The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3 - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #241
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:43 PM
oh i respected how good he was... i just, well... when i was in school in new england i took a white t-shirt and wrote "Pedro Molests Midgets" on it and wore it whenever the red sox had a playoff game.

yea... those were the days.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Aw man that's just wrong...though with the Tshirts I've seen around Boston on game day yours would probably just blend in. I dunno, I always thought "Jeter Swallows" was a tad over the top...

Old 09-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #243
Blue Crack Distributor

well that's where i got the idea from... the t-shirts that red sox fans would wear. i mean, i've seen the occasional "boston sucks" t-shirt on a yankee fan, but not like the t-shirts that red sox fans were wearing about various things going in and out of jeter/a-rod's mouth and ass.

thus where the "pedro molests midgets" shirt came from. i think i still have it somewhere

i hear brokeback jeter is the latest cute one... so clever.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Yankee fans. We're loud and crude and have a sense of entitlement and all that shit....but we're obsessed with our team winning, not with some other losing. I never have and never will understand why Red Sox fans don't just focus on how good or bad their teams is. I'd so much rather wear a Yankee shirt than a "Manny sucks" shirt. And, my Father's side of the family are all Sox fans, they are littered all over Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Eh.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #245
Blue Crack Distributor

pssssst... don't get the red sox fans angry

Old 09-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #246
Blue Crack Distributor

I have had a lot of angry, naughty words for the Mariners in the past week or so, but somehow I am amazed to see we're only 1 game out of the Wild Card lead.

How did THAT happen? Whatever the answer, I'm just happy to see we're still in the hunt.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #247
Refugee

Local Time: 06:43 AM
I had forgotten what that winning feelings feels like! I don't have high expectations, but I hope they can take this series from the Yankees.

And Ichiro became the 8th player in baseball history to get 200 hits in seven or more seasons. Fantastic! Pete Rose holds the all-time record at 10 seasons with 200 hits. I wouldn't put it past Ichiro to tie or break that record.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
pedro's back.
Talk about a signing that worked out well for both teams. He reinvigorated the Mets franchise (although with this last injury, I still don't think he was worth as much as he got, but whatever) and helped make them contenders again.

And the Red Sox, besides being able to use the money elsewhere, got a decent compensation pick for losing him...

Clay Buchholz.

Works for me.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i have a question for our sawk fans...

would you rather have

a) mike lowell and josh beckett

or

b) hanley ramirez (and his future) and the huge salary number that beckett and lowell make, which of course could be spent on another pitcher, although that pitcher might not be as good as beckett...

If I may answer.

About this time last year when Anibal Sanchez threw his no hitter, Beckett was struggling, Lowell was cooling off and Hanley was dominating, the answer was easily b.

A year later, the answer is a.

Beckett is a legit Cy Young candidate this year (that race is still wide open thanks in large part to Johann Santana being human in 2007), and frankly Mike Lowell is a legit MVP candidate. We all know Arod will win it, but Lowell's numers, .333 18 HR 101 RBI currently, on the best team in baseball (sorry John Lackey), make him worthy of a top 5, probably top 3 finish. If Arod hadn't had the April he had, Lowell might be odds on favorite, especially considering the production drop offs from Manny and Ortiz.

The salary for both is quite palatable this year, Lowell has proven that 2005 was the aberration and will get a decent offer (whether its from the Sox remains to be seen) this winter, and Beckett's extension looks like a stroke of brilliance by Epstein in this the Gil Meche era of MLB.

Hanley Ramirez has turned out to be better than advertised, and he was advertised as the Sox' top prospect, so thats saying something. I'd love to have him in Boston, but it was a price worth paying to get an ace type pitcher like Beckett, its much easier to find a shortstop than a frontline starter. Heck the Red Sox have gone out and found 73 shortstops since trading Nomar in 2004.
And Sanchez has become persona non grata in FLA after his no no, so not concerned about his addition to the deal tilting the scale in the south's favor.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Yankee fans. We're loud and crude and have a sense of entitlement and all that shit....but we're obsessed with our team winning, not with some other losing. I never have and never will understand why Red Sox fans don't just focus on how good or bad their teams is. I'd so much rather wear a Yankee shirt than a "Manny sucks" shirt. And, my Father's side of the family are all Sox fans, they are littered all over Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Eh.
Ah maybe you're right...I haven't heard a "1918" chant in 3 years

Seriously, a lot of Sox fans get annoyed by the "Yankees Suck" chant and various other ones, and the vulgar shirts. It makes us look like idiots sometimes. But I think it's toned down some lately (winning helped). I also think the fans in the Bronx were much worse pre-Torre, when they weren't winning. It's all cyclical...when the team loses you have the bitter/nasty chants, and when they win you have the smug/entitlement fans. It's the same group, and I don't think they're even the majority, but they're so loud that it seems like they are.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #251
is dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
.....but Lowell's numers... on the best team in baseball (sorry John Lackey)...
Uh, no.

Angels have a deeper pitching staff and a deeper bench than the Red Sox - now that most of the team is healthy (with the exception of Figgins, and he should be back in a matter of days).

Nope, the Angels are in fact a better team than the Red Sox right now. Sox fans will learn that real good come October.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by John Lackey

Nope, the Angels are in fact a better team than the Red Sox right now.
Right now,
Red Sox, 83-55
Angels, 81-56

Math certainly not your strong suit John, eh.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #253
is dead

Yeah, well, 4 days ago the Angels had a better record than the Red Sox. So I guess the Angels were only the best team in baseball on Friday.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Thats about the extent of it for the Angies, they'll be quick work for the Yanks in the ALDS.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #255
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Talk about a signing that worked out well for both teams. He reinvigorated the Mets franchise (although with this last injury, I still don't think he was worth as much as he got, but whatever) and helped make them contenders again.
signing pedro made the mets relevant again... without pedro, beltran and later wagner never would have signed, it's likely they never would have traded for delgado and loduca, and heck, who knows if wright and reyes would have been so quick to sign long term deals if not for the revival of the franchise. the trades that landed el duque, john maine and oliver perez? likely wouldn't have occured.

sure, it's possible some of this could have still happened without pedro's signing, and they may have been able to bring someone else in to get the ball rolling... but there aren't many dynamic personalities out there to match that of pedro martinez... and without giving him that 4th year, he never would have signed with the mets.

without throwing a pitch, he's been worth every penny they gave him. anything he does performance wise is gravy.