The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the magazine, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, has already identified the leading candidate to buy the Cubs and has begun negotiations on a mega-deal. The publication's source says that the deal could reach $30 million per year over 10 years, with part of the contract deferred toward an eventual stake in the franchise.

Wow. Just, wow. ARod to the Cubs always seemed like a possibility. Would it be smart for them to try moving him back to SS, or would it be best to deal Ramirez for a SS and play Alex at third?

1190603501.jpg

Let's not forget to throw props to the Angels!!

Hewson said:
Its tampering to be negotiating with a player currently under contract, so I think this story is a large pile of BS.

come onnnn... like you don't think it goes on anyways.

i don't believe the story, i don't disbelieve the story. but to sign the first contract that would actually give the player a piece of the team upon retirement certainly does sound like a boras type of deal.

and besides... if he's talking to someone who doesn't own the team (yet), is it really tampering?

It's definitely tampering because A-rod's name cannot be mentioned in the same sentence with the Cubs or possibly any other team in regard to a future possible deal.
The Cubbies have definitely made great strides this season with their aquisitions, but I don't see them getting A-Rod.

A-rod's future with the Yanks boils down to how the Yanks do in October. If A-rod gives a shit about how he wants to be remembered in baseball history, he stays with the Yankees.

Finally, congrats to the Angels and Indians. I'm sure the BoSox and the Yanks know that they'll have their hands full regardless of which of these teams they face in the playoffs.

MrPryck2U said:
If A-rod gives a shit about how he wants to be remembered in baseball history, he stays with the Yankees.

this is the exact sort of bullshit arrogance that makes people hate the yankees.

what, like the yankees are the only team he can be on to be remembered as an all time great?

the yankees, at this point, need a-rod more than a-rod needs the yankees, which is a complete 180 from where we were at this point last year.

if he stays with the yankees for the rest of his career, he's a star amongst stars... and everyone knows that it'll never fully be his team as long as he's playing next to jeter, no matter what ridiculous numbers a-rod puts up.

if he goes to chicago, and god forbid actually wins a championship there... he won't be a star amongst stars, he'll be his own planet. forget a place in monument park... he'll be the friggin park.

MrPryck2U said:
It's definitely tampering because A-rod's name cannot be mentioned in the same sentence with the Cubs or possibly any other team in regard to a future possible deal.

you just mentioned his name in the same sentance as the cubs... is that tampering?

of course not... you don't own the team.

lastly, lemme ask ya this... name the last scott boras big name free agent to resign as opposed to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I really think the Cubs could be a great fit. Especially if he wins there, but even if he doesn't...the Cubs fanbase isn't like the Boston & NY fanbases; if you play great & the team loses in Chicago they'll still love you (Banks, Dawson, Sandberg, Sosa), great environment for a guy like Alex. And as Headache says, if he won there he'd be king.

Though you never know...I've heard more than one Sox fan trash guys like Schilling, Foulke, and Manny. Next they'll be booing Ortiz. But then again, that's Sox fans...we can be assholes sometimes.

And I'm not sure if that's tampering. Let's say Mark Cuban was buying the Cubs (which would be awesome by the way). Now say he hasn't bought them yet, could he or the club be penalized if he says something like "If I buy the Cubs I'm prepared to offer ARod 10/$300MM and a future stake in ownership to bring him to Chicago". First of all, who do you penalize, and what reason do you give? This isn't the NFL...if it was and that happened Roger Goodell would probably take season tix away from 1000 Dallas Mavs fans and force the White Sox to forfeit 10 games.

Speaking of tampering, couldn't MLB step in and bust the Red Sox for tampering, and send JD Drew back to the Dodgers? Definitely something to pursue...

MrPryck2U said:
If A-rod gives a shit about how he wants to be remembered in baseball history, he stays with the Yankees.

There's a litany of great players who are not associated with the almighty New York Yankees. Arod will go down as one of the greatest ever no matter where he plays. And in fact if he delivered the Cubs a WS win 100 years after their last (assuming they don't win this year), that would outshine him winning 5 titles in NY in the annals of baseball history. Get over yourself.

phanan said:

Jason Varitek, I believe.

varitek in '04 and bernie williams in 2000 are the only two high profile boras clients who have resigned with the same team. every other one, and i do mean every other one, has gone elsewhere. and even the cases of the two who did resign, it's always to the highest bidder, regardless of what's actually best for the client.

It's way too easy to get all of y'all riled up. I take it you ain't down with my hyperbole. Y'all gotta remember, it ain't easy being the Evil Empire, right? A-rod's easily the best player in the last 15 seasons and the Yanks are easily the best team in the last 15 years. So, the Yanks and A-rod are a great fit. If the Yanks and A-rod have a decent October, A-rod will probably stay in NY. If A-rod leaves, both LA teams could be at the top of his list.

MrPryck2U said:
It's way too easy to get all of y'all riled up. I take it you ain't down with my hyperbole. Y'all gotta remember, it ain't easy being the Evil Empire, right? A-rod's easily the best player in the last 15 seasons and the Yanks are easily the best team in the last 15 years. So, the Yanks and A-rod are a great fit. If the Yanks and A-rod have a decent October, A-rod will probably stay in NY. If A-rod leaves, both LA teams could be at the top of his list.

As long as he stays in the AL... :yikes:

ETA: Milton Bradley, torn ACL - out for the season. It's rare that I am thankful for injuries, but in this case I'll make an exception...maybe I am becoming a true Philly fan after all! :happy:

My highlight of games I was down at CBP this year was the day after Bradley showed up the Philly fans, and booing him everytime up, and giving him a standing ovation everytime he got out. And this season had some memorable live moments.

But the Padres are done now: Phillies vs. Rockies the way on out here.

Hewson and Phanam do not fit into that category in my book

CTU2fan has nailed it here... (twice)

CTU2fan said:

And I'm not sure if that's tampering. Let's say Mark Cuban was buying the Cubs (which would be awesome by the way). Now say he hasn't bought them yet, could he or the club be penalized if he says something like "If I buy the Cubs I'm prepared to offer ARod 10/$300MM and a future stake in ownership to bring him to Chicago".

If you read...a POTENTIAL purchaser of the Cubs has had a talk with Boras. In reality...it could hurt the the purchase of the team, but it is not tampering.

AND....

CTU2fan said:
But then again, that's Sox fans...we can be assholes sometimes.

:up:

I would say..."some of them ALL of the time" as to not generalize! We have some nice Red Sox fans here!

All this talk of A-Rod going to the Cubs amuses me, as if this season is already a foregone concluson. They might not even NEED him to win a World Series, the way they're playing right now.

Personally, I don't want it to happen. I think A-Rod is a bitch (I'm still not over that "slapping" play against the Red Sox in the ALCS 3 years ago), and as a life-long Cubs fan I don't want to be rooting for a team with him on it.

Also, we have yet to see him deliver in October, so how would that help the Cubs anyway? So he can contribute to another epic meltdown?

Going to the Wednesday night Phillies-Braves game. Look out for PF26 behind the dugout.

as far as a-rod goes, let's not forget about the Giants as a potential suiter... they will have a rather large hole to fill.. i'd bet they go hard after a-rizzle

and then there's willie randolph, who apparently will just continue to throw guillermo mota out there in key situations because he enjoys making things harder on himself and the team. but hey... gotta go with my guys.

i'm likely going tonight... if willie makes that walk out of the dugout and makes the signal for the rightie while mota's warming up, don't be shocked if you see someone running out of the stands to tackle him.

Interested in your opinion on this:

Should Joba go back to being a starter next season?

I was back home in NYC this weekend, and my Dad and I were debating this.

I think that, yes, he should go back. He seems like he has the potential to be a special pitcher, and to me, the Yanks would be better served with him in the rotation. He's got 3 great pitches, but only uses 2 as a reliever (we hardly see his curve, just that sharp slider).

Maybe it depends on whether Pettitte returns next season (which I hope he does).

Anyway, thoughts? Or, who gives a shit but me?

No spoken words said:
Interested in your opinion on this:

Should Joba go back to being a starter next season?

I was back home in NYC this weekend, and my Dad and I were debating this.

I think that, yes, he should go back. He seems like he has the potential to be a special pitcher, and to me, the Yanks would be better served with him in the rotation. He's got 3 great pitches, but only uses 2 as a reliever (we hardly see his curve, just that sharp slider).

Maybe it depends on whether Pettitte returns next season (which I hope he does).

Anyway, thoughts? Or, who gives a shit but me?

Rivera is almost at the end of his career, and Joba looks to be a dominant closer.

Kind of funny, because the Sox had the same thing with Papelbon. Was thought to be a starter, but has ended up the closer, and it's obvious it was the right choice.

I think the Yanks should do the same with Joba.

The general consensus is that you need three plus-pitches, and preferably four, to be a top starter. I guess it depends on how good his curve, changeup, etc. are.

speedracer said:
The general consensus is that you need three plus-pitches, and preferably four, to be a top starter. I guess it depends on how good his curve, changeup, etc. are.

He's got 3 good ones. 95+mph fastball that he spots fairly well. Very tight slider that he throws hard, and a nice, slow 12-6 curveball.

I thought that keeping Papelbon in the pen was a mistake, but, they had no viable alternatives.

Rivera might not be at the top of his game, but he's not exactly out of gas yet either. But, Joba could be an amazing heir apparent, and in the meantime, a fantastic bridge.

I see both sides of the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom