The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man that's just wrong...though with the Tshirts I've seen around Boston on game day yours would probably just blend in. I dunno, I always thought "Jeter Swallows" was a tad over the top...

well that's where i got the idea from... the t-shirts that red sox fans would wear. i mean, i've seen the occasional "boston sucks" t-shirt on a yankee fan, but not like the t-shirts that red sox fans were wearing about various things going in and out of jeter/a-rod's mouth and ass.

thus where the "pedro molests midgets" shirt came from. i think i still have it somewhere :hmm:

i hear brokeback jeter is the latest cute one... so clever.

Yankee fans. We're loud and crude and have a sense of entitlement and all that shit....but we're obsessed with our team winning, not with some other losing. I never have and never will understand why Red Sox fans don't just focus on how good or bad their teams is. I'd so much rather wear a Yankee shirt than a "Manny sucks" shirt. And, my Father's side of the family are all Sox fans, they are littered all over Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Eh.

I have had a lot of angry, naughty words for the Mariners in the past week or so, but somehow I am amazed to see we're only 1 game out of the Wild Card lead.

How did THAT happen? Whatever the answer, I'm just happy to see we're still in the hunt.

I had forgotten what that winning feelings feels like! I don't have high expectations, but I hope they can take this series from the Yankees.

And Ichiro became the 8th player in baseball history to get 200 hits in seven or more seasons. Fantastic! Pete Rose holds the all-time record at 10 seasons with 200 hits. I wouldn't put it past Ichiro to tie or break that record.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
pedro's back.

Talk about a signing that worked out well for both teams. He reinvigorated the Mets franchise (although with this last injury, I still don't think he was worth as much as he got, but whatever) and helped make them contenders again.

And the Red Sox, besides being able to use the money elsewhere, got a decent compensation pick for losing him...

Clay Buchholz.

Works for me.

i have a question for our sawk fans...

would you rather have

a) mike lowell and josh beckett

or

b) hanley ramirez (and his future) and the huge salary number that beckett and lowell make, which of course could be spent on another pitcher, although that pitcher might not be as good as beckett...

:hmm:
If I may answer.

About this time last year when Anibal Sanchez threw his no hitter, Beckett was struggling, Lowell was cooling off and Hanley was dominating, the answer was easily b.

A year later, the answer is a.

Beckett is a legit Cy Young candidate this year (that race is still wide open thanks in large part to Johann Santana being human in 2007), and frankly Mike Lowell is a legit MVP candidate. We all know Arod will win it, but Lowell's numers, .333 18 HR 101 RBI currently, on the best team in baseball (sorry John Lackey), make him worthy of a top 5, probably top 3 finish. If Arod hadn't had the April he had, Lowell might be odds on favorite, especially considering the production drop offs from Manny and Ortiz.

The salary for both is quite palatable this year, Lowell has proven that 2005 was the aberration and will get a decent offer (whether its from the Sox remains to be seen) this winter, and Beckett's extension looks like a stroke of brilliance by Epstein in this the Gil Meche era of MLB.

Hanley Ramirez has turned out to be better than advertised, and he was advertised as the Sox' top prospect, so thats saying something. I'd love to have him in Boston, but it was a price worth paying to get an ace type pitcher like Beckett, its much easier to find a shortstop than a frontline starter. Heck the Red Sox have gone out and found 73 shortstops since trading Nomar in 2004.
And Sanchez has become persona non grata in FLA after his no no, so not concerned about his addition to the deal tilting the scale in the south's favor.

No spoken words said:
Yankee fans. We're loud and crude and have a sense of entitlement and all that shit....but we're obsessed with our team winning, not with some other losing. I never have and never will understand why Red Sox fans don't just focus on how good or bad their teams is. I'd so much rather wear a Yankee shirt than a "Manny sucks" shirt. And, my Father's side of the family are all Sox fans, they are littered all over Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Eh.

Ah maybe you're right...I haven't heard a "1918" chant in 3 years :)

Seriously, a lot of Sox fans get annoyed by the "Yankees Suck" chant and various other ones, and the vulgar shirts. It makes us look like idiots sometimes. But I think it's toned down some lately (winning helped). I also think the fans in the Bronx were much worse pre-Torre, when they weren't winning. It's all cyclical...when the team loses you have the bitter/nasty chants, and when they win you have the smug/entitlement fans. It's the same group, and I don't think they're even the majority, but they're so loud that it seems like they are.

Hewson said:
.....but Lowell's numers... on the best team in baseball (sorry John Lackey)...

Uh, no.

Angels have a deeper pitching staff and a deeper bench than the Red Sox - now that most of the team is healthy (with the exception of Figgins, and he should be back in a matter of days).

Nope, the Angels are in fact a better team than the Red Sox right now. Sox fans will learn that real good come October.

Yeah, well, 4 days ago the Angels had a better record than the Red Sox. So I guess the Angels were only the best team in baseball on Friday. :shrug:

phanan said:

Talk about a signing that worked out well for both teams. He reinvigorated the Mets franchise (although with this last injury, I still don't think he was worth as much as he got, but whatever) and helped make them contenders again.

signing pedro made the mets relevant again... without pedro, beltran and later wagner never would have signed, it's likely they never would have traded for delgado and loduca, and heck, who knows if wright and reyes would have been so quick to sign long term deals if not for the revival of the franchise. the trades that landed el duque, john maine and oliver perez? likely wouldn't have occured.

sure, it's possible some of this could have still happened without pedro's signing, and they may have been able to bring someone else in to get the ball rolling... but there aren't many dynamic personalities out there to match that of pedro martinez... and without giving him that 4th year, he never would have signed with the mets.

without throwing a pitch, he's been worth every penny they gave him. anything he does performance wise is gravy.

I think you're giving Pedro too much credit there and not enough to Minaya, who's a pretty good GM. Does the presence of Pedro help? Absolutely. Is Pedro the main reason for some of moves that occurred after? I don't think so.

And speaking of Mets, watching Jacoby Ellsbury for the Red Sox, and the spark he brings, reminds me of Jose Reyes. If he's not the everyday leadoff hitter for them next year, then something's not right.

He needs a double to hit for the cycle tonight.

I know it's a small sampling, but Jacoby looks like real player. He's making the most of his September trip up to Boston. It's going to be fun watching him roam around the outfield in the coming years.

phanan said:
I think you're giving Pedro too much credit there and not enough to Minaya, who's a pretty good GM. Does the presence of Pedro help? Absolutely. Is Pedro the main reason for some of moves that occurred after? I don't think so.

i have to disagree... minaya's a great GM don't get me wrong, and of course he deserves the credit for bringing pedro in in the first place... but if pedro martinez never signs with new york, carlos beltran never signs with the mets.

once pedro signed, beltran signed, and it was a domino effect from there.

you don't quite understand what a joke the mets had become in this town... pedro changed that instantly. and yes, it was omar's signing, and i give him all the credit in the world as well. but pedro brought a buzz to the stadium instantly... sure, it would have gotten there again eventually as the team got better... but it was there over night because of pedro. while the team was averaging in the low 20's per night in 2004, they were averaging at least 45,000 a night in every start pedro made at home, mostly on walk ups, many times selling out. the extra tickets sold on days that pedro pitched in that first season alone? add 'em all up... they equaled the amount of the 4th year on the contract. so long story short... he's already paid for himself and then some, in more ways than one.

and one more thing... i'm not alone in the thought that the mets performance since pedro rejoined the team friday night, right after that dreadful performance in philly, and their performance since then are related.

Last edited:
Don't forget, Pedro also brought David Ortiz to the Sox...

i have to disagree... minaya's a great GM don't get me wrong, and of course he deserves the credit for bringing pedro in in the first place... but if pedro martinez never signs with new york, carlos beltran never signs with the mets.

you don't quite understand what a joke the mets had become in this town... pedro changed that instantly. and yes, it was omar's signing, and i give him all the credit in the world as well. but pedro brought a buzz to the stadium instantly... sure, it would have gotten there again eventually as the team got better... but it was there over night because of pedro. while the team was averaging in the low 20's per night in 2004, they were averaging at least 45,000 a night in every start pedro made at home, mostly on walk ups, many times selling out. the extra tickets sold on days that pedro pitched in that first season alone? add 'em all up... they equaled the amount of the 4th year on the contract. so long story short... he's already paid for himself and then some, in more ways than one.

Like I said, I agree that having Pedro has helped, and maybe it did facilitate the Mets rise from mediocrity a little faster, but something tells me Omar still would have turned the franchise around with or without him. Maybe it would have taken a bit longer, yes, but I still think they would've made significant improvement.

and one more thing... i'm not alone in the thought that the mets performance since pedro rejoined the team friday night, right after that dreadful performance in philly, and their performance since then are related.

18716pedrochrist.jpg

SeattleVertigo said:
Oh yay. Mariners give up 20 hits and lose 12-3 to the Yankees. They so need to get their act together.

At least the Red Sox seem pretty safe right now.

That second game sucked, but if I were the Mariners, I'd be thrilled with taking 2 games out of 3 at Yankee Stadium (which stands a good chance of happening).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom