The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4 - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Sorry philly fans, you guys can't win for losing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 PM
He wouldn't be so bad if he deferred to the rest of the coaching staff on in-game decisions. He's a good motivator and he knows how to get players ready, but his in-game decisions (pinch hitters/runners, pitcher changes, etc) are absolutely awful.

Still don't really know how I feel about this...

Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #228
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by powerhour24
I don't get everyone referring to Cleveland as a small market club, they have some of the most faithful fans, and have been there for over 100 years (longer than the Yankees have been around) anyone take in a game at Jacobs Field and see the sports' press around them and then call them small market, maybe the city of Cleveland is when compared to others, but not in a sports sense.
please...

the green bay packers are one of the most historic names in all of sport. they have a hardcore fanbase that sell out lambau field year after year after year.

and in the current sports climate, if not for the NFL's CBA, they would no longer exist, because the market they play in could not allow them to compete with the rest of the league for players.

fans, ultimately, play a second fiddle to the financial well being of a modern day sports franchise. it's all about advertising money, tv revenue and luxary boxes... which is where the city's actuall size and population comes into effect. the more people the franchise reaches, the more money the franchise brings in in advertising revenue, the more money they have to spend on players, etc. etc. etc.

on top of that, you can charge more money for ticket prices in large markets because there's more of a sample to draw from.

boston it's self, in reality, is a small market... but boston teams draw from the entire region of new england, which allow them to compete with the big boys. if, per say, portland, maine was a bigger market and had a few pro sport teams to draw away from boston, there's no way that boston could be as competitive as they are.

so yea... long answer to a short statement. cleveland is most certainly a small market team, but one that doesn't bitch and whine about it and does the best job they can with what they have.

i'm done now. honest.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i'm done now. honest.
I don't believe you.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This is strange to say since, as a Sox fan, I truly hate the Yankees as much as anybody can hate a sports team (and yes, sports "hate" is not the same as real hate...

Seeing the Yankees lose on Monday brought me no joy. I usually revel in Yankee losing (yes it's pathetic, but having 1918 rammed down your throat for your entire baseball-watching life brings out some bitterness), most notably when Luis Gonzalez became an honorary member of Red Sox Nation in 2001. But Monday's loss to what was in all actuality a better team was nothing to cheer about, because it most likely marked the end of the Joe Torre era in New York. Watching the postgame interviews of the losing clubs is always pretty depressing, but seeing Torre at the podium it was pretty clear that he expects to be gone. It's too bad. Joe Torre brought pride back to a historically great and proud franchise (not alone of course), and listening to the postgame of the Yankee radio broadcast I got the sense that everyone realizes this is the end of an era in the Bronx.

Joe Torre has been a worthy opponent; I think I'll actually miss the guy. Even though I think the Yankees will be worse without him, which is fine with me, seeing the Yankees without Joe in charge will be strange. What will be even odder is seeing Torre managing some other club next year (I kind of think he'll hang it up, but if he gets the right opportunity...), it'll be like seeing a star player switch teams (remember those Dan Marion to the Vikings rumors? WTF...Marino on the Vikings)

Of course I'd probably be a lot less pragmatic and a lot more smug & snotty if the Sox hadn't won in '04 and/or had lost to the Angels.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
it'll be like seeing a star player switch teams (remember those Dan Marion to the Vikings rumors? WTF...Marino on the Vikings)

Marino on the Vikings...as implausible as Montana on the Chiefs or Bobby Orr on the Blackhawks or pre-murder OJ on the 49ers or Namath on the Rams or Babe Ruth on the Braves or Hank Aaron on the Brewers or...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #232
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Franco Harris on the Seahawks. Man, that bothered the fuck out of me.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #233
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Franco Harris on the Seahawks. Man, that bothered the fuck out of me.

buggggggg
Old 10-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #234
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
He wouldn't be so bad if he deferred to the rest of the coaching staff on in-game decisions. He's a good motivator and he knows how to get players ready, but his in-game decisions (pinch hitters/runners, pitcher changes, etc) are absolutely awful.

Still don't really know how I feel about this...
He's an excellent manager in the sense that he works very well with the players.

He can't make a lineup or a substitution. He just can't. He doesn't have the decision making skills.

Still, I'm glad they're spending more money this year, because with their terrible judging of talent, a few extra million could possibly heal some mistakes if they get lucky.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

buggggggg
Notice he's heading straight out of bounds.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

He's an excellent manager in the sense that he works very well with the players.

He can't make a lineup or a substitution. He just can't. He doesn't have the decision making skills.
Charlie Manuel is Philadelphian for Grady Little?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #237
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Notice he's heading straight out of bounds.
Fuck you both.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #238
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Suzyn Waldman