The Swan: Totally Evil, or would you be on it in a second?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Recently I have been watching that show The Swan. It offends me on many levels, but I watch it as a kind of fascination with the horrible. You know what the main problem of this show is for me? My boyfriend spends every day telling me how beautiful I am, and I finally start to believe that I look good, and then I see this show and I feel totally crappy about myself. I can't imagine how it affects other women. (note they don't have a version for men!)

Other things that bother me:

1) These women aren't THAT badly off physically. I could understand it if you were severely disfigured in some way (I agree with fixing terrible dental work for example) but these women represent the average person, which apparently isn't good enough. Terrible message to send. :down:

2) I like the idea of having them go to therapy, live a healthier lifestyle, etc. But that should be it. Instead they have all this plastic surgery and then are madly applauded at the end. Why do they deserve applause for suddenly being beautiful? If anyone should get the applause it's the surgeons!

3) Wouldn't it be much better to have a show about liking yourself the way you are?? What is the "ugly" person at home going to think..."geez, they have it made, and I am still a loser".

4) These diets. EVERYONE gets 1,200 cals a day. Doesn't matter what your BMI is, what your resting metabolic rate...1,200. With the amount of exercise they are supposedly doing, they are seriously damaging their health if they keep that up.

5) The pagent. Why is this even necessary? They are all supermodels now anyway, all of them look alike! Talk about one size fits all. :tsk:

What does everyone else think. Do you think this is the best thing that could have happened to these very sad and depressed women? Do you wish you could be on the show? Do you think it's harmless? Evil incarnate? I'm curious....

Last edited:
There's a couple things I wouldnt mind changing about my appearance, but I dont think I could ever go through what those girls to on that show. Not only that.. those implants and other things do not last forever. Soon enough they will take their toll on them. They look great now, but how will they look in 10 years?

The thing that bothers me about shows like The Swan is that they promote the idea that you're either perfect-looking or look like hell, and I'm not that crazy about a "perfect look" in the first place, it's superfluous to how well adjusted you are in general.

Mrs. Edge said:
Recently I have been watching that show The Swan. It offends me on many levels, but I watch it as a kind of fascination with the horrible.

The word for that is schadenfreude. I have caught a few episodes and I cringe when I watch it because like you said, there is nothing physically wrong with these women. All they need is therapy and a little makeup to make their inner beauty shine through. However, this is easy for me to say today because I happen to feel good about myself right now. Most days I look in the mirror and cringe--and it occurs to me that perhaps I would make a good candidate for the Swan. I hate my thighs, my butt is too big, etc. (I could go on and on). But then I ask myself, why do I let other people's vision of beauty affect mine? Our mothers are beautiful and they didn't need or couldn't afford Maybeline. Why do we women today worry so much? *sigh*

I honestly don't think that we live in a shallow society per say. It's just that the visibility of shallow people overshadows the rest of us who understand that it's what's inside that really matters.

i must admit that i have never seen this show, and i refuse to watch it for precisely the reasons mrs edge laid out. our society has this bizarre notion that beautiful (read: desirable and successful) women look like britney spears. this isn't realistic, nor is it desirable.

beauty comes from the inside. i'm all for people improving their health (and by proxy, their appearance) by learning how to take care of themselves--by eating a properly balanced diet, exercising regularly, learning how to buy clothes that fit properly, etc. taking care of yourself physically and spiritually is the key to true beauty.

the notion that someone would need extensive plastic surgery to make them feel complete and happy scares the heck out of me. i can't imagine feeling the need to change practically everything about my appearance--where did the self-esteem go? and who thought this would be a good solution?

:down:

see, i don't need to see the show to get all worked up about it. :wink:

Warning, rant ahead:

I've read some follow up interviews with a few of the former contestants and let's just say that if a new face and body equate turning into an arrogant, money hungry bitch, I would rather stay the way I am.

Keep in mind that these women have their bills paid by the show while they are away, they have help with childcare and they receive THOUSANDS of dollars in free plastic surgery, dental work and living expenses.

This is what some of them had to say after they came home:

They complained that they weren't sent home with the "expensive shampoo" they needed for their hair extensions and were miffed that they were expected to pay for it themselves after the show was over

One of them is mad because she can't find a job and feels the show should have given her some "life skills" after her makeover

The real kicker was the one who thought her wedding should have been paid for by companies "eager to cash in on her fame" and she was pissed because her phone calls to these companies were never returned. She truly felt that the "sacrifices" she made by being on the show entitled her to a free wedding

Other than that, I think the show is horrible because it tells women they aren't good enough...and what about the participants who have daughters who look JUST like them, pre-surgery? Are they telling their daughters that they are destined to be miserable because they are ugly too, just like their moms?

The other thing that bothers me is the boyfriends who suddenly decide to propose, AFTER she comes home with a new set of tits and a flat stomach. Why wasn't she good enough to marry before she changed herself into a Barbie doll?

Lastly, does anyone else think that the people doing the hair, make-up and clothes are stuck in 1985? Most of the women look hideous to me...the hair never looks right and the make-up is SO overdone. The dresses they put them in are ill-fitting and slutty...blech.

/end of rant

I would never do it. I've seen it once or twice and I always laugh when I see the finished products. Sometimes they have 23 year old that look like 40 year old Southern soccer mom ex-pagant girls. They're WAAAAAAAAY overdone. I think it's nasty looking. If those girls are "perfect", I'd rather stay ugly thank you very much! :shrug: Also, it's ironic b/c the show is supposed to change every aspect of your life, but they spend hours of every day in the gym and only have counselling once a week (which I think most of those women need more than a stupid fitness plan).

I have seen the show before and I just sit there and yell at the TV. I don't see why anyone would have surgery if they didn't need it... it seems very traumatic. And afterwards, their bodies might look good, but I think their faces look weird. You can tell that they've had something done. But yes, it also is depressing because it seems like that is the only type of woman people want to see. Every guy I've ever dated, it was like "Jessica Simpson, Maxim, Britney Spears!" How can a normal looking girl ever compare to that? It's like you have to have a lobotomy and weigh 110 lbs to attract men.

the idea of this show is disturbing. the fact that it exists is even scarier.

nbcrusader said:
all the women in this forum would be rejected by the show for being waaaaay too good looking already
:hug: Let me suggest a slight correction to your statement, nbc...

"All the women in this forum would be rejected by the show for being waaaaay too smart already" :up: :yes:

The show, and its relative ratings success is just another indicator that the apocalypse is coming. That's why I keep listening to HTDAAB over and over, want to get my listens in before judgement day. What's next, a show with smarmy A-type people sucking up to Donald Trump for a job within his empire????

MrsSpringsteen said:
why isn't there a mens version?
Cuz women know looks aren't the end-all be-all... Otherwise how do you explain the fact that Bill Gates, Keith Richards, and Howard Stern get laid on a regular basis????? :evil:

BluRmGrl said:

Cuz women know looks aren't the end-all be-all... Otherwise how do you explain the fact that Bill Gates, Keith Richards, and Howard Stern get laid on a regular basis????? :evil:

let's not forget donald trump and that lovely 'do of his.

Oh come on, Trump is a sexy beast. I just want to run my fingers through that hair...

It's a double standard-at least they have men on that Extreme Makeover

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
How dare you insult my Keith :mad: :lol:

:love:

I have to say, if I had to choose between Keith and Ric Ocasek, I'd go for Keith because he looks like he has a better sense of humor and well, I just love his solo on "Sway".

The Trump...well his comb over is a bit endearing. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom