The Swan: Totally Evil, or would you be on it in a second?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
number one.

the women ALL want to be on the show

second

most of them have serious emotional problems and say the counseling they received was the most valuable treatment

third

all of them are required to do exercise and change eating habits, this can add years to their lives

fourth

being toothless or having rotten teeth is not healthy, why is dental hygiene wrong?

fifth

being in the pageant adds self-esteem

are you forgetting they have had burn victims and death people on this show.

lastly there is a male version it is called 'total make over' i think

yeah, the show is a bit contrived, but i am a fan. the total joy at the final reveal is genuine. why not be happy for these people?

Last edited:
deep said:
number one.

the women ALL want to be on the show

I know. Who wouldn't want the promise of a cure to all your problems and 15 minutes of fame?

most of them have serious emotional problems and say the counseling they received was the most valuable treatment

That is the part that is good. Although it seems to me they don't get NEARLY enough treatment. Like I said there should be a show that focuses on the therapy part and in feeling good about yourself the way you are!

all of them are required to do exercise and change eating habits, this can add years to their lives

That too is good, but they all get the same diet, which is a) very one size fits all and b) no one could stick to a diet and exercise regimen like that for long.

being toothless or having rotten teeth is not healthy, why is dental hygiene wrong?

Like I said before, the dental work is good. Why these people can't take care of their teeth to begin with is beyond me, but sometimes it is poor genetics.

being in the pageant adds self-esteem

Maybe for the women in the show, but what message does that send to the rest of the world? If you aren't pretty enough to be in a pagent, you are worthless. There are a million other ways to improve someone's self esteem.

are you forgetting they have had burn victims and death people on this show.

I have certainly never seen that, but again, like I said before burns and serious disfigurement is different.

the total joy at the final reveal is genuine. why not be happy for these people?

I am very sure it is genuine. My problem isn't with them. It's with the show's message: Your life will improve if you are beautiful enough to be in a pagent. Otherwise, forget it.
:yuck:

NBC :hug:

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:

Like I said before, the dental work is good. Why these people can't take care of their teeth to begin with is beyond me, but sometimes it is poor genetics.

Maybe they can't afford it? I had some swelling in my mouth from a wisdom tooth that's coming in so I went to the dentist fearing it would absess. They ripped on me for not having been in for over two years, but the truth is, when you don't have dental insurance and when something more pressing happens to someone else (a brother breaking an arm, a sister having an apendectomy), dental work is just too expensive. Sure taking care of your teeth is simple and inexpensive, but when you have a problem like a cavity or infection to start with, those things don't do away, they just get worse even with proper personal hygiene. I don't really have a problem with the regular stuff like brushing and flossing, keeping the plaque and infections away, but I have a few cavities that have been around for the years we couldn't afford the dentist and I can no longer chew bread on the right side of my mouth. Luckily, we've now got a dentist that's not a total rip off b/c he doesn't make us pay right away and sometimes gives me a break.

/dental rant

Mrs. Edge said:

My problem isn't with them. It's with the show's message: Your life will improve if you are beautiful enough to be in a pagent. Otherwise, forget it.
:yuck:

NBC :hug:

:up:

Any reputable plastic surgeon will tell you that a nose job and new breasts are not the solution to all of life's problems. What was wrong before the surgery will be wrong after the surgery. If you are that miserable with yourself and think that the solution is to change your face/body/hair/skin, you need serious therapy, not plastic surgery.

I would love to hear from these women in a year or two and see just how much has really changed for them, emotionally, socially and in their personal lives.

And regarding the dental work...yes, bad teeth are unhealthy and can really damage a person's self esteem...so why can't a show like the Swan fix the women's teeth, give them a make-over without all the plastic surgery and help them get healthy, WITHOUT the pageant? What is healthy about pitting already fragile women against each other and telling 99% of them they still don't measure up because only one of them can win afterall?

Bono's American Wife said:

And regarding the dental work...yes, bad teeth are unhealthy and can really damage a person's self esteem...so why can't a show like the Swan fix the women's teeth, give them a make-over without all the plastic surgery and help them get healthy, WITHOUT the pageant? What is healthy about pitting already fragile women against each other and telling 99% of them they still don't measure up because only one of them can win afterall?

:up: And they just come out looking so.....fake....and kinda slutty/trashy too. I used to watched Extreme Makeover and from what I remember, their show was way better at fixing really serious things and didn't go overboard with the plastic surgery.

deep said:
number one.

why not be happy for these people? death people

:hmm:

:wink:
zombie.jpg

Last edited:
It's not that I particularly hate the idea of the show, although I have an issue with it, but the show (and many others) sounds so stupid that I can't justify wasting an hour of my life on it, on a weekly basis.

Poor you! How terrible! I guess since I don't have any cavities, I expect the same thing to happen to other people...

You are right, dentists can be horrendously expensive, fortunately for me I just have cleanings which are mostly covered by my insurance. I definitely think that the dental work is the most useful thing that show does. It was also the best part of Extreme Makover. Some of the people on that show had unbelievably terrible teeth!

I hope your new dentist will help you, not being able to chew on one side is no way to live! :(

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Maybe they can't afford it? I had some swelling in my mouth from a wisdom tooth that's coming in so I went to the dentist fearing it would absess. They ripped on me for not having been in for over two years, but the truth is, when you don't have dental insurance and when something more pressing happens to someone else (a brother breaking an arm, a sister having an apendectomy), dental work is just too expensive. Sure taking care of your teeth is simple and inexpensive, but when you have a problem like a cavity or infection to start with, those things don't do away, they just get worse even with proper personal hygiene. I don't really have a problem with the regular stuff like brushing and flossing, keeping the plaque and infections away, but I have a few cavities that have been around for the years we couldn't afford the dentist and I can no longer chew bread on the right side of my mouth. Luckily, we've now got a dentist that's not a total rip off b/c he doesn't make us pay right away and sometimes gives me a break.

/dental rant

I saw five minutes of it once, near the end of the episode. The women looked so plastic that to me, some of them looked worse than they had in the before shots. :ohmy:

Mrs. Edge said:
Poor you! How terrible! I guess since I don't have any cavities, I expect the same thing to happen to other people...

You are right, dentists can be horrendously expensive, fortunately for me I just have cleanings which are mostly covered by my insurance. I definitely think that the dental work is the most useful thing that show does. It was also the best part of Extreme Makover. Some of the people on that show had unbelievably terrible teeth!

I hope your new dentist will help you, not being able to chew on one side is no way to live! :(

It's all right, I don't need sympathy, I've just noticed lately how many people unintentionally take something as basic as dental care as a given when it's really not for many people. My problem was that the sealants put on my molars when I was little only last for 10 years or so, so they'd worn off without anyone noticing since we couldn't afford dental visits. By the time I could get back in, I'd developed cavities b/c my molars are so deep. As for the chewing thing, it's kind of like in psychology - you learn REAL fast not to do something (bite down) otherwise OUCH and after a while, it's habit. It hardly bothers me anymore and it's almost nice b/c I also can't chew anything sweet so I avoid stuff that's bad for me anyway. I'm getting it all fixed as soon as I'm back from Africa. I'll be able to eat fast again! :hyper:

I think it's a harmless show. Most people who have insecurities about themselves would have them whether this show existed or not (geez, you could see someone walking down the street in your own town and start feeling all insecure), so it's kinda unfair in my eyes for people in this country to blame this show for that-if this show bothers people, they don't have to watch it. And if somebody did want to change their looks, that's their business. I may think they look fine the way they are, feel any changes would be unnecessary, and would say all of this to them, but if they really want to do it, they'll do it no matter what I say. And if someone is inspired by this show to change their appearance, well, they chose to change their looks, nobody forced them to do that, so if someone were to blame the show in regards to that aspect of it all as well, I wouldn't agree with that, either.

Okay, now that that's out of the way...I personally would never appear on this show, no-I have no desire to get plastic surgery or spend hours finding out what makeup works best for me or whatever (I hate wearing makeup). I don't even watch this show, mainly because I personally can think of better things to do with my time than watch people get makeovers (but hey, if that's what interests some of you, enjoy the show :)).

Angela

I haven't really watched this show that much, but I do think that it reflects of the media's (and maybe society's) view of women - that the way we look is the only thing that's important. It definitely contributes to how hard we are on ourselves regarding our own appearance.

That being said, I am a sucker for "Extreme Makeover". I always get a little weepy whe the people finally see themselves. They are so happy when they look in the mirror. I always think, "I will never be that happy looking at myself." And that makes me sad, 'cause it's not that I'm an ugly woman, I just watch stupid plastic surgery shows that make me feel like an ugly woman. Argh! :madspit:

There was an episode which I hated, where an elementary school teacher was chosen for a makeover. They showed her announcing it to her students, who were all overjoyed for her. On her first day back, they got the students reaction when she walked into the classroom. All the little girls were saying how pretty she was now, and one little boy even said, "She's hot!" I can't help but feel those kids learned a lesson from that whole experience, and not a good one.

A few months ago, I would have definitely said yes to getting plastic surgery. But since then, I've been working out a lot (lost 13 lbs. Yay!) and feel a bit better about myself. So now I don't think I'd jump at the chance.

I would love to have them pay my bills though! :wink:

I have to say that as a woman I am completely outraged by the message this and many other of these ridiculous "reality shows"are sending young women. All of these programs just add to the problem of television's portrayal of women as nothing more than an object created simply for men's pleasure. I can't believe women can watch this show and not cringe. It was not developed to help anyone overcome insecurities, it is simply a means of exploiting people with self-esteem issues. I have reached the point where there is very little I can watch on tv without wanting to smash my tv set. From MTV to soap operas to these reality shows....whose reality is this anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but this issue just makes my blood boil.

i'll be honest, i'd be on it. i almost considered submitting an application for next season. however, i think the girls look way too fake; they all look alike at the end. i didn't watch the show at all, but i saw the people magazine where they were on the cover and good god...how did they pick a winner? they were all either blonde or brunette with the same huge hair and prom dress, and humongous, unproportional boobs.

but if i could have a bit of say, like no i don't need a boob or nose job, etc., then yeah, i'd go on it. it's be nice to look better and improve my self esteem.

tiny dancer said:

I like this show also, and it's on tonight!

I LOVE America's Next Top Model!!! I want Eva to win so bad, she's drop dead gorgeous...but the truly shocking thing is if Amanda wins---a near blind supermodel. Yaya....she's annoying but not flamboyant enough for me.

I love drinking Porte and eating ice cream while watching this show with the Will to my Grace...it's hilarious.

angel_of_L.A. said:

I LOVE America's Next Top Model!!! I want Eva to win so bad, she's drop dead gorgeous...but the truly shocking thing is if Amanda wins---a near blind supermodel. Yaya....she's annoying but not flamboyant enough for me.

Yaya annoying? :eyebrow: I actually think Eva is worse with her bad (and immature) attitude. Well she won anyway. :sigh: Doesn't matter anyway who wins we probably will not see them again. Where are the other two winners from the previous seasons?

Tyra should stop leading on the plus size models. They judges give them (the plus size girls) hope and tear them down again (Janice Dickinson). It's a shame. :mad:

Siren said:

Tyra should stop leading on the plus size models. They judges give them (the plus size girls) hope and tear them down again (Janice Dickinson). It's a shame. :mad:

I don't think Tyra was leading on Plus Size models at all. Janice is the one who doesn't like the idea at all. :down: I don't like Janice I think she is the one woman in the world who can make even the prettiest woman feel like ugly and fat.

I think the reason America's Top Model doesn't bother me is that they aren't saying that beauty is the answer to all your problems. This is simply naturally beautiful women trying out for a career.

Tonight I watched the Swan pagent. I figured I had seen at least half the episodes, I might as well see the rest. In the part where they have to explain why they should be the Swan they all say "I have learned that beauty comes from within!"

:crack:

What a load of tripe!!!!!! That's what they should have been saying BEFORE all the surgery! :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom