The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey what does your avi say MrsSpringsteen. I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan. It looks funny.

And about Clay Bucholz (sp?), AMAZING no-hitter. I'm sure he's really proud of himself. And did those of you watching it on tv, hear Beckett yelling, "Better than Curt Schilling did, better than Curt Schilling did!!!" :lol:

Dalton said:

I think that really was Peyton posting here. The blue crack is very attractive to celebrities - the Edge posted here, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning post here, I post here ....

The list goes on and on really.

:tsk: what, no love?

it's always about peyton :sad:

Hewson said:
Hi John, I see here: baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=lackejo01&t=p

that you have pitched twice against Boston this season, on April 13 you lost 10-1, and on August 17, you lost 8-4...

Bwahahaha... Who cares? We'll end up with the best record in baseball and home field advantage in the playoffs. The Red Sox are done. :yes:

Bonogirl777 said:
Hey what does your avi say MrsSpringsteen. I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan. It looks funny.

Looks like Terry Francona's head glued onto Elmer Fudd's body, saying "shh...I'm hunting the fashion police." Surely this is a reference to the game last week where some MLB underling came into the Red Sox dugout to inspect Tito's uniform while the game was live.

And about Clay Bucholz (sp?), AMAZING no-hitter. I'm sure he's really proud of himself. And did those of you watching it on tv, hear Beckett yelling, "Better than Curt Schilling did, better than Curt Schilling did!!!" :lol:

I believe his last name is spelled Buchhhhhholz, but I'm not sure.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i have a question for our sawk fans...

would you rather have

a) mike lowell and josh beckett

or

b) hanley ramirez (and his future) and the huge salary number that beckett and lowell make, which of course could be spent on another pitcher, although that pitcher might not be as good as beckett...

:hmm:

Given that it woulda cost $13MM to get AJ Burnett in 2006, $10MM to get Gil Meche and $16MM to get Andy Pettitte in 2007, I'm gonna have to go with A.

But having Hanley Ramirez this year woulda been nice, if for no other reason than that Manny certainly would have gotten confused and gone up to the batter's box during one of Hanley's at-bats at least once during the season.

Last edited:
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/Red_Sox_Contract_Status

Beckett is actually very cheap this year, only about $6MM, going up to 9.5, 10 and 12 in the next 3 years. Lowell is $9MM but done after this year. So for just this year, Beckett and Lowell together are cheaper than Ape Tit.

Hanley is making near the league minimum this year, but presumably the Red Sox would offer him a reasonable deal or arbitration after 2 years if he keeps his pace up.

Last edited:
philadelphia may have acomplished the opposite of what they wanted to do with that sweep... wake up the mets.

It doesn't help that they lost 2 of 3 to Florida.

The Jersey shore was absolutely buzzing with the Phils Friday after the sweep. I drove down Thursday night listening to the Phightin's and nearly drove off the road when Iguchi tied it. Then, Durbin ... then, some questionable umpiring mixed with Adam Eaton and the team's desire to let him finish six so he could possibly get a win. Ow.

i have a question for our sawk fans...

would you rather have

a) mike lowell and josh beckett

or

b) hanley ramirez (and his future) and the huge salary number that beckett and lowell make, which of course could be spent on another pitcher, although that pitcher might not be as good as beckett...

:hmm:

I would also say A due to the bargain Beckett's extension has become. The Sox got it done in the middle of last year, despite his struggles adjusting to the American League. Then the offseason comes and salaries go through the roof. Now it looks like a steal.

And Lowell ended up being a decent add-on, so in retrospect, A is the better choice.

I would probably also choose A, because Josh Beckett appears to be a legit ace and they will be increasingly hard to come by. The thing about still having Hanley is, not only did you not take on the contract of Lowell & Beckett, but you also save yourself paying Julio Lugo. In that scenario I guess Youkilis is playing 3B and they've acquired some other 1B (Helton perhaps?).

Re: spelling BucHHolz...2 H's in his name, none in his game :)

Pedro goes today, hope he does well...the Reds aren't very good but they can hit so it will be a test.

John Lackey said:

Bwahahaha... Who cares? We'll end up with the best record in baseball and home field advantage in the playoffs. The Red Sox are done. :yes:
I see your team got beat by the last place Rangers in the game you started last night John. Wow you really are taking the pipe when it counts. Must suck incredibly hard to be you right about now.

it's an interesting debate... i don't know if the sox could have found someone to fill beckett's role this season, although the rest of their pitching has been pretty good as well.

hanley ramirez is a beast... of the three headed shortstop battle royale in the NL East, even as someone who loooooves Jose Reyes, I have to give the nod to ramirez... his numbers are ridiculous (although his fielding needs a tad bit of work).

ramirez (23 years old): .333, 24 HRs, 67 RBIs, 106 runs, 43 steals, .388 obp, 21 errors
rollins (28 years old): .299, 24 HRs, 79 RBIs, 119 runs, 28 steals, .350 obp, 9 errors
reyes (24 years old): .295, 10 HRs, 49 RBIs, 102 rubs, 74 steals, .369 obp, 8 errors

Last edited:
Rollins' stats suffer from two things: he doesn't take walks and Manuel doesn't like to steal.

As a hitter, he's just insane. His numbers steadily improve over the course of every season. He'll finish this year with a .310 average and about 30 homers.

Reyes is a better baserunner (at least statistically, just look at those numbers), Ramirez is more consistent at the plate, but Rollins has the most gap power, scores a ton of runs, and has to be the best fielder, based on what I've seen.

phillyfan26 said:
Rollins' stats suffer from two things: he doesn't take walks and Manuel doesn't like to steal.

As a hitter, he's just insane. His numbers steadily improve over the course of every season. He'll finish this year with a .310 average and about 30 homers.

Reyes is a better baserunner (at least statistically, just look at those numbers), Ramirez is more consistent at the plate, Rollins has the most gap power, and Rollins has to be the best fielder.

well... rollins and reyes are at least even as far as fielding goes (reyes actually has the higher fielding percentage... and i for one think he's better but of course i'm partial)... but i have to give the power nod to ramirez. rollins has great power numbers and not to take anything away from him but he plays half his games in a band box, where as the same can not be said about dolphin stadium, which has traditionaly been a pitcher's paradise.

and reyes is deffinetly the better baserunner... he's gonna end up in the mid to upper 80s this season. no one's stolen bases like him since his first base coach.

I'm just basing his gap power on the number of extra-base hits he gets. He's been getting almost a double a game for the past couple of weeks, I think he leads the Majors in extra-base hits. But the point is, they're all very good players.

Although, Rollins makes a couple "Wow!" plays in the field every game, so I've always thought that was the difference that made me feel he was the best.

I think part of me is defending him this much just because I think he's terribly underrated, and that everyone here takes him for granted. He's so good on a day-to-day basis, yet all anyone can talk about is Ryan Howard. :shrug:

I think Howard is one of the worst players on the Phillies. He regularly hurts them more than anything with his poor fielding, constant striking out, and lack of hustle. Last year, he was fantastic, and then suddenly he started doing what Burrell did up until July of this year, by trying to pull a homer every time up. He can't see the ball.

My top ten, right now:

1. Chase Utley
2. Jimmy Rollins
3. Jayson Werth
4. Cole Hamels (who conveniantly is hurt)
5. Aaron Rowand
6. Pat Burrell
7. Tadahito Iguchi (who conveniantly isn't starting)
8. Greg Dobbs
9. Shane Victorino
10. Kyle Kendrick

If I were Uncle Charlie, I'd bench Howard as a wake up call (and he does look asleep about half the time), play Dobbs at first, and put Iguchi at third base.

Just looking at Hanley's play I can imagine him maybe being over-criticized and suffering if he'd stayed here. Those mounting E's would have gotten a ton of attention; the Boston media can be pretty negative and the Johnny Burger Kings [/Keith Foulke] buy right into it.

As for the Phils, I'm an Utley man myself...

Oh and did anyone see the Pedroia play getting Tejada during Buchholz' no-no? He clearly yells "Fuck yeah!" after getting the out. I'm getting to like that little dude.

phillyfan26 said:
I think Howard is one of the worst players on the Phillies.

i wouldn't quite go that far...

i take rollins and utley over him simply because
a) he's comicly bad in the field and is probably destined for the american league at some point
b) he simply isn't the same hitter against lefties

that said... uh yea, i think i'd take him over jayson werth.

Utley and Rollins are better pretty much in everything except for pure power. That's really all Howard has going for him, considering his problems seeing pitches (breaking balls in the dirt, left or right handed, strike him out 95% of the time).

sitting on 2,998 Ks

capt.9c16e00ceca6412580a8e160dde6546f.mets_martinez_baseball_gags112.jpg

Is Howard that bad? I don't see much of him being an NL player...

He doesn't seem all that mobile...he kind of reminds me of David Ortiz without the whole "Big Papi" persona and mythical clutch hitting.

^Firing up XM radio to follow Petey...ESPN sucks for now showing this game.

If you had him, you'd find him incredibly frustrating. He doesn't hustle, he can't see any pitches, and he kills you in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom