The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha ha ... I'd love to see some of the local commercials the various teams come up with. The Mariners have had some really great ones in past years ... they've been mostly less funny in the last year or two, but there's usually one that makes me chuckle. Usually featuring Ichiro. :wink:

Damn Red Sox -- is it almost football season yet? <laughing>

Seattle has lots of great sports history.

Basketball: The 1979 Sonics championship; Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp making the 1995 finals; and Kevin Durant, a legend-in-the-making. The Storm: 2004 championship.

Baseball: Ken Griffey Jr. and the million great things he accomplished; Randy Johnson and his dominance; Ichiro and his hits record; the team tying for the best regular season record ever in 2001; Edgar Martinez.

Football: Steve Largent, Shawn Alexander and reaching the Superbowl a couple years ago. Yeah, our professional football hasn't been great over the years. Washington Huskies used to be pretty dominant.

Seattle's sports history isn't as rich as some cities, of course, but a lot richer than others.

Oh, and yeah, Jamie Moyer is a classy guy. We could use him in our rotation right now.

Dear Terry,

Our asses are getting splinters from sitting on the bench so much. Please put us in the game.

Sincerely,

The Red Sox bullpen

Yeah, I have to agree that Seattle's not really a sports town. WNBA doesn't count, because most sports fans don't give a rat's ass about WNBA.

And this is the town that barely cared enough about baseball to keep the Mariners in Seattle until 1995. Yeah, they sucked, but people weren't chomping at the bit for baseball in Seattle. Not until things got exciting.

corianderstem said:
Yeah, I have to agree that Seattle's not really a sports town. WNBA doesn't count, because most sports fans don't give a rat's ass about WNBA.

And this is the town that barely cared enough about baseball to keep the Mariners in Seattle until 1995. Yeah, they sucked, but people weren't chomping at the bit for baseball in Seattle. Not until things got exciting.

Well, it is true that we're a bit of a fair-weather sports town, but I think that's the case in most cities. (Green Bay may be an exception.) I'd think we're about average in that regard.

The Key was a totally rocking and rolling place back in the '90s when Kemp and Payton ruled the court. The Seahawks and Mariners certainly fill the stadiums these days.

I know a lot of Seattlites would rather be outdoors doing things than watching sports. I like both! <smile>

Last edited:
SeattleVertigo said:
Kevin Durant, a legend-in-the-making.

slllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllow down...

let's let him play, oh i don't know, a minute of NBA basketball before we start anointing him with legendary status. he had one good season of college basketball in which his nationaly ranked team was bounced early from the NCAA tournament by a lower seed... hardly Larry Bird type stuff.

and besides... if he does become a legend, he'll likely be doing it in oklahoma city...

Villanova completely shut him down. Scottie Reynolds guarded him for the second half (he's 6-0), and allowed him 1 point. So, I'm not convinced at all about Durant.

it certainly would be nice if the mets, oh i dunno, remembered how to hit in big games.

it's like the NLCS all over again... the pitching is certainly good enough where the mets should be winning with their offense, only the offense isn't responding... esp. reyes.

and i don't complain about managers too often... i don't really see the point to find a scape goat when my team struggles.. but randolph really needs to get lastings milledge the fuck out of the starting lineup. he sucks and should have been traded when they actually could have gotten something for him.

The Phillies pitching staff is awful, too. I'm amazed.

The Phillies had Randolph's number on steals too.

i don't really have any problems with reyes getting picked off twice last night... the dodgers and padres were sooooo terrible at holding guys on and he stole soooo many bases that he was bound to get a little over-confident.

but in that ballpark if you hold the phillies to 5 total runs in two games (not counting the 2 they got in extra innings), with the mets offense they should win both games. blame the bullpen and marlon anderson all ya want... just like you can blame the bullpen and el duque's injury all ya want for last year's NLCS... fact of the matter is that the mets offense seems to be developing a pattern of disapearing in big games... starting at the top.

all that said... i expect them to be annoyed about that call last night and break out the whooping stick this afternoon. if they don't and struggle to score runs yet again i'm going to be quite pissed off.

they've completely choked in this series thus far, and if they don't get their act together, with atlanta next, they could very well choke away the division.

I'm amazed that they argued that so vehemently after the game, just because it was so blatantly obvious that he went after Iguchi. I mean, during the game, I understand, cause it ended the whole thing, but afterwards when you have time to think, "Oh wait, that's exactly what Marlon did?" I don't know.

The Phillies, before this series, were 2-32 in games where they score less than four runs. Now, they're 3-32 thanks to the Mets.

i don't get the whole interference rule myself... i think it's a load of crap. so you can essentialy take a guy out by running through him or taking his legs out with a tumbling slide, but if you push your arm at him it's illegal.

it's like the a-rod purse slap thing a few years back... if he would have just knocked the shit out of him it would have been legal 'cause whichever red sox player it was was in the basepath... but he slaps at it like a little girl, thus avoiding the potential serious injury that could happen to both players, and it's interference.

:shrug:

shame of the entire thing is that they never would have thrown green out at first and the game would have been tied anyways... that ball was hit way too slow to double him up.

Yeah, that was the worst part for Mets fans.

The announcers for the Phillies are idiots: not Kalas, but Wheeler and the Sarge. They don't get it. Sarge actually knows baseball, but doesn't know how to be a broadcaster. Wheels is the opposite: he knows how to broadcast, but doesn't know baseball. And he's buddies with Dave Montgomery, the owner, so he's a kiss-ass all the way.

07GaryMatthews.jpg

The lineup cards they give at the beginning of the game will help the umpires know what players are playing and in what order they are batting as well.

Willie ain't the tool. It's Anderson who's the tool. If he had just slid regularly, there wouldn't have been a problem. But, the fool throws a shoulder block at the dude and its blatant interference. If Anderson does a normal take out slide, the runner at first is safe and the tying run scores. Blame Marlon Anderson, not Willie.

I'm familiar with having a tool for a manager. Though, Charlie did a very good job on those two close games vs. the Mets.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
willie is a fucking tool because, on what's probably the most important game of the season for the mets this season, he sat half the starting lineup.

so yes, willie randolph is a fucking tool.

Ok, maybe Willie is a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom