The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Arizona would love to knock a division rival out of the playoffs. And their manager, Melvin, has too much respect for the game to do something that busch league.

No spoken words said:
I think Arizona would love to knock a division rival out of the playoffs. And their manager, Melvin, has too much respect for the game to do something that busch league.

But, I realize a minute leader, the Padres are in the same division, so, that part of it means nothing. Still, they'd never just "allow" the Rockies to win.

No spoken words said:

But, I realize a minute leader, the Padres are in the same division, so, that part of it means nothing. Still, they'd never just "allow" the Rockies to win.

I would do it for the simple reason that it would improve my team's winning chances. (It would be even more compelling if the Mets had won today, since then four teams would be beating their brains out in a playoff.)

As it is, it doesn't look like they're fielding their A-lineup anyway, though I see that they have just tied the score.

And yeah, I realize this argument is probably going to go nowhere fast, but hey, that's what message boards are for.

Last edited:
A fan would think about doing things like that, but, a manager would never do such a thing. Resting some starters makes sense, tanking the game on purpose is not an option. Boy, I figured the D-Backs were 2 years away from this, good for them. Rockies, too.

No spoken words said:
A fan would think about doing things like that, but, a manager would never do such a thing. Resting some starters makes sense, tanking the game on purpose is not an option.

I guess you're not a big NBA fan, then.

Yeah, I think it was pretty clear that teams were tanking for the NBA lottery. In a sport where one player can give a big boost to a franchise, I really can't blame them too much. The Spurs might have been doing the same thing when David Robinson got injured, the team went 20-62, and they got Tim Duncan the next year.

Obviously it sucks when teams have an incentive to lose games, and for that reason the NBA lottery really should be fixed. In the present baseball situation though, I would say that it's the Rockies' and Padres' problem if they can't win enough games to clinch a postseason spot outright.

Well, the D-Backs are clearly not tanking today, of course, and the MLB community usually goes out of its way to treat the stretch drive with respect, when playing against a contender. That's just the way it is in MLB. As for the NBA, I care less and less about it annually, but, I'd not be surprised if one day Doc Rivers admitted to tanking. But, that's the NBA. Not MLB. Also, I just would never want to be a party to that sort of thing, that's just how I'm wired.

Eh, anyway, Rockies have men on the corners, none out, bottom 8.

Double bonus: our pitchers get 3 days rest (perfect in baseball, not rusty like in football) and they have to put another do-or-die performance out there again tomorrow.

Plus, home game.

I've never gotten to discuss the playoffs with the Phightins before. This is still really unreal.

Congrats to the Phils....they came on strong when it counted...

And ha ha to the Padres....the Rockies deserve it so much more than you guys do, hope Colorado makes it...

I just don't want a potential Cubs/Pads matchup and have to see those hideous "Cub Buster" shirts come out again.......

0f74640c-dcd3-41eb-b01e-b7653ee36554.jpg

It's hard to believe this is the same team I watched just 6 months ago in Clearwater during spring training.I've been waiting, along with countless others, for this day. Congrats, Phillies. Let's keep it going into the playoffs!

Last edited:
The stat-geeks at Baseball Prospectus rate the Mets' collapse as the second-worst of all time.

(The 1978 and 2002 Red Sox also made their list, and the 2000 and 2001 editions nearly made it. Whoo.)

Brandon Webb should get some MVP votes, I think. Nobody talks about him for that particular award, but without him, the D-Backs are going nowhere.

But, I agree with the above.

Imarocker said:

yea NL Halladay

THE METS CHOKED bottom line........ha ha ha ha :lol:

i didn't know roy halladay played in the national league... and thanks for your one post on the 163rd day of the season, nothing like making an appearance to state an obvious fact that no one was disputing.

DaveC said:
But the Giants are still getting shitkicked tonight.

boo ya

NL MVP: Matt Holliday
AL MVP: A-Rizzie

NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy
AL Cy Young: C.C. Sabathia

NL Rookie of the Year: The Hebrew Hammer
AL Rookie of the Year: Brian Bannister :mad:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
NL MVP: Matt Holliday
AL MVP: A-Rizzie

NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy
AL Cy Young: C.C. Sabathia

NL Rookie of the Year: The Hebrew Hammer
AL Rookie of the Year: Brian Bannister :mad:

I'll have to use my biased opinion and disagree with your AL Cy Young choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom