The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Rare for both NY teams to suck at the same time, actually.

They did in the early 90's.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 PM   #467
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:34 AM
You read my mind...I typed that post, then recalled that the Yankes were just starting to get their act together then...and the Mets were on the downswing. Good point.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #468
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
I almost peed my pants today when I heard Ozzie's latest. It was something along the lines of these guys don't deserve to get paid for how bad they're playing.

I was at Monday's game. Sat in left field right behind the bullpen. Those poor SOBs. They blow. Left field is good times.
It's quite amazing how different they are now. I mean, they are basically the same team that won the whole thing less than two year ago.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #469
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Ozzie makes it through. The bullpen is horrific. He's really got no options out there. It doesn't help that his team has the lowest batting average by like, 10 points either. Sweet Jesus, they are bad. Not fun bad, mind you. We're getting there though.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #470
Blue Crack Supplier

The day Williams traded Rowand, my first thought was "there goes a team that aint repeating"...that may be oversimplifying things, but, teams that tweak their rosters too much after having a magical season seem to fail more than they succeed.

ETA - And I keep reading about Buehrle being on the block....WHA is the expert on the Sox, not me, but that does not seem like a wise thing to do...but maybe Sox fans think it is...I know more Cubs fans so far.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 PM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

It's quite amazing how different they are now. I mean, they are basically the same team that won the whole thing less than two year ago.
The bullpen is very different. Aside from Jenks (and he's iffy), I don't trust any of those fuckers. Thome is the only guy hitting consistently. Konerko is streaky b/c he's pretty much a head case. The starting pitching isn't too bad though. I like what I've seen from Denks. I think he'll be okay.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #472
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
[B]The day Williams traded Rowand, my first thought was "there goes a team that aint repeating"...that may be oversimplifying things, but, teams that tweak their rosters too much after having a magical season seem to fail more than they succeed.
[B]
Dude, at the time I was ecstatic to get Jim Thome. The Sock were pretty good last year. The starting pitching went into complete collapse mode in July. They still managed to win 90 games though.

Interestingly enough, Aaron Rowand has almost a cult following here. My sports radio guys have dubbed it "the cult of grindy." I wish Brian Anderson didn't suck. He is a better defensive center fielder than Rowand.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #473
Blue Crack Supplier

Ozzie called Danks out, said he needed to throw more strikes, he can't be having 100 pitch counts in the 4th. He's right, of course.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The day Williams traded Rowand, my first thought was "there goes a team that aint repeating"...that may be oversimplifying things, but, teams that tweak their rosters too much after having a magical season seem to fail more than they succeed.
That was a great trade though. Thome certainly hasn't been the problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Buehrle is my guy. I wish the Sock would give him a deal. I think he goes mid to late July. Dye too.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:46 PM   #476
Blue Crack Supplier

I'd rather have a guy like Rowand, with his defense and hustle than Thome, but that's just me. The Sox were not bad last year, but, not sure that was a trade they needed to make. I'm a pitching/defense fan, not a multi-million dollar DH fan...but, my team has Giambi, so, yeah.

I don't think it was a great trade at all, and it's not about Thome's play, it's about what they lost in Rowand. Again, just my opinion/outlook on what makes a team good....no need to harm your chemistry like that coming off a WS run.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Here's the thing about Rowand's defense: He made some great plays b/c he got a terrible jump/read on the ball. Some of his most spectacular catches should have been routine. Don't get me wrong. I loved the guy. He wore a Bears t-shirt under his jersey ever game.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 PM   #478
Blue Crack Supplier

I hear you re: Rowand and not always getting a good jump on the ball...but at least he still had the hustle and speed to make the plays anyway. When you have a guy like that, you don't deal him for a DH. You fix what's broken. GM's that play Fantasy Baseball with their rosters don't impress me.

ETA - Regardless, will be a bummer to see Dye/Buehrle get dumped. Buehrle in a Met uniform = bad, I hope he at least goes elsewhere. And, Dye, cannot believe he has been in the league since 1996....makes me feel old.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #479
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm off to read....enjoy the series, WHA, think of me sitting up in the nose bleeds on Sunday!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm leaving for MN on Sunday. Enjoy the game and the assclowns. (sorry Phil, you know I don't mean you ) Hopefully the Sock don't get swept.