The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
all i know is that if carmona pitches like he did the other night that the indians have two wins right off the bat

I think this is going to be a close, and long, series.

I also think Colorado is going to hammer Arizona like a five-dollar hooker, so hopefully the ALCS gives us some close games.

Last edited:
If the red sox pitch decently they will win this series. I have seen the Indians offense go in the tank too many times this year to put a lot of stock in them.

Look at the month and a half after the all-star break. Their offense was utter shite.

red sox fans taking joy that the yankees lost? mistaken justification... the indians are better, they should have wanted the yankees to win.

The Indians are better, but based on how the Sox did against both teams this year, it could be argued that playing the Indians is better for them. Boston was horrendous against the Yankees during the second half, yet mostly had their way against the Indians.

Then again, the Yankees swept the Indians this past season, and look what happened to them...

red sox fans taking joy that the yankees lost? mistaken justification... the indians are better, they should have wanted the yankees to win.

I think the Yankees were the better team over the course of the regular season, but in the playoffs the importance of your #1, #2 pitchers and bullpen goes up, and the importance of your offense and #4 and #5 pitchers goes down. By that metric, the Indians were clearly the better playoff team, and it showed.

That being said, I can easily see Joe Borowski blowing a game or two for Sabathia and Carmona against the Red Sox.

DaveC said:

I think this is going to be a close, and long, series.

I also think Colorado is going to hammer Arizona like a five-dollar hooker, so hopefully the ALCS gives us some close games.

i can really see both LCS' going 7 games. you're selling arizona a bit short... when you're throwing webb twice, it's awfuly difficult to get hammered.

even if one (or both) of these series' are short... 4/5 games, i think every game will be close. the way i could see a series going quickly is if borowski blows a couple of games for cleveland hung low kim style.

Tim McCarver: One thing about ground balls, they don't go out of the ballpark.

Dalton said:
The one thing I AM grateful for in this post season is the chance to finally seeing these Wang apologists shut it.

He's a good pitcher. He is NOT one of the elite pitchers in the game.

Are there a plethora of Wang apologists out there?

He pitches like shit in the post-season, but he helps get us there. He's not elite, but, he's not that far behind.

all i know is that if carmona pitches like he did the other night that the indians have two wins right off the bat
Of course it'll be interesting to see Fausto pitch in Fenway where his career got off to an auspicious start last year.
His one start against the Sox was in Cle this year. Fenway might rattle the young'un come Saturday night.

I don't get everyone referring to Cleveland as a small market club, they have some of the most faithful fans, and have been there for over 100 years (longer than the Yankees have been around) anyone take in a game at Jacobs Field and see the sports' press around them and then call them small market, maybe the city of Cleveland is when compared to others, but not in a sports sense.

They are small market in terms of the size of the city. The metropolitan area of Cleveland is not even close to places like NY, Boston, LA, Chicago, or the Bay Area, just to name a few. It has nothing to do with how rabid a sports town it is.

Also, the team itself is considered small market as they don't spend nearly as much money as some others.

He wouldn't be so bad if he deferred to the rest of the coaching staff on in-game decisions. He's a good motivator and he knows how to get players ready, but his in-game decisions (pinch hitters/runners, pitcher changes, etc) are absolutely awful.

Still don't really know how I feel about this...

powerhour24 said:
I don't get everyone referring to Cleveland as a small market club, they have some of the most faithful fans, and have been there for over 100 years (longer than the Yankees have been around) anyone take in a game at Jacobs Field and see the sports' press around them and then call them small market, maybe the city of Cleveland is when compared to others, but not in a sports sense.

please...

the green bay packers are one of the most historic names in all of sport. they have a hardcore fanbase that sell out lambau field year after year after year.

and in the current sports climate, if not for the NFL's CBA, they would no longer exist, because the market they play in could not allow them to compete with the rest of the league for players.

fans, ultimately, play a second fiddle to the financial well being of a modern day sports franchise. it's all about advertising money, tv revenue and luxary boxes... which is where the city's actuall size and population comes into effect. the more people the franchise reaches, the more money the franchise brings in in advertising revenue, the more money they have to spend on players, etc. etc. etc.

on top of that, you can charge more money for ticket prices in large markets because there's more of a sample to draw from.

boston it's self, in reality, is a small market... but boston teams draw from the entire region of new england, which allow them to compete with the big boys. if, per say, portland, maine was a bigger market and had a few pro sport teams to draw away from boston, there's no way that boston could be as competitive as they are.

so yea... long answer to a short statement. cleveland is most certainly a small market team, but one that doesn't bitch and whine about it and does the best job they can with what they have.

i'm done now. honest.

This is strange to say since, as a Sox fan, I truly hate the Yankees as much as anybody can hate a sports team (and yes, sports "hate" is not the same as real hate...

Seeing the Yankees lose on Monday brought me no joy. I usually revel in Yankee losing (yes it's pathetic, but having 1918 rammed down your throat for your entire baseball-watching life brings out some bitterness), most notably when Luis Gonzalez became an honorary member of Red Sox Nation in 2001. But Monday's loss to what was in all actuality a better team was nothing to cheer about, because it most likely marked the end of the Joe Torre era in New York. Watching the postgame interviews of the losing clubs is always pretty depressing, but seeing Torre at the podium it was pretty clear that he expects to be gone. It's too bad. Joe Torre brought pride back to a historically great and proud franchise (not alone of course), and listening to the postgame of the Yankee radio broadcast I got the sense that everyone realizes this is the end of an era in the Bronx.

Joe Torre has been a worthy opponent; I think I'll actually miss the guy. Even though I think the Yankees will be worse without him, which is fine with me, seeing the Yankees without Joe in charge will be strange. What will be even odder is seeing Torre managing some other club next year (I kind of think he'll hang it up, but if he gets the right opportunity...), it'll be like seeing a star player switch teams (remember those Dan Marion to the Vikings rumors? WTF...Marino on the Vikings)

Of course I'd probably be a lot less pragmatic and a lot more smug & snotty if the Sox hadn't won in '04 and/or had lost to the Angels.

CTU2fan said:
it'll be like seeing a star player switch teams (remember those Dan Marion to the Vikings rumors? WTF...Marino on the Vikings)

Marino on the Vikings...as implausible as Montana on the Chiefs or Bobby Orr on the Blackhawks or pre-murder OJ on the 49ers or Namath on the Rams or Babe Ruth on the Braves or Hank Aaron on the Brewers or...

No spoken words said:
Franco Harris on the Seahawks. Man, that bothered the fuck out of me.

gallery_18_harris.jpg

buggggggg

DaveC said:
He wouldn't be so bad if he deferred to the rest of the coaching staff on in-game decisions. He's a good motivator and he knows how to get players ready, but his in-game decisions (pinch hitters/runners, pitcher changes, etc) are absolutely awful.

Still don't really know how I feel about this...

He's an excellent manager in the sense that he works very well with the players.

He can't make a lineup or a substitution. He just can't. He doesn't have the decision making skills.

Still, I'm glad they're spending more money this year, because with their terrible judging of talent, a few extra million could possibly heal some mistakes if they get lucky.

phillyfan26 said:

He's an excellent manager in the sense that he works very well with the players.

He can't make a lineup or a substitution. He just can't. He doesn't have the decision making skills.

Charlie Manuel is Philadelphian for Grady Little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom