for more.

Or am I going to be sorry I asked :angry:

Awesome! :hi5:

Although, I know all the codes for the ones I use most often, so it doesn't really matter all that much to me. :shrug:

Wait...are y'all saying there are countries other than the US in the Olympics?? :shocked: NO WAY!!!

What y'all miss out on is all the NBC-related cable networks that carry events live throughout the day. Of course prime time they focus on the main events, but MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, Telemundo, and others carry other events, even if they're not focused on US atheletes. :up:

Wait...are y'all saying there are countries other than the US in the Olympics?? :shocked: NO WAY!!!

What y'all miss out on is all the NBC-related cable networks that carry events live throughout the day. Of course prime time they focus on the main events, but MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, Telemundo, and others carry other events, even if they're not focused on US atheletes. :up:

So, what you're saying is that NBC couldn't be bothered showing other countries on the main network, which has by far the farthest reach and most visibility? Nice.

Although, I know all the codes for the ones I use most often, so it doesn't really matter all that much to me. :shrug:

Same here. But sometimes it's just easier to click on it, especially if it's something I'll use often like drool... instead of typing out those letters. lol.

During the 2002 Winter Olympics I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and I watched some of the coverage on NBC. I remember saying: are there even any other countries participating? Luckily, I made it home in time for the Canada-USA hockey final, which I, of course, watched on CBC.

Moreover, CBC's coverage is actually live, whereas NBC, for the most part, will show taped-events in prime-time. :down:

:yes: Actually the 2002 Winter Olympics were my experience with NBC's coverage as well :lol: I couldn't imagine having to watch a Canada-USA gold medal game in the States - glad you were spared that :shudder: :lol:

Bingo.

Most Joe/Jill Schmoes don't give a rat's ass about some kid from Ecuador who struggled all his life to swim in the Olympics. :shrug:

So are you saying most Americans watching the Olympics don't care about contestants from other countries and that NBC has to cater to what is popular? :scratch:

No it's nothing new but isn't it bad when people don't care about anybody else but their own country? lol.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just stating the truth. Americans are ethnocentric and care more about our own atheletes. Sometimes a compelling story will break through of an athelete from another country, but more often than not we just :heart: ourselves too much :shrug:

No it's nothing new but isn't it bad when people don't care about anybody else but their own country? lol.

Yes, it sucks, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Unfortunately this is one of the problems with living in America. Even those of us who were born here get a bit tired of it at times. Or, all the time.

It pretty much boils down to most Americans sincerely believing that our country is superior in every way over all other nations, and that everyone else is just a wannabe. "You're either with us or against us."

Maybe once we get out of the governing of a cowboy as our President we might see a shift in mindset, particularly with an Obama presidency.

Yes, it sucks, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Unfortunately this is one of the problems with living in America. Even those of us who were born here get a bit tired of it at times. Or, all the time.

Well I guess it can be a good and bad thing. You have to be proud of your own country! Who else is gonna be proud of it? But stuff like calling the national baseball tournament as World Series gets on my nerves. :shifty::wink: I love living here and I think Americans are awesome, very friendly and welcoming but the "America is the only thing that matters / We are the World" mentality that many have here gets tiring. :slant:

Looks like I'm going out for lunch. It's been so quiet today, which is understandable because of the cloud of impending doom :sigh: but I feel like telling everyone whatever is going to happen, is going to happen and you can't make yourself sick worrying. Believe me, I'm nervous, too, but I refuse to make myself sick.

Looks like I'm going out for lunch. It's been so quiet today, which is understandable because of the cloud of impending doom :sigh: but I feel like telling everyone whatever is going to happen, is going to happen and you can't make yourself sick worrying. Believe me, I'm nervous, too, but I refuse to make myself sick.

What are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom