The Superbowl - A Musing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
...I think the importance the people of this country place on the Superbowl, a FOOTBALL GAME, has reached unhealthy proportions. Now don't get me wrong, I watched the Superbowl, I enjoyed the Superbowl, but I can still see how ridiculous the whole thing is. The pre-show is as long, if not longer than, the game itself. Advertisers pay more to put commercials during the Superbowl than any other televised event. People have parties, where they get fat and drunk whilst watching. People place SO much importance on it. And that brings me to the question this thread was created to ask; If Superbowl Sunday were moved to Monday, how long would it take before Superbowl Monday became a national holiday? :wink:

i dont think people put SO much importance in it, they just use it as a day to get together with friends and have a good time. for most people the game doesnt even matter. It's kind of like an unofficial holiday, and I don't really see anything wrong with people having a good time.

You're just bitter 'cuz you're stuck with the Bengals and/or Browns.

Yeah its a terrible thing for people to get together on a Sunday in late January/early February with friends and family, spend time together, eat, watch the game, laugh at the chimpanzee commercials and forget about some of life's problems for an evening. It should be outlawed.

Hewson said:
Yeah its a terrible thing for people to get together on a Sunday in late January/early February with friends and family, spend time together, eat, watch the game, laugh at the chimpanzee commercials and forget about some of life's problems for an evening. It should be outlawed.

Why is a football game needed for that? What do family/friends need an excuse to get together, eat, laugh, and forget about some of life's problems for an evening? Why have we, as a society, chosen a football game to base this around?

The fixation on this topic is what's unhealthy. The question is, how much eating/drinking is done on any given weekend, regardless of the calender or circumstances?

Level of importance? No it isn't important, it's just fun.

As far as the high $$ companies shell for advertising, it's still a good deal for them given the high viewership each 30 second ad recieves during the SB, relative to that of a regular season game. Dollars spent per viewer is probably consistent with the rest of their advertising budget throughout the year.

Enjoy the Bengals and Browns!

namkcuR said:

Why is a football game needed for that? What do family/friends need an excuse to get together, eat, laugh, and forget about some of life's problems for an evening? Why have we, as a society, chosen a football game to base this around?

Because football is fun?

Just a wild guess.

namkcuR said:

Why is a dinner 385 yrs ago between Pilgrims and native Americans something that we get together over in November? Why do we get together and hunt for eggs supposedly delivered by a rabbit in the spring?
Why do people gather to watch the Olympics every 4 years?
Why do people have Oscar watching parties?
Why do people have presidential election night gatherings?

Back
Top Bottom