The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh come on that last one was a freaking ESPN spot.

It does make me feel a bit dirty though...

I fell asleep in the 4th inning of the game yesterday and didn't wake up again until 9:30 this morning.

Kinda glad I passed out when I did...

:uhoh:

:hmm:

BREAKING NEWS: GATORADE-GATE?
Last year it was Kenny Rogers and pine tar. This year could it be Manny Corpas and Gatorade?

That's the question that has conspiracy theorists and uniform obsessives buzzing today, after Corpas, the Rockies' closer, appeared to be engaging in a very unusual bit of sartorial adjustment prior to coming into Wednesday's game. During the top of the ninth inning, TBS cameras showed Corpas buttoning up his jersey. Then he stood up and grabbed a Gatorade cup. At first it looked like he was taking a drink, but instead he leaned back and deposited the cup's contents onto his chest, which he then examined and rubbed with his pitching hand.

Nefarious doings, or just a case of the dribbles? According to this report, Corpas "appeared to go to that spot [on his jersey] before several of his pitches in order to get a better grip on the baseball," but that seems a little strong. A review of the game video shows only one clear instance of this, and that's after Corpas had stepped back off the rubber and leaned down to rub some dirt onto his hand, which he subsequently wiped on his pants and then on his jersey's mystery spot -- all perfectly legal, assuming there was nothing sticky on his jersey.

But that may be a big assumption. For now, two things are certain: First, a lot of eyes will be on Corpas if he warms up during today's game. And this is probably the best free promotion Gatorade's gotten since the advent of the victory dunk.
--Paul Lukas | e-mail

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

Unless he's putting Vaseline on the ball or something like that, nobody in the game is going to make a huge fuss about it.

As I understand it, lots of pitchers use pine tar and other sticky substances to help them grip the ball, and it seems to be tacitly accepted throughout baseball. If one manager requests a formal inspection in a playoff game and gets an opposing pitcher ejected, then there will be retaliation, and eventually neither team will have any pitchers left. Sort of a Mutual Assured Destruction scenario.

there's a poll on espn page2 about lebron and the yankee hat.

the question: why did lebron james where a yankees hat to jacobs field?

the choices:
1) he's too politicaly correct to wear cheif wahoo
2) he's trying to impress "mystique" and "aura"
3) he wants to be like tom brady
4) he's an idiot

he's an idiot has 71% of the vote. i concur :up:

Can I vote twice? Because 4 is a no-brainer, but everybody wants to be like Tom Brady.

I'm a hypocrite too Dalton, except I don't mind cheating hitters either if it's corked bats. PED's turn me off, though I'm not sure how much they help anyway...but corking bats, scuffing balls, spitballs - that stuff to me just adds more theater to the game. It's especially funny when they're caught, I remember Joe Neikro getting busted and he had enough nail files and emery boards in his pants, he could start a salon. That crap is just funny. Or when Albert Belle had the corked bat and the Tribe were trying to hide his bat? Great stuff.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
there's a poll on espn page2 about lebron and the yankee hat.

the question: why did lebron james where a yankees hat to jacobs field?

the choices:
1) he's too politicaly correct to wear cheif wahoo
2) he's trying to impress "mystique" and "aura"
3) he wants to be like tom brady
4) he's an idiot

he's an idiot has 71% of the vote. i concur :up:

5) New York strippers are WAY hotter than Cleveland strippers.

I'd vote for number 5. A 'stripper' in Cleveland is a sheep after it was shaved....

When you're a Cleveland stripper, what's the next step up, like, on your way to Vegas or NY? Cincy? Indy? Toledo? Maybe Philly? I just don't know.

I do know that Lebron is an idiot, though. Clown. Then again, you try leading that pack of scrubs to the Finals.

Its never really a step 'up' is it?

stripper.jpg

Just think how much tougher their jobs got after the Sox won the world series and couldn't trot out the same recycled Curse of the Bambano articles.

DaveC said:

I thought that was such a bullshit storyline.

I still want Charlie Manuel's job for this. He should give money back to the team for all of his bullshit. Say what you want about chemistry, but when push comes to shove, a fucking moron is a fucking moron, and if that fucking moron is making tough decisions ... you're fucking screwed.

Wow. The Indians just put together the worst three consecutive at-bats in the history of mankind after a leadoff triple.

Thanks for the close up shots of the gants laying eggs on Joba's neck, TBS. I never thought anything during this broadcast could make me sicker than Tony Gwynn.

And as usual, the Dice-man is on pace to throw 246 pitches in 5 innings.

The way things are going, the Indians are going to have to steal home to score.

I'm kind of surprised by Dice-K so far. I know this performance isn't out of the ordinary from what we've seen this year, but I really thought the extra rest, and the fact that the Angels have never faced him, really would've given him a major advantage.

Hasn't happened.

I'm a believer again

From Larry Shenk's (Phillies PR VP) daily blog:

There's Still Hope

October 5, 2007

There’s still hope, believe me.

Yes, the 2001 Yankees are the only team to rebound from 0-2 to win the series. So, it is time for it to happen in the NL. We certainly are capable of winning three in a row.

Friday in Denver
81 degrees greeted the Phillies on a sunny afternoon at Coors Field. The Phillies worked out at 1 this afternoon, the Rockies three hours later.

Flight here was last night was fine, except for about an hour delay while on the Philly runway. We got to the hotel around 1 a.m., EDT.

Clubhouse was opened to the media at 12 noon. Charlie and Jamie Moyer did the interview room at 2:30.

Players went about their business as usual before working out. Moyer sat alone by his locker reading USA TODAY and several magazines; several players spent time in the work out room; Howard, Dobbs, Rollins, Victorino, Hamels, Myers, Gordon, Romero did group interviews; Burrell and Billmeyer played cards; Alfonseca was his usual self, needling his teammates; Utley spent a lot of time in the video room watching tapes of tomorrow night’s starter, RHP Ubaldo Jimenez; Condrey spent time with a crossword puzzle; others were working on sudoku.

Panic wasn’t anywhere.

Different Reception
The perception of the 2007 Phillies and 1993 Phillies is at extremes.

In 1993 when we arrived in Atlanta, a newspaper headline read, “Get the women and children off the streets, the Phillies are here.” That was the reputation of the team, a bunch of bearded, gruff, wild bunch of misfits who just knew how to play baseball.

Back on July 8 this year in Denver, the current Phillies helped rescue some Coors Field groundskeepers who got caught under the tarp during a storm. While there were no headlines in the Denver papers, fans out here still remember the Phillies heroics.

I’m sure TBS will show a clip of it tomorrow.

Coste to Coast
Chris’ comments will return tomorrow. In response to some inquiries, his book Catching The Dream is scheduled to come the presses next spring training.

At least he has another chapter to add to the book.

October 05, 2007 | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://philliesinsider.mlblogs.com/

I still think we can do it...the Phils can win 3 games in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom