The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
Tell Schmeg that I said "congratulations".

Schmeg says thank you and wants to let you know that a DVR of NESN for the next three weeks would make a lovely Christmas present. :wink:

No spoken words said:
I just switched over to NESN, and, someone just asked him Francona, during his presser......about.....the....fucking...."curse".

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!

They are playing the press conference now on Sportsnet.

It was the second fucking question. :|

No spoken words said:

Too bad I'm Jewish.

:)

You're welcome.

Birthday maybe? :D

Back on topic:
*Talking about the Curse was lame in 2004
*I would much rather see Lowell for a few more years than A-Rod
*I can't believe my grandparents never saw the Sox win it all and I've seen it twice. I feel spoiled. But really, really happy.

Schmeg said:

Birthday maybe? :D

Back on topic:
*Talking about the Curse was lame in 2004
*I would much rather see Lowell for a few more years than A-Rod
*I can't believe my grandparents never saw the Sox win it all and I've seen it twice. I feel spoiled. But really, really happy.

Birthday sounds good.

My Dad's entire family lives in New England. All are Sox fans, so, that's my silver lining, that they are rejoicing tonight.

No spoken words said:

Honestly, how fucking lame is that? Shouldn't these people know better?

Well, they are sports journalists. Perhaps you're giving them too much credit with that "they should know better" comment.

With that, I'm going to bed. Enjoy it, Sox fans. One of these days I'll feel it too when one of my teams decides to finally pull their heads out of their asses and win a championship. :sigh:

The beauty of living in Boston...the politicians...

Driving in this morning, listening to WBZ radio for traffic info and they do a live interview with Mayor Menino about the possible parade.

When asked about the game and the Sox he says he was impressed with the 2 young guys at the top, "Ellsbury and Pedora," and also with last night's pitcher "Joe Lester."

Then when asked about how the championship is good for the city, he says that its good for "the psychic of the city"

Ted K has nothing on mumbles.

Hewson said:

Driving in this morning, listening to WBZ radio for traffic info and they do a live interview with Mayor Menino about the possible parade.

When asked about the game and the Sox he says he was impressed with the 2 young guys at the top, "Ellsbury and Pedora," and also with last night's pitcher "Joe Lester."

Then when asked about how the championship is good for the city, he says that its good for "the psychic of the city"

George is that you?

Hewson said:

Wow, no love for Manny Ortez. That is disappointing.

Haha Manny Ortez, that was beautiful.

Girardi apparently set to take over as Yankee manager.

I have a feeling that Girardi is going to FLAME out in New York. Its going to be ugly.

Don't get me wrong, I think that he is a VERY good manager, but I can't see his temperament working where you are always getting second guessed.

Yeah, I thought the same thing too when I heard they were looking at Girardi. Really thought they'd go with Mattingly in the end.

:shrug:

Ok folks, here is how things are going to shake down.

1. The cubs are going to sign Alex Rodriguez to an stupid contract

2. They will trade Aramis Ramirez to the Angels for Ervin Santana.

3. They will sign David Eckstein.

4. They will win the world series for the first time in 100 years.

5. The party in Wrigleyville will be so epic that my liver will never, ever recover.

You know, I'm not really sure I care at all about the Cubs. I just want to be in Chicago when the finally win it. A-MAZE-ZING

One problem...Arod only made the World Series by interrupting it with his announcement...a Cubs/Arod marriage is doomed for eternal damnation.

Girardi may or may not last, but, Mattingly would have never been able to deal with the constant 2nd guessing and such. His temperment is all wrong, and, for years now he's put out verbal signs that he might not even want the job if offered.

I'm happy with it being Girardi.

No spoken words said:
Girardi may or may not last, but, Mattingly would have never been able to deal with the constant 2nd guessing and such. His temperment is all wrong, and, for years now he's put out verbal signs that he might not even want the job if offered.

I'm happy with it being Girardi.

I agree. I think the Yankees need another older coach who is confident/mature/seasoned enough to let the second guessing roll off his back. That job is not for a young man.

Dalton said:

I agree. I think the Yankees need another older coach who is confident/mature/seasoned enough to let the second guessing roll off his back. That job is not for a young man.

?

Don Mattingly is three years older than Joe Girardi, and having been in the Yankees dugout the last few season, I'm sure he has some idea of what the life of a Yankees manager is like.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

?

Don Mattingly is three years older than Joe Girardi, and having been in the Yankees dugout the last few season, I'm sure he has some idea of what the life of a Yankees manager is like.

He may have an idea of what it will be like, but I doubt that he has character/experience to really do the job.

They should have waited for the Dodgers to hire Torre and snagged that baseball genius Grady Little :)

Steinbrenner the younger's recent comments make me think we could be in for Bronx Zoo redux the next few years, could be interesting.

Wonder if Hank likey the Calzone.

don mattingly had no chance at getting that job.

it's tough to replace a legend. joe torre was just that. anyone who replaces a legend is already climbing an uphill battle without even setting foot on the field.

the yankees as of this current date aren't better than the blue jays, let alone the red sox. now a lot could change between now and april, and i'm sure a lot will... but they seem set on sticking with the young pitchers, set with not negotiating with a-rod, and this isn't a strong free agent class, a-rod aside. so there's only so much they can do this year.

long story short... if and when the yankees miss the playoffs next season, the yankees can always fire joe girardi if they so desire. heck, they could even bring back joe torre in 2009 to open the new ballpark.

but you don't fire donny baseball.

Maybe I'm just easily amused, but these made me laugh like a big goofball.

1801640073_69dc0ed32f.jpg

1801639675_b0c979fb29.jpg

Honestly, that thing he does with his mouth creeps me out a little. :yikes:

Hewson said:
Steinbrenner the younger's recent comments make me think we could be in for Bronx Zoo redux the next few years, could be interesting.

Wonder if Hank likey the Calzone.

I'm already rooting for Hal to pull a Richard III on Hank.

Renteria back to the AL with the Tigers.

Oh, and Headache has a point....they can shit-can Girardi any old time, and it won't really resonate....but, if they ever did fire Mattingly, oy, that would go over poorly. I wish I were back in NYC this week to gauge Yankee fan's feelings regarding Girardi. As I said earlier, I really am pleased with the hire, despite Mattingly being my favorite Yankee of all-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom