The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 2 strong starts for Yankee pitchers in a row. I don't know how to react.

Boy, the Sox are a great team, and are gonna win the division and all, but, wow, I just could not watch JD Drew play baseball for a whole season. Wait, I did in LA. But that was different, since I'm not a Dodger fan. I just never sense any life or passion from the man. He's like an anti-Varitek.

G-d, the Yanks need a sweep.

JD Drew was actually pretty hot for most of April but has since gone ice-cold.

The Yankees have a pretty big edge tomorrow as well (Mussina vs. Krueger); the game the Sox gotta get is on Wednesday, with Schilling vs. Pettitte.

Drew can hit, he can play, he puts up good stats when healthy, it's not about his talent. He just seems to be lifeless. I'll shut up.

It's be nice if Mussina went out there and pitched a strong game. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen, though. Hope I'm wrong.

Sweet memories of the St. Paul Saints

No spoken words said:
I just could not watch JD Drew play baseball for a whole season.

I watched him play a whole year in a Independent Minor League because he did not like who drafted him!

Make that TWO BoSox who pulled an Eli Manning-like move during the baseball draft! (Can you call it an Eli Manning if they did it before Eli?).

As a Twins fan I will always dislike Varitek (he didn't like what the Twins were offering...nevermind not liking the Twins, and returned to college for one more year)!

I thought baseball players do that all the time, because college baseball players don't lose their eligibility if they are drafted.

In my head, it's a John Elway, because the Colts drafted him in 1983 and he refused to play for them.....eventually the Colts traded him to the Broncos for what turned out to be not a hell of a lot. The guy's a hero and a legend, but I'll never forget that.

Neither will U2Kitten, who, I think, at that time, was inventing the monorail. Or was it the hybrid car? I forget.

I think drew played the year after Strawberry

speedracer said:
I thought baseball players do that all the time, because college baseball players don't lose their eligibility if they are drafted.

Yes...but he came out and so "there is no way I am going to play for the Twins (not an actual quote)." He was drafted the next year and then held out and ended up playing for the same team Drew played for.

Drew did NOT have the opportunity to go back to college. He played for the St. Paul Saints for a year.

I used to reflexively despise players who held out against the teams that drafted them, but I'm not so sure anymore. (Holding out against a team to which you are contractually bound is completely different, imo.)

I agree that from the fans' perspective it stinks, but I'm not sure I can fault a player too much for using whatever leverage he has. I know the draft is used to maintain some semblance of parity in the league, but it does go against free market principles. The best way to prevent a drafted player from holding out is simply to trade the pick or draft someone else.

Last edited:
Speedracer, I'd love to debate you on that point, but, it'd take forever and I suspect we'd never agree.

I will say that I definitely view players that signed a deal and holdout in greater contempt than the ones that pull an Eli or an Elway, but I still have issues with the latter situation as well.

Taken from the "always correct" source of Wikipedia...

1997: Drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies

Drew was the second overall pick in the 1997 Major League Baseball Draft by the Philadelphia Phillies. Drew and his agent Scott Boras elected not to sign with the Phillies, sticking to their guarantee that they would not sign for less than $10 million dollars. The Phillies had no plan to pay an unproven player this amount of money, and despite Boras' warnings, drafted Drew nonetheless. Consequently, Drew ended up playing for the St. Paul Saints of the independent Northern League.

Boras was (is?) Varitek's agent.

I would agree that a player should try to get what they can...but I believe the decision is often driven by the agents, not the player themselves.

A good example: Matt Harrington. It is an interesting read. He tried going the Drew/Varitel route. He is still with the Saints.

No spoken words said:
Neither will U2Kitten, who, I think, at that time, was inventing the monorail. Or was it the hybrid car? I forget.

Steam engine!

Last edited:
Oh, I agree that players get burned by greedy agents all the time. (And it's not just rookies and early NBA draft entrants -- anybody remember how Nomar's agent parlayed a 4 year/$60M offer from Boston into 3 years/$27M and a move to first base with LA?)

Re: Sweet memories of the St. Paul Saints

zoney! said:

Make that TWO BoSox who pulled an Eli Manning-like move during the baseball draft! (Can you call it an Eli Manning if they did it before Eli?).

Can you call it an Eli Manning if John Elway did it 2 decades prior? (nsw beat me to it but I had to emphasize it)

As mentioned above, it actually happens quite often in baseball.
Lotta players are drafted out of high school, weigh their options and go to college instead then re-enter the draft.

speedracer said:
Oh, I agree that players get burned by greedy agents all the time. (And it's not just rookies and early NBA draft entrants -- anybody remember how Nomar's agent parlayed a 4 year/$60M offer from Boston into 3 years/$27M and a move to first base with LA?)
Actually he originally parlayed it into 1 year, $8mil with the Cubs and Nomar had to prove himself healthy again before getting the "big" deal with LA.

Re: Re: Sweet memories of the St. Paul Saints

Hewson said:
Can you call it an Eli Manning if John Elway did it 2 decades prior? (nsw beat me to it but I had to emphasize it)

Lotta players are drafted out of high school, weigh their options and go to college instead then re-enter the draft.

such as roger clemens deciding to go to the university of texas instead of the mets, who originaly drafted him (imagine doc and clemens coming up together on the same team? yowza... strikeouts, crack and steroids for everyone!)

nomar was also drafted originaly by the milwaukee brewers, went back to school, drafted later by the sawks, signed the deal.

Hewson said:

I am glad we all have mentioned that people go back to college all of the time and have over looked my post about J.D. Drew and Harrington!

Oh, by the way, people go back to college all the time after being drafted.

zoney! said:

I am glad we all have mentioned that people go back to college all of the time and have over looked my post about J.D. Drew and Harrington!

I was actually referring more to your despisal of Varitek.
Everyone knows about Drew and what he did...but his is a rare case, a case like Varitek's is fairly common.

BTW...Did you know that lots of baseball players these days go to college after being drafted.

hey, they do this in hockey too!

Hewson said:
I was actually referring more to your despisal of Varitek.
Everyone knows about Drew and what he did...but his is a rare case, a case like Varitek's is fairly common.

I guess it's wrong to dislike a player, or even worse, a Red Sock!

Oh, guys....did you know that baseball players often go back to college (or, actually go to college) after being drafted.

zoney! said:

Would you change your opinion of Drew if he had signed a free-agent deal in Japan instead of some chumpy unaffiliated minor league?

Last edited:
Drew in Japan would have been out-of-sight and out-of-mind

speedracer said:

Would you change your opinion of Drew if he had signed a free-agent deal in Japan instead of some chumpy unaffiliated minor league?

Chumpy?

Daryll Strawberry
Rey Ordonez
Leon Durham
Matt Nokes
J.D. Drew
Jason Varitek (O.K....he is CHUMPY! ;) )
Jack Morris
Matt Nokes
Derek Lowe
Kevin Millar

They are owned by Bill Murray and Mike Veeck, son of Bill Veeck. The team has thrived five miles away from a major league stadium for 15 years now.

I enjoyed watching Drew there - despite his "holdout." I enjoyed watching Leon Durham and Matty Nokes realize they were done. I enjoyed lighting a cigarette for Daryll Strawberry at his locker after he had hit three homers one night (this was before his return to the Yankees). I enjoyed watching Ila Borders become the first female to play men's professional baseball.

Chumpy? hardly. Even with a pig as a ballboy.

He's been a very pleasant surprise his last few outings. I have to give him credit for that. He's picked it up whereas Wake seems to have hit a bump in the road. If this trend continues, I wonder if that could change the thinking that Tavarez is the odd man out when Lester comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom