The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Tribe are a very smart bet. I checked out the Yankees postseason roster and didn't see Mystique & Aura there, so you have to like the Tribe. I don't see why CC & Fausto can't get 3 wins in 4 starts, and even if they only get 2 it wouldn't shock me if Westbrook beat a banged-up Clemens.

But Cleveland's pen scares me...

What should scare you more is the Yankees lineup. But, I'm not going to make any predictions whatsoever about the Yankees. They've got a great team for sure, but anything is possible in the MLB playoffs. Any team in the AL has a good chance of making it to the World Series. That's how good the AL is.

MrPryck2U said:
What should scare you more is the Yankees lineup.

which is what scared people last year. funny how things work out sometimes.

bottom line... if the yankees pitch well, they have an excellent shot at #27. if they don't pitch well, they have an excellent shot at being picked off in the first round, no matter how good their beastly lineup may be.

I would if it was any other class besides my fourth-year seminar. I've got a paper due, so I really need to show up. I'm taping it, but it won't be the same...

Instead, I get to sit through three hours of "Topics in Canadian Social History - 'Nothing too Good for a Cowboy': Cattle Ranching in the North American West, 1850-Present" :huh:

DaveC said:
I would if it was any other class besides my fourth-year seminar. I've got a paper due, so I really need to show up. I'm taping it, but it won't be the same...

Instead, I get to sit through three hours of "Topics in Canadian Social History - 'Nothing too Good for a Cowboy': Cattle Ranching in the North American West, 1850-Present" :huh:

I swear to God, I just spite coke on my monitor. My secretary thinks I'm having a heartattack!

I feel for you man, but that was the funniest post I've read in a LONG time!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
there is a lot of money to be made on those cleveland indians, this is for sure. a risk, but isn't it all a risk?

One well-known sports book is offering CLE odds of +160 against NYY (risk 100 to win 160). So if you believe that CLE is better than a 5/13 (= 100/260) shot to win, this is a profitable bet.

A 5/13 chance to win the series equates to about a 44% chance of CLE winning any one game. I'd say CLE is defintely better than this, especially considering that they get a favorable pitching matchup (Sabathia vs. Wang) for a second time in Game 5.

DaveC said:

Oh, for crying out loud, this is why God invented laptops and streaming video/audio.

speedracer said:

Oh, for crying out loud, this is why God invented laptops and streaming video/audio.

There's no way I can get away with watching a baseball game in a discussion class that has only 8 people in it.

Trust me, I've considered all my options.

I still might skip it anyways. :shifty:

Dalton said:

I swear to God, I just spite coke on my monitor. My secretary thinks I'm having a heartattack!

I feel for you man, but that was the funniest post I've read in a LONG time!

Honest to god, that's what the class is!

It was either that or "Colonial Encounters: Race, Power, and Identity in Southern Africa, 1700-1950".

Look out Yankees!

Here come the Indians.

chineset.jpg

If I'm honest I know that this picture has not to do with this thread, but sometimes good times need to be shared...

I just want to say I am totally jacked up for these playoffs. I'm generally a Sox fan first and a baseball fan second, but honestly all 4 matchups are intriguing.

Phils/Rox - 2 red-hot teams that had to basically shoot their wad just to get into the playoffs. Yet somehow both have thier aces going in game 1, so they're on schedule to pitch a game 5 if necessary. Two high-powered relentless offenses, and as a bonus a longtime favorite player of mine (Tom Gordon) in the series.

Sox/Halos - It's the Sox, 'nuff said. To an impartial observer this is probably the least attractive series because LAAAAAAA is banged up and looks like an underdog on paper (the other series look pretty even on paper).

Cubs/Baby Backs - The young, hungry Snakes with their unsung ace Brandon Webb facing the sentimental favorite Cubbies. Cubs have some characters like Sori & Big Z & Sweet Lou, and I'll always have a soft spot in my heard for the DBacks, even if Luis Gonzalez is gone but never forgotten. Plus you get to root against punk Eric Byrnes.

Tribe/MFY - Don't let that 6-0 Yankee sweep fool you, this will be a great matchup. CLE has a nice lineup, though not on par with New York's - but the key could be their dynamic duo of CC & Carmona. These are 2 no-bull aces, and not NL aces either, the real deal. Sabathia vs. that lefty-laden NYY lineup will set the tone; if he can dominate as he has all year that puts a ton of pressure on the Yankee bats to try and beat Carmona, and pressing is the last thing you want to do against a guy like Carmona (or Wang for that matter). But there's always the chance that big game Andy can come up with yet another brilliant October performance. And if the Yanks can stay close in those first 2 games they of course have that X factor in their pen - a real lockdown setup man in Joba.

Is it just me, or do all these series look really exciting going in?

So I just saw the umpiring crew for Sox/Angels - it features CB Bucknor and Tim Tschida. Tschida has been dead to me since his fuckuppery in the '99 ALCS, and Criminally Brutal Bucknor is just terrible in general, and tends to have a strike zone the size of a dime when behind the plate.

Just peachy :(

I'm with you, CTU2fan, I like all 8 teams in the playoffs and think that all 4 Divisional series should be good. However, inevitable, at least one will unexpectedly suck.

^ Well Hamels gagging up a 3 spot in the 2nd is taking a lot of steam out of the Philly crowd...if Santa Claus is there he'd better find a poncho & a helmet.

CTU2fan said:
So I just saw the umpiring crew for Sox/Angels - it features CB Bucknor and Tim Tschida. Tschida has been dead to me since his fuckuppery in the '99 ALCS, and Criminally Brutal Bucknor is just terrible in general, and tends to have a strike zone the size of a dime when behind the plate.

Just peachy :(

A small strike zone is fine by me -- the Angels are the team that swings away, and the Red Sox are the team that takes lots of pitches.

speedracer said:

A small strike zone is fine by me -- the Angels are the team that swings away, and the Red Sox are the team that takes lots of pitches.

Good point. I'm not really worried, unless he ends up umping a Dice-K start...he seems to get a little rattled when he's squeezed. Schilling wouldn't care I don't think.

Dusty Bottoms said:
well the Cardinals just fired GM Walt Jocketty. Way to cap off a crappy season. Stupid.

Rumor has it he has a job waiting for him in Seattle if he wants it, along with Tony LaRussa. Not sure what Jocketty did to merit a firing - not his fault Carpenter couldn't pitch. I suppose Haren, Calero, and Daric Barton for Mulder was pretty bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom