The Swell Season...is hitting the US Shores..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
I am so excited about this..:hyper:

Anyone around the DC area you should check this out:

Once In a Lifetime

Folk/rock duo The Swell Season recently wrote songs for and acted in the breakthrough indie flick Once, and have played multiple sold-out tours based on the strength of their eponymous debut album. Comprised of The Frames frontman Glen Hansard and Czech musican Markéta Irglová, the duo will play the Lincoln Theatre this November with singer/songwriter Martha Wainwright (daughter of Loudoun Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle, and sister to Rufus). See songs from Once performed outside of the screen on this rare evening.

THE SWELL SEASON
w/ Martha Wainwright
November 18
@ Lincoln Theatre • Washington D.C.

On Sale Friday, September 28 at 10am

I am so buying tickets to this show..:drool:

I'm going here in LA in November. I saw them last year before the movie came out and this year at the premiere of Once. They are so great!!!

:drool: I wanna go toooooo!!! Awwwww, you guys are so lucky! I have only just discovered their music and have seen 'Once' a couple of times so far, so it's kind of my new musical obsession at the moment!

Enjoy!! :hyper: :up:

I wasn't aware they were going under the name "The Swell Season" that was the name of the album but it was just labeled as Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

Oh and BTW I'm totally grabbing tickets for Boston. Thank goodness that wednesday is the one before Thanksgiving, I was worried this wouldn't work with my schedule.

good luck, I hope you get tickets to boston..:wink:

They are playing the Lincoln theatre which is a seated venue that holds about 1,100 people and the tickets were all General Admission. Interesting, I wonder how they will work that. $40 bucks isn't too bad..

Oh they're cheaper here, and listed as seated, if it's a seated venue it's probably a mistake.

Weird. Well I guess it'll be a fun mystery then? Haha.

I still can't wait for The Frames to come here, but this should be amazing as well. It'll be interesting, The Police one week, then Bruce, and then a huge change with this after that.

Well.. what can I say the show last sunday was amazing.. So MUCH energy, great guitar playing beautiful singing and hilarious story telling by Glen.. Martha Wainright is a great singer too and great songwriter as well..

It was general admission and the doors opened at 7pm we got there about 6pm but had to eat by the time we finished it was a couple minutes to 7 and I was panicking cuz I knew by then the line would be long and that there was no way we were gonna get close, I was right, the line was a block and a half at least long. I was certain we would be in the back of the theatre. So we walked in and went toward the front.. Amazingly there were 2 seats 5th row, dead center! :yippie: A real good spot... that was luck..:wink:
I highly recommend seeing them if you can!

Here are some ok pics I took..

a couple of pics of Martha Wainright:
IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

The Swell Season (Mar and Glen)
IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

and some more pics... :D

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Martha came on stage and performed with them
IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

Sorry, the quality sucked.. on these pics.. used my son's crap camera...:huh:

santa needs to buy me a real good Canon.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

I particularly like this picture, as well as the others of them next to each other :cute:. They look cute together.

All the pictures are nice, though (eh, shame about the camera quality, but still not that bad), and I'm glad you had a good time (and yay for getting up close, too!) :). Sounds like a cool show-I too had no idea they were calling themselves The Swell Season. I wouldn't mind catching this, either, unfortunately doesn't seem like they'll be coming near me :(.

Hope your show's a good one, powerhouse24 :)!

Angela

check out the holes in Glen's guitar.. He's had the guitar since he was young.. The holes get bigger everytime he plays it and in fact he told the story about how he felt this one sliver piece of wood was gonna break that nite and sure enough it did.. I tell ya he plays so intensely on that thing..

Angela,
If you haven't seen the movie they did called Once wait till december when it get released to dvd.. The movie got rave reviews...:wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
check out the holes in Glen's guitar.. He's had the guitar since he was young.. The holes get bigger everytime he plays it and in fact he told the story about how he felt this one sliver piece of wood was gonna break that nite and sure enough it did.. I tell ya he plays so intensely on that thing..

LOL, aw. Eh, hey, if it still works, though, it's worth the occasional wear and tear, right?

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Angela,
If you haven't seen the movie they did called Once wait till december when it get released to dvd.. The movie got rave reviews...:wink:

I have not seen it yet, no. I would love to, the reviews had me curious (as did the video for "Falling Slowly"). Was wondering when the movie would be released on DVD, I will certainly be on the lookout for it next month. Thanks for the tip :).

Angela

U2Fanatic4ever said:
here's video of Falling Slowly (FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!! :drool: )

Aw... Thanks for sharing that, that was indeed very lovely :).

U2Fanatic4ever said:
this song is so amazing it brings me to tears... especially live!

I love the song, too, it's so beautiful. I've played it quite a bit ever since hearing it :D. I really like hearing these guys' voices together.

And yeah, it's gotten me teary-eyed as well-particularly when I watch the video, for some reason. Kinda like what happened when I first heard Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter" and saw the video for that song.

Thanks again for that link, that was great. If these two ever come near me in the future, I will definitely try and see them.

Angela

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Angela,

Some nice trivia, Glen also uses that guitar in Once. Look closely next time. :)

U2Fanatic4ever said:
here's video of Falling Slowly (FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!! :drool: )

this song is so amazing it brings me to tears... especially live!

:yes:

Of the three studio versions (Frames, Swell Season and Once soundtrack) I prefer the version by The Frames. And it was massive when they played it live this summer. It was the last song of their show and afterwards I was still in trance for at least 15 minutes or so.
:heart:

Popmartijn said:

:yes:

Of the three studio versions (Frames, Swell Season and Once soundtrack) I prefer the version by The Frames. And it was massive when they played it live this summer. It was the last song of their show and afterwards I was still in trance for at least 15 minutes or so.
:heart:

cool.. I really would love to catch The Frames at some point.. As soon as they come around again I won't miss it.

Also, what was cool was I had totally forgotten that Glen was in the movie The Commitments. I haven't seen that in years.. I plan on getting it to rewatch it.. :D

Popmartijn said:

Some nice trivia, Glen also uses that guitar in Once. Look closely next time. :)

yeah I know he does..

He also told a funny story about how he was touring in Japan and was doing a show with his guitar when the CEO of Takamine came up on stage and presented him with a new Takamine.. He said he was so moved by it.. And then later on in the dressing room after the show someone informed him that the reason he was given the new guitar was that the CEO was embarrassed by his using his battered guitar. Trying to save face so to speak.. Of course Glen still uses his 'battered' guitar as opposed to the new one.. :D

ok.. I had to bump up this thread cuz I just can't get enough of The Swell Season! Love their album and the Once soundtrack.

If you haven't heard of these guys go to itunes and listen.. And if you haven't seen ONCE, GO RENT IT FOLKS.. truly a remarkable lil film that stays with you. Cross your fingers that they get the grammys they are up for as well as the Oscar.

The songs that stand out on the Swell Season album are: Leave, Lies, Falling Slowly, When your mind is made up, Drown out.

I am also getting into the Frames too now thanks to this and digging that as well..

And a little bit of nostalgia for ya, Glen is in the movie The Commitments that came out in the late 80s. He had the long curly hair (his name in the film was Outspan)then and a decent role in it too... I just recently bought this dvd having not seen the film in years... It was great to see it again after all these years.

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:
And a little bit of nostalgia for ya, Glen is in the movie The Commitments that came out in the late 80s. He had the long curly hair (his name in the film was Outspan)then and a decent role in it too... I just recently bought this dvd having not seen the film in years... It was great to see it again after all these years.

I bought the soundtrack last week. It was quite shocking to see Glen in the booklet with that long hair. :)

Back
Top Bottom