The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #271
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Big Grin

Gagne would fit in well with the Phillies bullpen...almost.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:10 AM
It's strange that Gagne has really done this bad since the trade. I thought he would come around eventually, but it never happened.

Now he's just along for the ride and may get a ring for doing absolutely nothing.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #273
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
Gagne would fit in well with the Phillies bullpen...almost.
Sad but true.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 AM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
It's strange that Gagne has really done this bad since the trade. I thought he would come around eventually, but it never happened.

Now he's just along for the ride and may get a ring for doing absolutely nothing.
He looked pretty good for the first three batters -- strikeout, hit, then a filthy changeup that Kenny Lofton somehow poked into center field for a hit and stretched into a double when Crisp and Drew took their sweet time fetching the ball. After that, he started going all over the place, as has happened before.

It seems that he has good pitches, but as soon as something goes wrong he starts losing his confidence and missing the strike zone.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:10 AM
Yeah the velocity was definitely there yesterday (though that was a fast gun IMO) and so is the offspeed stuff. I can't figure it out. Though McArver mentioned him shaking his arm etc after pitches so maybe there's something wrong in there. If so take him off the roster and add Tavarez.

Good news is the good relievers (Delcarmen, Oki, Papelbon) will be well-rested for tonight if/when needed, though Cleveland's (Betancourt, Perez) are too.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Bases fecking loaded walks.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Is CC dead after pitching 250 innings this year or is he just crapping his pants because it's the playoffs?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

He looked a little bat-shy to me. On some of those at-bats he would get ahead and try to get the hitters to chase, instead of just trusting his stuff and throwing a 3rd strike. I think he had Manny down 0-2 twice.

After he mowed them down in the 2nd I figured for sure they'd blown their chance to get to him when Lowell hit into that DP in the 1st...but then he started walking people and getting behind.

Oh and did anyone else notice the DP Peralta hit into? The ball wasn't hit that hard and I figured they'd be lucky to turn 2 - but he was out at 1B and it wasn't close. Looked like he was jogging down the line as he came into the picture at 1st.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Bases fecking loaded walks.
You know what though....Paplebon creates similar drama too.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

You know what though....Paplebon creates similar drama too.
Ok, well, he gave up those two walks against LAA...but on the season has a 0.77 WHIP.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Ok, well, he gave up those two walks against LAA...but on the season has a 0.77 WHIP.
Drama...not just walks. He finds a way to close it (thankfully), but often finds a way to put people on. He is fun to watch.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

I sit there and stare at Chief Wahoo and cannot help but think of this art exhibit I saw a few years ago.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Drama...not just walks. He finds a way to close it (thankfully), but often finds a way to put people on. He is fun to watch.
29/60 of Papelbon's appearances this season were clean (no baserunners).

24/70 of Mariano Rivera's appearances were clean.

31/68 of Joe Nathan's appearances were clean.

Papelbon has a lower WHIP (walks + hits per innings pitched) than Rivera and Nathan.

All of these statistics are easily accessible on ESPN.

I think your perception of Papelbon may be colored by a few specific appearances. He's clearly one of the top closers in MLB by any measure.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
He's clearly one of the top closers in MLB by any measure.
Have I stated anything differently? I am not sure why you are making all of this effort to prove something here. You seem a bit defensive for some reason. I am not questioning his ability or stating FACT.

My perception is based purely on the games I have watched this season and living with a diehard Red Sox fan (who I am faithfully feeding text messages with game updates do to her unfortunate work schedule). Multiple family members of said roomie (all New Englanders and die hards) have even mentioned "the Paplebon Drama."

Armed with your research, I will make sure that they clearly know that their perceptions have no merit. Thank you for your efforts.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Have I stated anything differently? I am not sure why you are making all of this effort to prove something here. You seem a bit defensive ofr some reason. I am not questioning his ability or stating FACT.
In explaining Papelbon's games as "dramatic", you stated that he "finds a way to put baserunners on". I thought that was what you meant when you called him "dramatic".

Quote:

My perception is based purely on the games I have watched this season and living with a diehard Red Sox fan (who I am faithfully feeding text messages with game updates do to her unfortunate work schedule). Multiple family members of said roomie (all New Englanders and die hards) have even mentioned "the Paplebon Drama."
How many Sox games have you watched this season? (Not challenging you here, just curious.)

Quote:

Armed with your research, I will make sure that they clearly know that their perceptions are clearly have no merit. Thank you for your efforts.
I know you're being sarcastic here...but please do.

I visit Red Sox boards frequently, and it is really quite amazing how pessimistic/nervous/crazy a lot of Red Sox fans still get when anything goes wrong. Schilling gives up the lead in the 4th inning against the Indians tonight, and everyone says "crap, there goes the game" even though Boston's down by only 1 and Carmona is gassed. Papelbon puts a runner or two on, and everyone says "WTF, why can't he strike out the side on 6 pitches like he's supposed to", etc. Seriously, it's like 2004 never happened.