The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, maybe I'm biased here, but I think I'm pretty fair/realistic about things....so, that being said, let me just say that Joba Chamberlain has filthy fucking stuff. Seriously.

No spoken words said:
Look, maybe I'm biased here, but I think I'm pretty fair/realistic about things....so, that being said, let me just say that Joba Chamberlain has filthy fucking stuff. Seriously.

Yes...to your bias and JOBA being filthy (good).

It is actually nice to see bothe the Yankees and Red Sox using "youth" instead of cash to improve their team. I mean, minus the whole Gagne thing.

Boston fans ought to be screaming for Julio Lugo's head right now. What a bunk effort.

I'm really hoping the Phillies game doesn't go into a extras again. Last night ended at 2:30 am, I was barely alive in class today. :yawn:

The Phillies bullpen is bad enough, but tired now too?

All I can say is this scarily resembles them having too many late games last year down the stretch.

What a beeeeeuuuutifullllll win by the Cubbies tonight!!
Nice throw to the plate by Soriano, whew...saved us...

Let's Go Cubbies.. :happy:

Bonds: Man who bought record-breaking home run ball is an 'idiot'

September 19, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds said the man who bought his 756th home run ball and announced plans to let the public decide its fate is an "idiot."

Fashion designer Marc Ecko had the winning bid Saturday in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit last month to break Hank Aaron's record of 755 home runs. The final selling price was $752,467, well above most predictions.

Ecko, 35, has set up a Web site that lets visitors vote on three options for the ball: give it to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, brand it with an asterisk before sending it to Cooperstown or blast it into space on a rocket ship.

The asterisk would suggest that Bonds' record is tainted by alleged steroid use. The Giants slugger has denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs.

"All of those options don't weigh anything," Bonds told the San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday night in Phoenix. "In baseball, that number (756) stands."

Bonds said Ecko could have found a better way to spend three-quarters of a million dollars.

"He's stupid. He's an idiot," Bonds said. "He spent $750,000 on the ball and that's what he's doing with it? What he's doing is stupid."

Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt."'

Ecko plans to announce what he will do with No. 756 after voting ends Sept. 25.

Ben Padnos, the California entrepreneur who submitted the $186,750 winning bid on Bonds' record-tying 755th home run ball, said Tuesday he also plans to have the public vote on what to do with it.

On the Net:

Vote 755, http://www.endthedebate.com

Vote 756, http://www.vote756.com

Vote 756, http://www.vote756.com

I voted asterisk a bunch of times..bet that wins! It's already pissed Bonds off which is fine with me!

And NSW...whatever helps the Cubs, thanks!!!
You're a Steeler fan so you have to be cool...

randhail said:
I wonder how long the line to jump is at the Tobin Bridge :hmm:

Theo and Tito both announced on NESN that they basically don't care about winning the division; backing into the playoffs while waiting for everyone to get healthy is fine with them.

DaveC said:

The least funny comedian of all time.

Well...male, at least. I think Kathy Griffin takes top prize.

:|

I dunno, Kathy Griffin pulled ahead of him off of that Emmy acceptance speech the other night...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
that barry bonds ball thing is ridiculous... if the guy isn't going to keep it for his own personal collection then the ball belongs in the hall of fame, unblemished.

Absolutely.

The guy should have just sent me the cash instead of buying the ball.

And I hate that Theo & Tito are saying they don't care, division or wildcard. It really sounds defeatist. And they might not care...I think you can make a case that it's more important to try to get Gagne straight, to be cautious with Manny & Youkilis, to give Dice-K and the other starters extra rest. But there's also value in having home field throughout the playoffs, which they were in line to get. If you go in as the wildcard you either go to Anaheim, where they've had their problems, or you get Cleveland and the long series, which means 4 starts from Sabathia & Carmona.

I still actually think they'll win the division, but this TO series has truly sucked.

I don't really believe that anyone in the BoSox organization doesn't care if they win the division. NYY/Boston is the biggest rivalry in sports. Boston's entire fuckin existence is practically based on beating the Yankees. Which entails winning the division over the Yankees. I don't buy it at all. But, it sells newspapers and increases TV ratings, so fuck it, right?

Bottom Line: Boston wants to win the division and DOESN'T want the Yankees to win it.

I just wanted the Yanks to get in the playoffs, after that fucked up start. If the Yanks were slowly blowing the division after leading for most of the year, it would probably bother me a bit. Less because they "back in", but more because they'd be playing like shit heading inot October. You don't have to hit the playoffs on a crazy winning streak to advance (see 2000 Yankees) but it helps. I'm sure with Manny and Youkilis back, the Sox will be a different team, but, they look like crap right now.

NYY/Boston is the biggest rivalry in sports from the fan/media perspective, but not necessarily from the GM's perspective.

Sure, it's very reasonable to think that Theo and Tito said "we don't care about winning the division" just to cover their asses because of how poorly the team has played over the last week, but the key element that makes me think they're telling the truth is the lineup/bullpen decisions they've made. Sitting Crisp down yesterday, not rushing Manny/Youk back, sitting Lugo when the Wakefield/Cash combo was in, shutting Okajima down and throwing Gagne into a big spot and not taking him out when he gagged, etc.

MrPryck2U said:
I don't really believe that anyone in the BoSox organization doesn't care if they win the division. NYY/Boston is the biggest rivalry in sports. Boston's entire fuckin existence is practically based on beating the Yankees. Which entails winning the division over the Yankees. I don't buy it at all. But, it sells newspapers and increases TV ratings, so fuck it, right?

Bottom Line: Boston wants to win the division and DOESN'T want the Yankees to win it.
Like Spritle's older brother just said, thats the fans' perspective. The organization has only one goal and that is winning the World Series.

^ Yeah probably. That kills me, because I figured adding him would only improve an already solid pen and give them a chance to ease up on Okajima down the stretch. Reminds me of when the traded for Sauerbeck in '03 to be the lefty-killer and he sucked like a Hoover...

True. Sauerbeck just walked everybody, Gagne gives up bombs. I think I'll start calling him Eric Gascan; Gagme is too obvious. My Mom just swears at him in French when he blows games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom