The Talking Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
So I bought an Talking Heads album the other day, the one with Once in a Lifetime. Honestly, I found it awful. Did I just pick a bad album, or do I just need to listen to it again (not sure I can)? Do they have stuff that's better that I should check out?

I was expecting them to sound more like Television with that 70s NYC Sound, but....nope. It was like bad Velvet Underground or something.

Yes, you picked Remain in Light...and it is far and away their best studio LP. Everything up to and including Speaking in Tongues is marvelous, and both Little Creatures and True Stories have rock-solid and surprisingly earnest pop songs.

Naked, on the other hand, is something with which most U2 fans should be familiar--a Steve Lillywhite-produced clusterfuck.

Can't get into it either. There's a lot of shit happening in every song, and I've never been a fan of the vocals.

The Television-y Talking Heads record would be their debut - '77, which is much more palatable.

Canadiens1160 said:
Can't get into it either. There's a lot of shit happening in every song, and I've never been a fan of the vocals.

The Television-y Talking Heads record would be their debut - '77, which is much more palatable.

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks.

Remain in Light is far and away their best LP and one of my all time favorite albums. Talking Heads are a bit of an acquired taste though for sure.

Start with the Once In A Lifetime (Greatest Hits) album. It's a great intro to TH as it has (I reckon) the better versions of a couple of songs. Or, get yourself a copy of the Stop Making Sense DVD and really treat yourself to one of the best tightarse budget concerts you will ever clap eyeballs on. It will also educate you on what the deal with them is. It's not all music with them, it's not even art. They're just brilliant.
:drool:

Last time I went out for karaoke, some guy got up and sang Life During Wartime.

I was happy as a clam and congratulated him on his awesome taste.

Then I got up and sang Xanadu. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Last time I went out for karaoke, some guy got up and sang Life During Wartime.

I was happy as a clam and congratulated him on his awesome taste.

Then I got up and sang Xanadu. :wink:

Then I would have gotten up and congratulated you :wink:.

A place, where nobody dared to go . . .:whistle:

Re: Talking Heads - "Girlfriend is Better" and "Slippery People" from Stop Making Sense are both awesome :up:

kellyahern said:
A place, where nobody dared to go . . .:whistle:

My people! :wink:

Stop Making Sense is the only Talking Heads album I own at the moment. I'm okay with that, because it's so awesome.

Lancemc said:
Talking Heads are a bit of an acquired taste though for sure.

I don't know about that. I pretty much fell in love with them the first time I heard them. I can't even think of a song of theirs I don't like (I suppose that may be because I never listened to Naked - I think I was scared off it since I heard it sucked.)

Bono's shades said:

I don't know about that. I pretty much fell in love with them the first time I heard them. I can't even think of a song of theirs I don't like (I suppose that may be because I never listened to Naked - I think I was scared off it since I heard it sucked.)

To be fair, Naked is at least better than True Stories if you've had to suffer through that one yet. It's got some redeeming moments - "Cool Water" is one of my favorite Talking Heads songs period. "Blind," "Totally Nude," and "Nothing But Flowers" aren't bad, either. Still far from my favorite Heads record, but it's not without its redeeming qualities.

Back
Top Bottom