The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tpsreports2424 said:
They couldnt hear themselves...if you saw there hands, they were trying to hear the in-ear phones but obviously wasnt workin...

yeah they sounded shitty

Yeah I think that happened to Ashlee Simpson at the (Rose?) Bowl.

Anyway, Ashanti kicked their ass.

Oh and yes, the bullpen is filthy. If I was at bat facing Oki with him not even looking, I think that would have me a little jumpy.

SeattleVertigo said:
What a play by Papelbon! The dude looked like a flopping fish out of water!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/26/roaring_and_soaring/?page=1

Great article about the pickoff here.

Papelbon usually doesn't keep a careful watch on baserunners because he's focused on blowing the batter away. The Rockies knew this, but the Red Sox knew the Rockies knew this. The Sox also knew that Matt Holliday likes to steal on the first pitch with two outs, so they let him get his lead and gave him enough rope to hang himself.

Last edited:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3080873

FBI opens investigation into 'attack' on Rockies ticket system

Associated Press

DENVER -- The FBI has opened an investigation after the Colorado Rockies claimed an "external, malicious attack" on computer servers brought down the club's first attempt to sell World Series tickets.

I'm pretty sure Bill Belichick was behind this somehow.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
must be a tough time for new england sport fans these days, considering that it's entirely possible that boston could win the world series, the super bowl, the ncaa d1 football national championship and the nba title within a calendar year.

They'll find a way to make themselves look like the underdogs, though, without a Stanley Cup in the mix. :wink:

The OOTS said:
The Red Sox are slowly becoming the new Yankees. :yuck:

:huh:

They might get their second World Series win this decade but only after going 86 years previously, and they won their division for the first time since 1995 this year. Hell, they didn't even make the playoffs last year.

So how exactly are they becoming the Yankees?

I desperately want to answer that, but it's only going to piss off every Sox fan on this forum (and that's a group I'd prefer not to make angry seeing how there's so many of you).

I'll let The OOTS answer though, since I'm sure he's got his own theory.

zoney! said:

They'll find a way to make themselves look like the underdogs, though, without a Stanley Cup in the mix. :wink:
And I doubt we'll have a sniff at the NCAA hoops title either (Though NCAA Hockey is a real possibility every year, not that anyone cares about that), so this is underdog city right now. :wink:

^^I think the link that Headache provided sums up my thoughts pretty well.

1. Bloated payroll - This is a BIG one. Throwing money around to BUY championships. They sign gap -filling, over-priced players like they are the Yankees. ie. Drew and Dice-K for examples. Great if it's your team - sucky for baseball teams not in NY, Boston, LA, or Chicago. Salary cap anyone??

2. Superior, Aloof fans - What is it with this Red Sox Nation crap?? Where did all these bandwagoneers come from?? All of a sudden, everyone is a Sox fan? 10 years ago there wasn't this type of fanaticism...now in most visiting stadiums there are more Sox 'fans' than home team fans. Unless y'all been in hiding for the last 10+ years.. I call bullshit.

3. Media coverage - The Yankees used to get all the press...now the Red Sox also dominate the coverage East coast..west coast..north...south..it doesn't matter. Gets tiresome watching Papelbon doing his river dance as a piece story or Manny declaring that if he doesn't care if they win there is always next year.

Apologies to those who've followed the Sox religiously for years and years. I'm sure you'll be reaping the rewards for years to come. But, I'm getting force fed the Red Sox from all directions and to me they are quickly becoming the new Yankees.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:
^^I think the link that Headache provided sums up my thoughts pretty well.

1. Bloated payroll - This is a BIG one. Throwing money around to BUY championships. They sign gap -filling, over-priced players like they are the Yankees. ie. Drew and Dice-K for examples. Great if it's your team - sucky for baseball teams not in NY, Boston, LA, or Chicago. Salary cap anyone??

I can't defend Boston's payroll. The only thing I can say is they're in the same division as the Yankees. They kind of have to play that game. The teams that don't (TB, Toronto, Baltimore) have not shot. I think you might see a lower Sox payroll in upcoming years, as cheaper young players start to win spots on the roster (think of the good 90s Yankee teams whose payroll wasn't as outrageous, because of the homegrown talent they had). It's not fair to the other clubs, but the Sox sit at the high-roller table with NYY, they can't nickel-and-dime it.

2. Superior, Aloof fans - What is it with this Red Sox Nation crap?? Where did all these bandwagoneers come from?? All of a sudden, everyone is a Sox fan? 10 years ago there wasn't this type of fanaticism...now in most visiting stadiums there are more Sox 'fans' than home team fans. Unless y'all been in hiding for the last 10+ years.. I call bullshit.

The bandwagon fans are obnoxious. The Sox have always had a decent national following with all the transplanted New Englanders out there, but since 2004 it's gotten ridiculous. There's a bunch of new fans, and just like the bandwagon jumpers that followed the Lakers/Cowboys/49ers/Bulls/Yankees in the last 25 years or so, they tend to be arrogant pricks. You can understand why...their teams never lose (because when they do, they pick a new one). It's compounded by the growing group of bandwagon Pats fans...so I've got douchebags making me look bad as a football & baseball fan.

3. Media coverage - The Yankees used to get all the press...now the Red Sox also dominate the coverage East coast..west coast..north...south..it doesn't matter. Gets tiresome watching Papelbon doing his river dance as a piece story or Manny declaring that if he doesn't care if they win there is always next year.

It's just because they're good, so the media looks for stories about them. The media jumps the bandwagon just like fans do. I know it's got to be annoying as hell. I know how sick of the Yankees I got, and a lot of it was the media. So I guess in a bandwagon fan/media attention respect we are turning in to the Yankees. It kind of sucks...but it beats losing.

The OOTS said:

Huh. Nobody complained about the Baltimore Orioles' or the Atlanta Braves' salaries in the late 90s, or the Toronto Blue Jays' salaries in the early 90s.

This really is a far smaller deal than it is made out to be. Teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland etc. have been competitive for years with relatively low payrolls. The combination of low-hype college/minor league baseball and MLB's restrictive free agency rules means that it's possible to sign talented young players for pennies.

There are at least a hundred colleges and universities in the New England area. People go to school there, become Red Sox fans, and carry their allegiance wherever they end up. And it's not like this is a recent phenomenon -- the boom started with the 1967 "Impossible Dream" Red Sox team and has continued unabated ever since.

speedracer said:

This really is a far smaller deal than it is made out to be. Teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland etc. have been competitive for years with relatively low payrolls. The combination of low-hype college/minor league baseball and MLB's restrictive free agency rules means that it's possible to sign talented young players for pennies.

I guess I feel teams with homegrown, nurtured talent and are competitive have my respect. Teams that throw tons of money to the best ballplayers money can buy to win championships do not. Like I said, its great if it's your team spending the cash.

CTU2fan perhaps has it right. Boston had to inflate itself and its image to compete and survive with the Yankees.

Unfortunately, that is what is wrong with baseball and it's only going to get worse. Major market teams will own a majority of the 8 playoff spots year after year.

As for fans, I don't doubt that Boston has a hardcore group of devoted fans around the country. It is only in the more recent years that these 'new' knucklehead fans have jumped on board, sat in visiting ballparks in droves, and claim themselves to be Red Sox Nation because it is cool.

What a disappointing fucking post-season. 4 Division series, 2 LCS and one World Series, and of the 7 of 'em, only one had any modicum of drama. Then I have to watch Dice-K get a fucking hit. I'm not bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom