The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
speedracer said:

He'd probably be better off keeping that Johann Santana Bach guy instead.
sebastian%20bach%20live%202.jpg

131 million in 2007 with an operating income of 14.8 million.

every single team in baseball operates in the black with the exception of the yankees, who are approx. 25 million in the red, according to forbes.

the value of the twins franchise improved by 33% in 2007, the biggest improvement in all of baseball. the amount they spend on players will likely not go up to despite that change, and that's the problem.

and yes, maybe torri isn't worth it.

but within the next 5 years johan santana, joe mauer and justin mourneau will all be playing on other teams because minnesota won't shell out the cash to keep them.

Last edited:
eye eye

Headache in a Suitcase said:

but within the next 5 years johan santana, joe mauer and justin mourneau will all be playing on other teams because minnesota won't shell out the cash to keep them.

Johan Santana and Justin Mourneau maybe, but Joe Mauer will be a Twin as long as he wants to be. He is a homer, born and raised in St. Paul. Pohlad would be tossed in a wood chipper if he failed to sign Mauer.

I expect Pohlad to offload the team in the next five years. He will want to build value, which means he will have to have a competitive team. Might mean spending some money...will see what he allows Bill Smith do.

...and, it is TorII. ;)

Orlando Cabrera to the Nice Sox for Garland. Aaaaand...your new Angel ss is Brandon Wood. :) This trade is probably a precursor to another as the halos now have a SP to give.

I do think Lackey is correct here, the Halos will be dealing. I'd expect some combination of pitching going for a bat.

Not sure about Brandon Wood as SS, I've heard his defense is questionable...could be he goes in the blockbuster for Miggy and they just play Maicer Izturis at SS.

CTU2fan said:
I do think Lackey is correct here, the Halos will be dealing. I'd expect some combination of pitching going for a bat.

Not sure about Brandon Wood as SS, I've heard his defense is questionable...could be he goes in the blockbuster for Miggy and they just play Maicer Izturis at SS.

I think Wood will be given the ss job opening day but if he proves to not be ready, Izturis will get the bulk of the playing time there (good observation on your part).

In a similar situation, at the start of the '06 season the halos handed the starting catcher's job to Jeff Mathis - a guy Scioscia has for a long time raved about. It quickly became apparent Mathis was overmatched and he was sent down. He came back this season and handled himself very well. The point is, the Angels are not afraid to throw their young players into the frying pan.

Arte Moreno is said to LOVE Brandon Wood and word is that Arte has said Wood will absolutely not be traded. Wood is the top prospect in the Angels' org, he's a power-hitting ss and he'll be out-producing OCab within 2 seasons.

Oh, and word is the deal for Miguel Cabrera is pretty much done. Details are being worked out and the deal is supposed be announced by Wednesday. The hard part of that deal is we're almost certainly going to lose Kendrick.

Surprise, surprise...

A-Rod wins third MVP but denied unanimous selection
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez is headed back to the New York Yankees as the American League's Most Valuable Player.

A-Rod won his third AL MVP award Monday, easily defeating Detroit's Magglio Ordonez after compiling an astounding season at the plate. Rodriguez received 26 first-place votes and 382 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, while Ordonez had two firsts and 258 points.

Rodriguez started the year with 14 homers in his first 18 games, hit .314 for the season and led the majors with 54 homers, 156 RBIs and 143 runs. He was the first player since New York's Roger Maris in 1961 to lead in the majors in homers, RBIs and runs, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Los Angeles Angels slugger Vladimir Guerrero finished third in the voting with 203 points, and Boston's David Ortiz (177) was fourth.

The only two first-place votes that didn't go to Rodriguez were from Tom Gage of The Detroit News and Jim Hawkins of The Oakland Press in Pontiac, Mich.

Rodriguez didn't want to talk about his negotiations with the Yankees that are leading toward a $275 million, 10-year contract.

"There is a finish line in sight," Rodriguez said on a conference call, adding he would talk about the contract "when the time is right."

He didn't want to say why he decided last month to opt out of his contract.

"There will be a time and place for that," he said.

He also wouldn't detail the advice he was given by investor Warren Buffet.

"Warren and I have a wonderful relationship," he said.

Rodriguez became the ninth player to win the MVP three or more times. Barry Bonds holds the record with seven -- all in the NL -- and Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Joe DiMaggio, Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial and Mike Schmidt won three apiece.

A-Rod won his first MVP in 2003, his last season with the Texas Rangers. He also won the award while with the Yankees in 2005.

"I would trade off three for one world championship. I wouldn't think twice about it," said Rodriguez, who has never reached the World Series.

A-Rod struggled in the playoffs again this year as the Yankees lost to Cleveland in the first round. He went 4-for-15 (.267) with one RBI against the Indians, leaving him in an 8-for-59 (.136) postseason funk dating to 2004 and hitless in his past 18 playoff at-bats with runners in scoring position.

He ended 2006 by being dropped to eighth in the batting order for the Yankees' final postseason loss to Detroit.

A-Rod earned a $1.5 million bonus for winning the award, which completes the contract he opted out of last month. A-Rod earned $185.45 million over seven years in that deal, including bonuses, an average of $26.49 million annually.

After opting out of the final three seasons of that record contract, which had guaranteed him $252 million over 10 seasons, A-Rod restarted talks with the Yankees. That came after a turbulent two weeks in which the Yankees said they wouldn't negotiate with him anymore, and then he approached the team without agent Scott Boras and negotiated his return through an investment banker.

It was the 20th time a Yankees player won the award.

Tom Gage of the Detroit News was one of the two Detroit writers who voted for Magglio Ordonez over A-Rod.

I grew up in Detroit reading Gage's columns, and he always seemed like a fair, professional writer to me. It's surprising and disappointing that he cast a homer vote here.

John Lackey said:

Oh, and word is the deal for Miguel Cabrera is pretty much done. Details are being worked out and the deal is supposed be announced by Wednesday. The hard part of that deal is we're almost certainly going to lose Kendrick.

I like Howie Kendrick as a hitter, a lot. He will be tough to lose...but if he does go I guess the play is some combination of Wood, Aybar, Izturis, and Figgy playing SS/2B. Ideally Figgy can transition to 2B smoothly; I know he's played there in the past, and he seems like a guy who can play all over the diamond without much problem.

The other question is how does 1B shake out, between Morales and Kotchman. Actually I wouldn't be shocked if one of them went with Kendrick to South Florida.

the garland for cabrera trade is retarded on so many levels that it's not even worth discusing.

the angels are inept.

I agree with this entire statement, except substituting "Chisox" for "Angels".

CTU2fan said:

I agree with this entire statement, except substituting "Chisox" for "Angels".

ok i'll bite.

the white sox just signed juan uribe to a 5 million dollar 1 year contract a week ago, only to go and trade a pitcher for a shortstop.

on the flip side, garland had an era in the mid 4's in each of the past two seasons, and the angels problems had zero to do with pitching and everything to do with hitting, and they just traded one of their best offensive players, who's a gold glover and a proven winner to boot.

so i'll reprhase a little... both teams are inept.

so i'll reprhase a little... both teams are inept.

Umm, no. Orlando Cabrera is 33 years old. He's never gonna duplicate the offensive numbers he had last season. For Christ's sake, he hit .301 and he's a career .273 hitter. Last season he drove in more runs than he has in the 6 previous seasons.

The Angels traded Ocab while his value is high and if anything, they got the best of this deal.

CTU2fan said:

I like Howie Kendrick as a hitter, a lot. He will be tough to lose...but if he does go I guess the play is some combination of Wood, Aybar, Izturis, and Figgy playing SS/2B. Ideally Figgy can transition to 2B smoothly; I know he's played there in the past, and he seems like a guy who can play all over the diamond without much problem.

The other question is how does 1B shake out, between Morales and Kotchman. Actually I wouldn't be shocked if one of them went with Kendrick to South Florida.

You obviously follow the Angels pretty closely. I was under the impression you're a Red Sox fan.

I don't like Figgy at 2b. He killed us vs. Boston in the '04 ALDS, although, granted, things change and maybe he's a better all-around player now. I dunno, he hasn't played much 2b.

If the halos trade Kendrick AND Kotchman and an SP for MCab, that to me is too much. Kendrick and Morales I could live with, I guess.

Last edited:
If the White Sox are really bent on stocking up on high-priced shortstops, I know another team that wouldn't mind giving one away...

CTU2fan said:
I do think Lackey is correct here, the Halos will be dealing..
Wouldn't it be ironic (like raiiiiiiin on your wedding day, a free riiiiiiide when you've already paid) if the Angels dealt John Lackey.:ohmy: :wink:

Congratulations to Jimmy Rollins.

Now if I were David Wright, I'd mail Tom Glavine a gigantic turd sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom